new doll quilt

doll quilt

After an 8 (or so) month long break, I felt the urge to make another doll quilt for Phoebe. I was inspired once again by Jen’s photos from the International Quilt Festival in Tokyo. This one in particular was whispering doll quilt in my ear. I thought it was perfect because it’s the sort of thing that is awe-inspiringly crazy in a full size quilt but seems kind of quaint and homey in a doll size quilt. I also liked that it was another “+” thing, like the quilt that inspired the first quilt I did for Phoebe’s wall.

doll quilt

Further inspired by Jen and her post on hand-piecing on Sew, Mama, Sew I decided to ditch the sewing machine and finish piecing it together by hand. It was lovely. Just the right sort of project (tiny) for some relaxing handiwork. The quilting was fun too although I got a little too distracted by the tv (buffy) and my +’s sort of sway off grid a bit. But I love the finished product. I knew I couldn’t go wrong when I picked these fabrics and the pink, black and green color scheme. I’ve had most of these fabrics in a pile for a project for, um, over 2 years now I think. So even if I totally botched it I’d be happy with the pretty colors.

here are some details: the finished size is 14″ x 18″, the squares are 2″, cotton batting, vintage bias tape, perle cotton for the quilting, vintage and new fabrics.

39 thoughts on “new doll quilt

1. melody says:

I love the fabric/colorway of this quilt… the quilting reminds me of the way my great grandmother used to quilt her crazy quilts. PS Phoebe is so darn cute… love that hair.

2. Mean Mommy says:

Your Phoebe is darling, for sure! I have a 15 month old, and she won’t ever leave my lovingly (if clumsily) crafted clips in her hair. You’re lucky you have a willing model.
    And I LOVE the quilt. Great fabrics, beautiful colors.

3. Liz says:

How do you do the +’s?? Do you tie each on off? What does the back look like? I’m doing a baby quilt and this would take so much less time then hand quilting it as I was planning.

4. Liz says:

5. Melisa says:

Lovely quilt! Just love the colors! I would also be delighted to know how to do the +’s. They are just great and I’m working on a quilt right now where they would look so good. Do tell.

6. hillary says:

amy, yes I did the horizontals, then the verticals and I sewed through the top and the batting and then attached the back with the binding so it isn’t quilted all the way through. don’t think it would work well for a baby quilt or anything bigger than tiny.

7. Em says:

I love the little quilt, and Phoebe is so cute! I love her hair! Great job on the hand quilting – it doesn’t matter if the +’s are a little off – it’s really nice!