i like orange

from the most amazing new book I found at the last book sale, What is a Color? by Alice and Martin Provensen, c. 1967.

vintage childrens book illustration

vintage childrens book illustration

I love the text littered with little drawings. It reminds me so much of other books I had in my childhood. It’s giving me quilt ideas.

32 thoughts on “i like orange

1. Johanna says:

I love their books, too. Very inspiring (I’m also a quilter!). I got one at a garage sale several years ago by them called “A Book of Seasons”. The illustrations are charming, and I read it over and over to both of my kids, who love it.

2. Linda says:

I haven’t posted before but I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. I just had to say I love this post today. What a find. I’m not sure why I like it so much but I do. It would be fun to make my own page of orange things that I love. Thanks for the inspiration.

3. Mary Ellen says:

I work in a school and I am a discarded library book junkie. Sadly, books like this little gem are often never checked out because the elementary kids are so media soaked that they are much more interested in books featuring the characters they see on t.v. I give them a good home and treasure them for their beautiful illustrations.

4. fillyjonk says:

When I was a kid, we had their “farm” books – about the animals living at the farm they lived on/wrote about.
    I loved their books. I haven’t ever seen this one but it looks really neat.

5. Bethany says:

I can’t wait to see what those ideas are!! In college I would buy orange soda during stressful exams because I always said you can’t be unhappy when you drink orange pop! 😉

6. pamlaff says:

I had that book when I was little, too. I remember spending hours pouring over it and studying the illustrations. There was always something new to see. Now, my mother reads the same copy to my children!