folkster

I just finished making the first of the dolls from my christmas break sketching session.

I stenciled the pattern on the velvet skirt. I was so excited about this part. There were supplies to get and paint colors to pick out. The design was going to be a lot more elaborate but man, cutting through acetate with an exacto knife is tricky! I need more practice.

handmade doll

The rest of her turned out very close to what I’d envisioned. I love her big loopy braids although I think she might need one more braided bun. Yes, all the star wars watching is getting to me. Soon my dolls will all have queen amidala hair. Instead of my usual wool or flannel body this gal’s is heavy canvas and I love how stiff she is. I definitely want to tweak a few things on the next one but I’m very pleased with my new girl. she’s hanging with this guy.

After all the work on her outfit I’m actually most fond of what’s underneath, her striped underthings and yarn shoes.

handmade doll

52 thoughts on “folkster

1. Jennifer says:

She’s darling! Tell us please, too, about the lamb, who is also quite delightful…. Feels good to have the january crafting energy thing going, doesn’t it?

2. Jeni says:

Cute!! I love her underthings and shoes, too. 🙂 The braids are brilliant.
    Quick question–will you be getting more of the turtle pattern? I just went to order a complete set–trying to decide what to do! 🙂

3. neressa says:

First, love your blog. You are so talented and creative. Second, HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU ATTACH HAIR TO YOUR DOLLS? sorry, not shouting, just frustrated. I love the way they look and would love to make mine that way. Is there a pattern that explains it? Thank you. So much.

4. kat says:

she is really amazing. I’m really in love with the whole look of her – the hair, the leggings – and the dress!! i don’t suppose you will be making any to sell, perhaps?. . . either way, i certainly love and am in complete awe of your wonderful wonderfuls. keep it up!!

5. Mindy says:

Too cute, and I love her little lamb.
    As far as cutting stencils, if you’re going to be cutting a lot, it’s worth get a stencil, “burner.” I have one and it’s great. They’re not too expensive at all. You plug it in and a needle fine point gets hot so it basically melts a very fine cut into the accetate. It’s so much easirt to make curves than with an exacto!

6. elise says:

golly, you’ve been bit by the “queen amadala hair” bug as well! I guess that’s what happens if you have a son— they’re paying attention to the space ships and lasers and things blowing up, and you’re paying attention to the groovy space-age costume design. (well, actually, I’m paying attention to the foxy young Obi-wan)

7. Katy says:

the sheep the sheep – tell me about the sheep! I totally love her hair and her long dress, and her underthings and her shoes – in fact, I love every inch of her!!!

8. Lisa B says:

Have you tried using freezer paper to do your stencils? Cut the paper to printer size 8ish x 11ish and print your design on the non-waxed side or trace it. Cut the stencil out. Iron it to your fabric – wax side down. Paint. Let Dry. Peel off paper. Add details.

9. Lisa says:

So precious. I am hoping to have enough time this year to make my nieces all their own dolls. I love the dress and the little details. Great job!