weewonderfulness

I’ve been spending a lot of time lately thinking about wee wonderfuls and what it exactly is all about. You know how flickr has interestingness, well I’ve been looking back through my photos trying to determine their wee wonderfulness. I tend to feel like my work is all over the place but then, on the other hand, I feel like I’m just making the same things over and over. I think that may be because my sketchbook and craft-to-do wishlist are years ahead of what I actually have time to get to. From my flickr pics one thing is clear if it’s got salmony pink and mustardy yellow then it’s earned its tag of weewonderfulness.

Mosaic3435373

33 thoughts on “weewonderfulness

1. melissa s. says:

I so agree! Whenever I’m purusing flickr I can instantly pick out a wee wonderful piece even before I see your name. Your voice comes through so clearly in your designs. You capture that perfect blend of uniqueness and accessibility, which is why I love your style!

2. Barbara says:

I think it’s all about the eye to the details. It’s the little touches that make something simple into something simply beautiful, and you accomplish that quite well.

3. nicole says:

Oh, I just wanted to say that you are one of my favorite blogs and I stop by every day (guess I’m delurking now) and I love your work. I don’t think having a recognizable style is necessarily a bad thing, it’s a signature, an expression of who you are and what you do. I also wanted to thank you for the freebies that you so generously share with us all. And I also wanted to say how sorry I was to read that you were so clearly copied by another company.
    Anyway, we all love your creations and your blog. Thank you for what you do, Nicole

4. Anneke says:

Wee Wonderfuls is all about you. Sometimes you spend a lot of time searching and wondering what your life (and everything you do) is heading towards. Maybe you got off the road, and that often feels strange, but at the same time it’s good to watch things from a distance. In my case I discovered that the things I did in the past (and still do, over and over again) are simply the things that are ME, and that I’m quite happy with that!
    Hope you’ll find your way too!

5. Rebecca says:

You are truly gifted and inspiring and your work always makes me smile. I want to own everything you make and at the same time you inspire my own creativity. Because of you I am finally giving my knitting needles a brief rest and learning to sew! Thanks for being so personable and for sharing your projects, thoughts and photos with us.

6. elliebelle says:

What a lovely assortment of photos. When I see your designs, they have a wonderful signature “look” to them. A very cute and sweet appearance, with lots of character! Keep up the great work!! 🙂

7. Jennifer says:

I think we all struggle with questioning creative efforts from time to time. I also think it is necessary to self evaluate our work, because when we look back we also learn something from ourselves or past work. I think what makes WW is the sweet quality to your work. This “look” is WW. Keep up the great work, but keep challenging yourself too.

8. meg says:

Even as your dolls change shape, they still reflect your aesthetic. Your work is definately recognizable, but also always changing. For example, your new embroidery project, the tulip fairy, is much more fantastical than the ones that came before, but still in your style. Mostly I’m saying, holy crap! you have achieved balance. right on.

9. Jill says:

I often feel the same way you do with my own artwork – that I’m creating the same thing over and over again. But when I take time to look way back at where I started, (embarassing, ugly stuff that I would be hard pressed to claim today!) I realize that oh yeah, I am evolving as an artist! We are our own worst critics! I find your work and choices of colors inspiring and am glad that you have your own unique wee wonderfullness! Keep doing what you’re doing – it works!

10. Sophie says:

Your stuff is so cute :). I’ve never sewed anything before, other than a simple beanbag in 5th grade :P, but I think it’s safe to say you’re quite talented :). I wish I could have these little cute things all over my house!

11. Colleen says:

I’ve been reading this blog every day for a year and think your incredibly talented, you don’t need to change color schemes to prove that. I love all your work! =D

12. erin says:

my sketch book and wish list of things to do is years ahead, too! i don’t think you are all over the place or that you do the same thing over and over. it all seems extremely cohesive and balanced to me. this must be because you do what you love – it is really apparent to me when i look at the details and the aesthetic of your work.

13. amandajean says:

hillary, your work is wonderful! it may not seem cohesive to you due to the fact that you are so closely involved….you definitely have a unique and beautiful style in your work.

14. laeroport says:

Hillary,
    I have been such a fan of your work. In fact you were the one that inspired me to get to sewing again after a lapse of years and to start blogging – nearly two years ago now.
    For me the overall wee wonderfulness has been a certain sweetness to all your work, without it ever being sappy or trite. The small details, the making things in a series – it is all so appealing.
    With all the bad in the world, from the war to the economy to the horrible images that flash across our TV and movie screens, it is so comforting to work on your projects and put a little good back.
    So thanks.
    Lori/laeroport

15. Melissa says:

Your creations definitely have a look. Color choice is probably part of the formula. It also has a big dose of brilliance that you add to everything you make. That’s why some less creative folks (like the crazy company in Australia) have chosen to copy your work.

16. Leigh says:

I believe that you and your work sum up the word “happy” for me. You have real talent. I, like so many, appreciate you and your creativeness!

17. nancy heard says:

hmmmmm………i am SO curious to see where your musings will take you. i would only argue that it doesn’t seem to me at ALL that you make the same things over again. i think all your works have an excellent “flavor” of wonderful. it’s what you bring to them and that’s possibly why they all seem similar to you. it’s just your voice.

18. Jude says:

I love all your Wee Wonderful designs and you definitely have a ‘style.’ I really love your designs – you make whimsical, beautiful dolls I want to make for my own daughters.

19. Tam says:

I recently found your site through Soule Mama’s site. I LOVE your work it is inspiring. Consistency is good. Keep making what make you happy!

20. Tam says: