the hold up

The part that takes me by far the longest to complete when making a doll is the face. Not the hair or the outfit or the stuffing, but the darn face. Blondie here just had her third removed and Red’s is coming off first chance I get. These are tough. Might go with felt eyes instead of just embroidered. I think linen was a mistake for their heads, too puckery.

handmade dolls

26 thoughts on “the hold up

1. Karin says:

I know what you mean! I draw sketches on paper, but when I actually embroider the face I never seem to like it. It usually takes me a couple of tries.
    Your work is beautiful! Very inspiring! (I have been reading your blog for a couple of months, but only posted one or two times)

2. odd dotty says:

Oh, I love Red’s face. But then, I love the faces on all of your dolls. Your talent, it amazes me. Just out of curiosity how long does it take you to make a doll?

3. Megan says:

I feel your pain. I no longer make any stuffed toy that needs a face beyond button eyes. Which limits my range drastically, but preserves my sanity, or what’s left of it at least.

4. nancy says:

i do have to say that red’s face looks just a WEE bit stoned. but i know they’ll look fabulous however they turn out. 🙂

5. Bettsi says:

I hear you! Faces are so hard that I usually do them first to get them out of the way! I think Red’s face is darling, but only the dollmaker’s opinion matters. Good luck!

6. Belinda says:

I’ve been reading your blog a couple of months and have enjoyed the beautiful things you’ve made. I agree you are inspiring. So, I know you will find the right faces for Red and Blonde.

7. Bethany says:

I was so excited when I opened your blog and saw the dolls!!! And in my own selfish way, you made me feel better because I never like my first attempts at things, especially embroidery. But then, I looked at your photo and as usual, I never see anything wrong with what you do!!! So I can’t wait until they’re done!

8. Amy says:

It takes me forever to make toys because I dread putting the face on so much. It’s the make-or-break moment. You spend all that time knitting or sewing or crocheting and it could be ruined if the expression is wrong or the eyes are placed too close together, etc. And embroidery is my least developed skill, so I spend forever redoing faces. Even though I only make toys for my family, I don’t want them to look amateurish.

9. Dees says:

Hihi I know what you are going through right now!I too always make sure the face is just right and I won’t rest untill I feel it is.Good luck!
    You did crack me up though!
    xoxo

10. Lotta says:

I love the red girl’s face! And I especially love the dress and shoes. I hope you have a pattern to make these lovelies soon. Or maybe I missed it. I have to say that I’m on the Weight Watcher’s/Wee Wonderful’s diet. Since I try to do your embroidery patterns at night in front of the tv instead of stuffing my face!

11. em.s says:

wow. i think there fantastic. i am sure you are just being hard on yourself! would love to see the final faces up close once they have been given!

12. Samantha says:

I now do the face before I even cut the pattern for the head out of the muslin so that I can do the embroidery in a hoop–it probably does limit some of what I can do but I feel like it gives me more control over the faces.
    Now if I could just learn to do hair!