tops

I’ve been doing some Phoebe sewing lately. I made her a little Christmas jumper using the same pattern I drafted for this one and I finally tackled some knit fabric and made the top she’s wearing in this pic. The knit top was something that had been churning around in my head a while and I think it turned out very cute even though my machine hates/eats knits (these are on the way) and even though I had to chop off the sleeves because I didn’t leave enough room for chubby baby wrists.

girls sewing

These two are the latest additions to Phoebe’s wardrobe. I used one of P’s other jumpers as the pattern for this cord top and the gathered plaid one is from a pattern in one of my Japanese sewing books that I resized. I love them! Phoebe sewing is addictive.

33 thoughts on “tops

1. Jennifer says:

Those ball-point needles will make you sew through the knits like butter….you’ll be so happy. At least, that’s my prediction, and my new year’s wish for you.
    My poor daughter is wearing store-bought clothes. Must. sew. more.

2. Sarah says:

I love the reversible jumpers… Is that a pattern you’re planning to share some day?? It looks pretty straightforward and baby sewing is always so fun!!

3. carol says:

so cute.
    it seems around this time of year, I get all focused on sewing for my girls…you have started the sewing movement around here! as soon as I get some badly needed post-holiday cleaning done…:)

4. Bethany says:

Love the red! You are so good! Phoebe is probably like dressing a doll for you! These also remind me of French children’s clothing– I’ve been perusing a lot of French blogs lately because the children make adorable drawing subjects! You would like the clothes I’ve seen.

5. Melissa H says:

So I was sewing knits last night gearing up for a knit toddler t-shirt and my machine (with the ball points) was hating it. But my machine hates everything. Luckily I have a serger on loan that sewed knit like nobody’s business.
    But my real question is: did you use a pattern for the knit t-shirt shown with the brown dress or just wing it?

6. Daphne says:

That knit shirt you linked to is super cute. I wondered if you made it because it had that Japanese craft-book look (as in, “dang, I need that right away!” cute).

7. Cynthia says:

Must. Take. Up. Sewing. For. Baby.
    I LOVE this. Love.
    Sometimes I’m jealous of moms-of-girls. It seems so much easier to find cute girly stuff somehow.

8. hillary says:

sarah, no, it’s not my design.
    caron, I know! I never think to do that sort of thing. I was so proud of myself 😉
    amy & cynthia, yes, but boys have better toys!

9. June says:

How adorable–I love all the little clothes for Phoebe. It was such a pleasure to sew clothes for my babies, too, and I really miss those days. It’s wonderful that you are enjoying this special time and opportunity with your children.

10. Steph says:

Those are very cute. The jumpers (from past and present) are my favorite. And yes, sewing for a little girl is so much fun and extremely addictive. =)

11. Annmarie says:

I really want to try this japanese smock dress! And baby (gender tbd) kicking to get out as I write! Could you pretty-please sell your pattern as a download?

12. betsy says:

would love to try this for my girls ages 5,8,10. is there a pattern you suggest. i am afaid of zippers so this elastic necked top appeals to me.
    thanks for your help!