fairy dress-up

Ok. I drew up the instructions for the fairy dress-up dress. They’re a little slapdash but should do the trick. I was hoping to make another for Phoebe and was planning to draw up the instructions as I went.  Unfortunately I didn’t have any good coordinating fabrics on hand to go with my new pink cotton lawn print (also from sale aisle at JoAnns) so I had to just draw this up by memory. Hope it works! Nothing is very exact. I figured it’s dress up, and it’s a pullover apron deal so it doesn’t need to be exactly the right size and will last a few years before it’s outgrown. And I didn’t want to finish any edges so that’s why it was put together the way it was.. finishing-free. But you’re lucky, Tim saved you. He insists my handwriting is illegible so he went through and typed up all my handwritten instructions. So now it’s fancy! Here it is. Here’s the original in case you’re wondering what the heck I’m talking about.

handmade girls fairy dress

25 thoughts on “fairy dress-up

1. anne says:

Squeee!!! I’m so excited! My girlie won’t be playing dress-up for a couple years, but this will be fabulous when she does. I LOVE it. I’m about to make some pointy kitties as well. You’ve inspired me to try to make a whole zoo of animals…we’ll see how it goes!

2. Nicole says:

What a special treat! I can really visualize what to do with your handy instructions. I know there was a great reason to read your blog.:0)
    Mahalo H.L.!

3. Marcy says:

Oh, thank you so much Hillary! My daughter wants to have a fairy birthday this year, and this wonderful dress will make it extra special. You are a true gem!!

4. susaninfrance says:

oh that is my kind of sewing!! thanks!! I saw some of your embroidery in the Mary Englebreit Home Companion just out– (it was very small and in a picture of the Renegade Craft Fair–on a table being sold I guess).

5. hillary says:

susan,
    yeah, saw that. very sucky. home companion is doing a blurb on pointy kitty this fall. it’ll be the first time my name is actually mentioned alongside my work in that magazine. very exciting!

6. Michelle says:

This is so adorable. I want to make it so bad. I have two little girls ages 5 and almost 3 who would love it. I’m not sure if I could do it though……maybe I’ll read through your instructions a few times and see if I understand. I am a beginner sewer for sure.

7. alison says:

Oh. Lovely. So what if I only have boys? There are girls at his Montessori Preschool. Huzzah! I will surprise them with some new costumes!!

8. Shelly G. says:

Your pattern is so wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to share… I know I said it when you first posted the pictures… but I love the idea…I especially love that it can be tied on sort of like a cute little apron… so clever… a wonderful way to dress up… thank you:)