last days of summer

collecting rocks at peck farm

hanging out in a quiet corner of the arboretum

signing up for ravelry and getting ready to knit! So far I’ve knit 24 rows of the thinking dress, frogged 14 rows, reknit 11 rows. I’m still pretty rusty at chart following. If I ever finish up this jumper I want to make some hats for Phoebe. Any good toddler hat recommendations? Can I collect those in ravelry? I still haven’t quite figured out what’s going on over there.

30 thoughts on “last days of summer

1. Becky says:

Definitely check out Itty Bitty Hats by Susan Anderson (you can see it on Ravelry). Such cute hats, plus it’s a good way to learn to make basic hats, and then you can embellish to your liking.

2. Jenni says:

I adore the Olive You hat in Itty Bitty hats. Alison of the Blue Blog has made many hats from this book.
    Yes, you can collect patterns in Ravelry. Either add them to your favorites or queue them up.

3. Mama Urchin says:

The thorpe hat is sized for a child. I made a small and it fit my almost 3 year old. But if you used a thinner yarn and tighter gauge it would probably fit Phoebe too. The hat is great for little ones because it has ties and earflaps.

4. dottyspots says:

Ravelry – the great sucker up of knitting time :0)
    It is great for searching out patterns, one of my favourite things is the ability to have a look at what people have knitted from books I’m interested in buying (gives you a better feel for the book if you can’t leaf through it first).
    I’m a balaclava fan – I really love knitting balaclavas for children, such a good way of keeping ears and neck warm :0)

5. Gretchen says:

Just sent you a message via Ravelry, so you can get a hang of using that (as well as locate the pattern browser, if you haven’t already).
    Glad to have you in the Ravelry community – you’re going to have a blast!

6. Jennifer says:

Yes, you can find a ton of patterns on Ravelry.
    I posted recently about a hat I knit for my 3 month old, but it could easily be enlarged for a toddler. I didn’t post any directions as I’m thinking about writing it up to try and publish. Check my post out here (http://www.whatididatschooltoday.com/archives/2008/08/all_in_a_days_w.html#comments) and email me if you want directions. It was WAY easy!
    Oh, and excuse the crummy photo; my husband’s a photographer. I ought to know better!

7. Colleen says:

Oh i love ravelry! You can sort of collect patterns you like, by favoriting them, then you can go back and look at them, and you can search projects like “toddler hats” and loads of projects people have made will come up. Also its good to throw in “free” to the search so you can find some good online patterns

8. Kate says:

Oh yes, lots and lots of lovely patterns! you’ll soon have a huge list of toddler hats! I hope you don’t mind me adding you as a friend… I find that another great way of finding patterns is to see what your friends have been favouriting and queuing, you can do this by clicking on ‘friends’ and then choosing the ‘friend activity’ tab. If you have friends with similar tastes you’ll always be adding to your queue this way! I quite like this at the moment http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/koru it’s a baby hat, but I think the detail in it is lovely…

9. Bianca says:

Gorgeous summery photos Hillary, makes me feel happy that spring is almost sprung over here on the other side of the world.
    I just finally joined ravelry too after holding off forever and ever. I’m finding it a bit overwhelming. I went looking for toddler hat patterns the other day and there were too many to sift through!
    I did recently knit a simple sweet little hat for my boy though and I’m resizing it at the moment for a 3 yr old. If you like it I’d be happy to share the pattern.

10. julie says:

Ditto Jenni’s comment. Alison is the queen of all things toddler hat! Welcome to the time suck that is Ravelry! You can find anything on there!

11. Mandy says:

Check out the Thorpe pattern (just search, on Ravelry, for Thorpe) from Kirsten at Through the Loops. It has ear flaps! The small I think is 17″ which would probably work for a little person (my 2-year-old’s head is 19 inches or something crazy like that). It’s free!
    I also like the Ear Cozies pattern from Fiber Trends, but that’s not free and you’d probably have to go to a store to buy it.
    Have fun on Ravelry!!!