‘cation

Tim took a few days off from work last week to work on some Wee
Wonderfuls stuff. Sort of a workcation. Isn’t that sad. But the up side
is there’s lots of fun new stuff in the works. Fun to me at least, a
new site design, a new shop, another new site, some new product(s),
etc. yay! Of course none of the cations, va, stay or work really are
too effective with two small kids. Every day is basically the same.
Feeding, cleaning, playing, cleaning, errands, park, and brief moments
of trying to keep them happily distracted long enough to complete a
thought. It’s in these moments I realize we’re at a serious handicap…
trying to run a small business with no real business sense. When things
are quiet and we work on the w.w. to-do lists I realize all the doh!
moments. Things we should have done, should be doing, things I see
others doing, etc. It stresses me out. I can see why people go to
consultants and life coaches and the like. Knowing what to do and when
is so tricky. Guess that’s why I choose, more often than not, to just
push it out of my mind and keep focusing on the making. And why,
instead of emailing pattern distributors like my to-do list says, I’ve
spent the past two days making a funny little pillow guy. But hey,
that’s important too. If the sun comes out today I’ll snap a pic of
him. You’ll see.. it was definitely an essential activity.

24 thoughts on “‘cation

1. Maggie says:

Aw Hilary! It must be so difficult but you get so much done. I haven’t done anything in ages and I have no children – though my boyfriend could be considered one. Don’t get too stressed out, and enjoy Tims time off!

2. LizAndrsn says:

I think the very fact that you are able to channel your creative thoughts to a final project means you must be doing something right. That, and you probably work instead of sleep. Am I right?!!

3. elliebelle says:

A funny little pillow guy should most definitely take precedence! :) Keep up the good work – I admire you for having your little shop up and running – I think you are doing a wonderful job.

4. Jessica says:

i find that things happen in their right time … don’t beat yourself up too much if the 1000 things on your list don’t all get done at once! especially the items that are really intimidating [like me, ahem, it’s taken me two MONTHS to email somebody] … at some point, maybe in a couple days or a couple weeks it’ll feel right and then you go for it =). but until then, funny little pillow guys!

5. Laura says:

At least you’re making the funny little pillow guy! I totally know what you mean. I like to jump into completely unnecessary projects when I have a long list of VERY IMPORTANT things to do. I can’t wait to see all the new stuff coming!

6. Deborah says:

I run a small business, too, and hear your pain!! It’s SO hard to keep up with everything, and I don’t even have small children at home anymore! I have To-Do Lists all over the house and I’m never ever caught up; just feel fragmented most days! But, oh so worth it, when the alternative is to work for someone else! Hang in there, and I can’t wait to see your latest creation!

7. Melissa H says:

Well you sure seem to be doing something right. the number of adorable patterns you’ve developed boggles the mind. Congrats on your ongoing (well deserved) success!

8. Jennifer says:

You make me feel so normal! It is so hard with two little ones at home; we have trouble even having a conversation around our house. By the time they’re both in bed, we’re so tired that we’ve forgotten what we wanted to talk about! I’m just glad to know that others are right there with us!

9. Elizabeth says:

Hi! I love the pillow and I love your blog. I am a business librarian in a large public library and your concerns about running a small business are concerns I hear everyday from my patrons. I would definitely suggest contacting the local Small Business Administration (www.sba.gov). I would also recommend your local Chamber of Commerce. And, of course, your library! Our library has a dedicated business center and we do a lot to help local business thrive but most libraries recognize that a healthy local economy helps them so they are also offering business services. Ok, I will get off my soapbox now. :)

10. georgia says:

I think that making your little pillow person (love him/her!) was definitely an essential. You’ve got to do some fun stuff along the wat or it all gets too hard.
    xx

11. Dawn Elizabeth says:

I feel the same way some days and my husband has been in business 11 years and we are still winging on those days. Here’s a book that really helped us it’s called Crafting as a Business by Wendy Rosen. You can get it pretty cheap on Amazon and I think it will point you in the right direction.
    Good luck!

12. Linda and Laura Lilly Cottage says:

Oh we are so with you on the boring stuff, paper work of any kind makes our head spin and Laura won’t even open the mail for fear there will be some sort of paperwork that needs attending to. I open it I just don’t do anything with it, just add it to the pile…perhaps if they printed it on pretty paper with a little bit of sparkle I might be more interested! Good for you to create pillow guy. When inspiration calls you have to follow! Have a lovely day, kiss noises Linda Lilly Cottage

13. mojoandco says:

There’s something magical about small children (at least I’m hoping it’s only the small ones). No matter how many errands and chores need to be squeezed into the day and how many parents are around, the wee ones seem to absorb any spare time we think we might have.
    Good luck with all your new projects!

14. Margie says:

I have been following your blog for a few months now. I am no expert but i find you incredibly talented and a true inspiration. The things you create make my jaw drop and my heart pound. So as I sit surrounded by a pile of laundry, I peek into your world because it always makes me smile. Thank you for all you do. Good luck with the juggling act :)

15. Claire says:

Oh how I hear you! I seem to keep missing opportunities and “sensible” business directions because life and kids and fun craft keeps getting in the way!

16. rosey says:

wow you have encapsulated my life except for the small business, i work part time, but trying to keep up with the kids and the rest is mind numbing. i have started a blog which i manage to get to on my two days off when the baby is sleeping and my 4 year old is ponked in front of a video. i hope you dont mind me adding you as a link.
    hope you find a moments peace soon.
    rosey

17. Pretty Jane says:

Wow, do I ever feel the same way most days! If I can get motivated and get things accomplished when the children are occupied, so that when the inevitable needy period sets in I don’t feel quite so guilty leaving the machine to go do the Important Stuff, then it’s a good day. That, and I’ve learned a few power phrases, like “I’ve been in R&D ALL DAY” when my husband comes home and I have little tangible to show for my hours of labor, or “It’s a prototype” for when I NEED to spend two days making a pillow with a face on it, even though it wasn’t anywhere on the list. I find these phrases help me maintain a relentlessly positive outlook–essential defense, as far as I’m concerned, especially with ANOTHER baby on the way!!
    Love your work, homie. Keep fighting the good fight!

18. laurie says:

I just love your blog, I seriously do. What a wonderful post- a snapshot of all those elements of life… the stuff behind your (family’s) beautiful creations.
    *happy sigh*