Save handmade toys!

So have y’all heard about the new Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act? I learned about this right before Christmas and it is just so depressing. In a nutshell, legislation passed to protect children from unsafely manufactured toys was poorly written and hastily passed and unless amended will likely put small businesses out of business and make handmade toys unavailable for sale.

Don’t let them throw the baby out with the bath water! Save handmade toys!

Read all about it here at Cool Mom Picks. and here Handmade Toy Alliance and here on etsy

and vote on change.org to save handmade.

thanks.

32 thoughts on “Save handmade toys!

1. Annie says:

There is also a Facebook group that one can join, if you are a Facebook person… It seems like people are really mobilizing to make good things happen with this and there have been some positive signs so far but we have to all be encouraging everyone we know to speak up!

2. Sarah says:

Until December 31st, 2008, we have the opportunity to use the Obama web site to vote your support for homemade toys. The Obama transition team is soliciting questions from the public via their web site. Visitors may “vote” for the best questions, which will then be responded to by the Obama team.
    1. Visit http://change.gov/openforquestions
    2. Click the small “Sign In” text on the right-hand side of the screen. Sign-in with your email and password on the right. (If you haven’t signed-in before, just fill out the short form on the left.)
    3. Enter CPSIA in the Search Questions box and click the button.
    4. To vote for these questions, click the small “check” box beside it.

3. Deborah Moebes says:

Any chance the image above might make it onto a postcard? Am looking for ways to pass info along, and a great image like that would go a long way to helping my extended family and acquaintances put a visual with this issue!!

4. Queen of Procrastination says:

Sorry you have to deal with this kind of stupidity. Your creative work is wonderful. I’m sure this political silliness will pass. In the meantime please pleeze keep making your adorable toys. They bring so much joy and giggles just looking at them. You’ve inspired me to pull out my dusty sewing machine and attempt a ‘pointy cat’! :)

5. PeggyU says:

I don’t think the political silliness will pass, if this (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2008-41 ) is any indication. Check the voting and draw your own conclusion.
    What you should do, if you want to be heard, is look to see how your congresspeople voted, then write letters,email them, or call them expressing your disapproval or, if they voted “nay”, your support. If you want action, you need to hold them accountable.

6. Eerika says:

I’ve been worried about this too, and I’m not even American! I still stand to lose a big chunk of my market if worse comes to worse, since there’s no way I could have what I sell to the US tested.
    I really hope the act can be changed to protect both handmade toys AND kids from unsafe products.

7. Allison says:

I enjoy the fact that you have already made a doll and sign to go along with this. Should this be counted as sad because you have nothing better to do?

8. andrea says:

Happy New Year Hillary…
    I think this is a very important topic for those that are in the ‘handmade’ industry…I hope they can soon figure something out that makes everyone happy and is fair and safe to all.
    That’s such a cute doll by the way…

9. Gail says:

I signed a petition for this already! What about small business that is trying to make a big change?
    I made a doll from the pattern I bought. I love it!!! Thanks so much.

10. Bonnie says:

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of people! I have been worrying about this for a couple weeks as I make footies and slippers for babies, and SO many different facets of everything kid. It really affects the cloth diapering community because every wool, dye, thread, snap, and every element must be tested. I hope this law gets changed. I wrote my congressman and he sent me back a boiler plate e-mail thanking me for my SUPPORT! I wish that they would at least actually read what we are saying. Sigh. At least you will still be able to sell your patterns. I need that girl doll to cheer my spirits.

11. geekxnerd says:

Ugh. I’ve written to both my Congressman and Senator, joined online groups, sent tons of Facebook messages, and I think signed every petition floating on the internet about this issue. It’s terrible! Small business is the backbone of the economy, and something like this could put so many people out of business, in an already terrible time! Not to mention take away unique, beloved toys that for years have been the alternative to the cheap, plastic, chemical laden crap that caused this hastily written legislation to pass in the first place. I hope that CPSIA listens to the people and seriously revamps the wording of the legislation!

12. Sarah says:

I wonder if it’s possible to get around this by marketing a product as a “soft sculpture” rather than a “toy”.
    I’m in Australia, so I can’t really write to anyone about it, but I find this ludicrous. Of course dodgy toys from China are a problem, but I think if the government is serious about this, they should offer free inspections.
    Otherwise people who make handmade toys may have to sell them on the black market 😛
    (Man in trenchcoat in dark alleyway:”Psst! Ya wanna buy a teddy bear?”)

13. Elizabeth says:

I have a lot of links on my blog also. I make children’s clothing and this has been overwhelming. The CPSC is requesting comments right now from the public over different testing methods. I hope some kind of changes will be made or I will be out of business. I’ll have to look at that Etsy link but so far there has been NO exception made for the quantity of items being made.
    Thanks for posting about this!

14. water works says:

While I don’t make and sell my creations, I will be watching the outcome of this movement with interest. I really liked what the Handmade Toy Alliance had to say. I have been reluctant to purchase handmade from unknown artists simply because too many I’ve known or read about are proud to dodge income taxes by not reporting their cottage industry incomes. As a work out of the home mother, I am offended by that. I think the HTA ideas will insure good quality, law abiding products, while allowing the small toymakers to thrive.

15. mandy says:

Thanks for posting! I really don’t think people are fully aware of the implications of this law. I just can’t believe that the new media has not picked up on this yet!

16. christine says:

Thank you for getting this out there. I have been frantically emailing blogs I read letting them know. This is just plain crazy. Why do ‘we’ always over-compensate and create new problems?
    Anyhow, thank you for getting the word out. I would be lost without all my handmade toys. My daughter just adores her special toys!
    Thanks,
    Christine

17. Stacey says:

I want my daughter to grow up thinking of her handmade toys as special treasures, not contraband! I am so devastated by the carelessness with which this was passed.
    Kudos to getting the lead out, but not even allowing the little guys to comply–how is this even legal?

18. Traci Hudson says:

There’s a few forums on Etsy regarding this issue. I think it’s encouraging to see people use their voice and for Congress to hear. There is a glimpse of hope from this news article that I found. A spokesperson from the CPSIA basically states that one-of-a-kind products are exempt from testing.
    Whoo! Talk about wiping the sweat from my forehead.
    I don’t know how to post active links on comments, but you can copy and paste:
    Also, another craftser found another article supporting this exemption that stated,
    “There are exceptions to the testing rule for crafters making only one unique copy of each item, said Julie Vallese, spokeswoman for the Consumer Product Safety Commission.”
    I think we’re in the clear.

19. robyn says:

thank you, thank you for posting this. you can also put a link to the save handmade goods and a link to the change.org vote on your sidebar. new rounds of voting are starting on monday at change.org, so the question is starting all over again. So, everyone who voted before has to go vote again for it to be picked.