who needs toys you can actually play with anyway

I’ve got a few new additions this Christmas to the collection of paper dolls I had as a kid that I’m gradually amassing for Phoebe.

Early America. (I showed these to Mom and she said, oh your
grandmother must have bought you those and I bet you hated them. She’s
probably right. Not roller disco enough.)

The Ginghams were my favorites. My sister had two sets and I had two, if I remember right. This is the first box I’ve won. Gingham fans are very competitive! Also a 1970 Barbie wedding set that came with a lot I won.

These I didn’t have as a kid but I just love them. 1950s Snow White.

and I’m still expecting a little something, something much more glamorous than Early America. Can’t wait!

27 thoughts on “who needs toys you can actually play with anyway

1. Sarah says:

Ack! I totally had 4 boxes of the ginghams: Carrie, Becky, Sarah, and I can’t remember the third!!! Grrr. I totally forgot about them until I just saw this. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :0)

2. Alli says:

Oh, the Ginghams! I had forgotten about them. I had four sets that my mom purchased from a neighbor’s yard sale. They were definitely among my favorite paper dolls.

3. Sara says:

These are so fabulous! Do you scan them in for future preservation? I’m such a digital hoarder like that.
    My mom dug up some paper dolls of mine, and this’ll date me, but they were POOCHIE! I totally scanned them in.

4. Mia says:

I love the paper dolls! I used to have a ton when I was little, they were always excellent during road trips.
    My favorite ones were my Vivien Leigh ones that I cut out on our Grand Canyon road trip :)

5. Paige in Va says:

You have brought back memories! I had that Snow White set and distinctly remember that beautiful red dress as a favorite.

6. Gretchen says:

The Ginghams! I remember them! I had a coloring book or two if I remember right. I always thought they were somehow related to Holly Hobby, whom I loved dearly!
    Since you are very attuned to vintage dolls- ever heard of Floppy Sox? She was my very favorite doll, that I still have, and I’ve not been able to find anything online about her.

7. dottyspots says:

I love the look of the Snow White doll.
    I used to love paper dolls and my cousin and I would spend hours with ours. I’ve just got a new printer and I’m hoping it’ll give decent print outs of some of the lovely ones that are available online.
    I sub to Haute Doll and there are always some paper dolls in the centre pages, but I’d need to scan them in and print them, I couldn’t possibly cut them up from the magazine.

8. Myshell says:

I haven’t thought of The Ginghams in years!! Thank you so much for sharing! Makes me want to break out my 1950s paper dolls and remember what I have.
    Cheers!

9. Michelle says:

Oh my goodness, the memories!!!! The ginghams were my favorite too, but I had some of the others as well!! I have a collection of baby dolls that I had as a child in a china cabinet in Gabrielle’s room, the ones I no longer have, I look for on ebay… I just want her to have them!! :)