ribboned dolls

I managed to tear myself off ravelry last night long enough to finish up this little gal. I want to add some dolls to the shop this Fall and have been working on some ideas. I’d had this ribbon bordered doll idea brewing for a long while. Started back when I was making these pincushions and then I gave it a go trying to make these appliques into dolls with black velvet ribbon around the edges but it didn’t really work out. This gal was tricky too, and slow going, but I love how she turned out. Not sure if she’s the shop doll though.

I’ve got big plans folks, big big plans. And what’s making me even entertain the thought of big plans? School is on! It’s just few hours a day preschool so it’s not all life-changing bittersweet but just… SWEET!!

57 thoughts on “ribboned dolls

1. Sarah says:

Love this doll! I would never be able to make her on my own, but would buy on in a flash! I like how she’s Spanish, or old world style. Great job!!

2. aardvark says:

Absolutely beautiful! You should sell patterns on Etsy. I so admire those who can create and innovate. I can follow directions but not come up with the original ideas. This is so pretty. I bet you could come up with a whole family with pets, grandparents, etc.

3. tulip says:

“I’ve got big plans folks, big big plans.”
    Hee! We just bought a book called “Big Plans” and it’s great!
    Beautiful doll too!!

4. Nicole says:

You are so funny! Preschool starts for my son in a couple of weeks… I too have plans! Plans like I have never had before and it is great.
    Um. I too am addicted to Ravelry. Who has time to actually knit anything???

5. georgia says:

Another wonderful creation. :-)
    And I LOVE the illustration on the cannister behind her. What a fantastic embroidery pattern it would make!

6. Lotta says:

I adore that! Though I’m partial to felt and anything with a Swedish/Norwegian vibe so I was hooked right away.
    My son is starting half day kindergarten and my daughter is starting preschool. I could just weep with both relief for the time to myself and sadness over the time without them.

7. Denise Leavens says:

Hilary,
    This little gal is beautifully sweet. Thank you so much for taking the time to tear yourself away to finish her and to share her with us all!

8. Janice says:

Hey! I’ve been making pincushions like yours too! I have ‘little kits’ made up in ziplock bags. There are some at the house, and a few in my purse….so I can work on them whenever, since they are all hand sewn. Then later I stuff them, around the edge, near the stitches, I have been using the new bamboo stuffing, (I like it better than the poly stuff) Then I added sand. I love their weight! Your doll idea is GRAND!

9. jessica says:

you are so incredibly creative! i love how you look at softies and dolls and materials so differently =). keep it up!

10. Linnea says:

What a beautiful doll. I haven’t gotten on board with ravelry yet… it sounds dangerous :o) but back to the doll… I love all of your little details. Everything is perfect right down to her cozy heartwarmer and the way her arms float over the skirt. Just beautiful!

11. Nicole says:

Love it! The ribbon adds such great texture and color to your already original baby doll. Can’t wait to see what else you have up your “free time” sleeve.

12. Jaime says:

I especially love your fairy stichette! I’m glad to have found your work through a mutual flickr contact. I will be back again. Also, LOVE the paper dolls. Every girl needs those.

13. Lil' d says:

She’s sweet.
    My youngest starts preschool in a few weeks, but they put my son in the later class for kindergarten. Darn. All I get is an hour to myself.

14. Shannon says:

that dool is the bomb. I look forward to seeing what else has been floating around in your head.
    School back in means half the clan is away and things are much quieter. Lots of work getting done, I feel your joy.

15. rosey says:

great minds think alike, as i was hanging out the washing i was counting down the months until my middle child would be in prep (full time here in australia) and praying that my third child doesnt give up her day time nap:) not that i am creative like you, but i would like to have some time to create:) love the doll so pilgrimish. mmwah rosey

16. jojo says:

Hello…..I am a little late in congratulations & salutations….but what a fab effort….
    I think your dolls & softies are just beautiful….
    your latest is a winner…
    cheerio …jo