lists, wonderful lists

Ok, it’s back to school around here and that means lists! I’ve started filling up a brand sparkling new notebook with lists and sketches and plans. I have high hopes. There’s some really ambitious time-sucking stuff on this list that I doubt I’m going to get to anytime soon. I guess it’s more a wish list than a to do list. It’s so hard to sit on ideas for months and months and not have the time to do anything about them. But this stage, writing them down, sketching them out, making fabric piles…this part is super fun! I’ve got ideas for new doll designs, quilts I’ve dying to make, all sorts of new products I want to add to the shop, etc.

Don’t forget us!

But before I get ahead of myself, very top of my list is Make-a-long! I haven’t forgotten you make-a-longers. I’ve had the last three chapters all planned out for months but life sort of got in the way. I was planning to finish up in May! Guess I overshot that a bit. I have two more sets of patterns in the works that I think are going to be really cute. And then there’s the big finale for Olive and Archie.

After that it’s time to start working on new fun stuff for the shop. Hopefully (if I can find all the pattern pieces) these will be the next Put-together book out in time for Christmas gift making. And I was thinking these or these for a PDF pattern maybe. I also want to work on new illustrated cards and paper dolls and maybe try my hand at a quilt pattern. Oh and some more stitchettes! And then there’s restocking. We’ve been hunting for the same labels we made the craft it up stickers from and we need to have more Kitty, Bunny, Bear books and maybe more Patchwork Set cards made up.

Since we’re talking patterns, I know some of you were asking about a pattern for the Ivy, Ingrid & Imogene dolls. Thing is they’re just make-a-long dolls with round heads. The same round head that the birdie has but all blown up. And then the yarn hair. I get a lot of requests for tutorials on yarn hair. Not to sound mental but I can’t really figure out how to explain it. On one hand it’s really simple and on the other hand extremely complicated. The simple part: cut lengths of yarn, sew them to the already stuffed head of your doll in the hair style you like and trim. The complicated part: how to make the hair styles. I  start with a middle part or around the front hairline and keep going til it looks how I want it. I can’t figure out how to illustrate or really explain this. I guess the best tip I can give is to start with long lengths of yarn and trim from there, it’s too hard to start with exact lengths and try to get them to match up.

What else? Curtains, baby outfits, new tote bag for the library, pillows for the bed, ramble ramble. Back to the notebook with me. Maybe I need some new colored pencils…

59 thoughts on “lists, wonderful lists

1. Stacey Ann says:

Well, I for one, cannot wait for the next installment of the Make-a-Long series. We are nearly through with all the available patterns. They sew up so quickly!!! Olive and Archie need to get on that playground with the big kids!

2. viviana says:

Can I just confess I’m counting the minutes for the plushies-on-wheels pattern? I have been in love with them for so long! So happy you will be able to share those beauties with us!
    Oh, and I made the hand-sewn Birdie and it looks great. But I think he is feeling alone, so next weekend I’ll try a Mrs. Birdie for him. Let’s see how it goes!

3. carol says:

got to get my pen and paper out too! my top “to do” is some Fall clothes for my kids and complete 2 more quilts.
    can’t wait to see your productivity- I know it will be inspiring.

4. erin says:

oh, the cute little animals on wheels!!! i need to make those for all the little people on my list! they will be superb gifts.
    would you think about making some boy summer stitchettes? just wondering because the first group was all girls…

5. Nicki says:

I can’t wait for the next Make-a-long installment and the toys on wheels look just the thing for Christmas – can’t wait. You really amaze me!!

6. Nancy says:

so many exciting things for us to look forward to. i’ve already started on my hand sewing for fun snail, it is very definitely fun! thanks for creating such wonderful projects for us to enjoy.

7. Sarah says:

You sound just like me. I have the same notebook for all my “home” ideas. Considering I have an apartment..some of them are long term! Right now I’m working on things to get my house ready for the ‘rents to come for Thanksgiving from CA!
    Let’s see some pictures of that sketchbook girl!

8. Wendy says:

I love the toys on wheels, and the cats! I would love to get a hold of those patterns.
    Thanks for the tips on the yarn hair. I wouldn’t have thought to do it that way. I thought you sewed the yarn in before stuffing. I still don’t get it though. Maybe just some pictures as you go of how it’s done??

9. carol f says:

How about BUttercup and friend or both maybe! How do I get a copy of the pattern for the backpacks for Olive and Archie? Help, please.

10. sally says:

Looking forward to the new items. I’m gearing up for Christmas – have to start now to get all the projects done in time. Especially with our little one coming around New Years. I look forward for updates.

11. Melissa Garrett says:

I made an Olive and Archie doll for my three kids this past Christmas, and they have completely worn them out! Guess I should make them new ones before you come out with the next chapters 😉

12. Lorena says:

Animals on wheels! Yes Please!
    Another happy pattern card recipient here – very quick postage to Australia, and I’m halfway through a butterfly after sourcing some beautiful wool felt from our local Steiner shop. Thank you!

13. Bethany says:

One of my favorite designs of yours are your kitty cats. I love their shoes, especially!!! My kids and I love your Make-a-long story so they’ll be happy to hear it’s continuing. And I guess we’re on our own to make Ingrid, Ivy and Imogene. If we used your patterns for the Make-a-longs but made round heads, would the clothes still fit (do they go over the body or the head?).

14. Carol says:

Sunshine and Buttercup?
    Don’t tease me, those have been my favorites for years! Oh my goodness, I’m getting my sewing machine out of the closet…

15. Chase says:

Those little wheel-animals are so wonderful. I guess I got too impatient because I made an elephant plushie pattern (no wheels though) that was inspired by yours! I made 2 of them already with a 3rd in the works. There’s a pic of Gertrude, my first one, on my blog under sewing. I’d love to hear what you think Hillary! I can’t wait for the patterns to come out, I have to buy them and make the bear!!! Your stuff is so cute, you’re my hero!
    ^_^ Chase.

16. Amy says:

Ditto on the Buttercup and Sunshine. Don’t TOY with me (har).
    Seriously, I have been waiting like, two years for this to happen. That would be stupendous!

17. Mary Beth says:

Ooh, such good stuff! I’m voting for the teddy bears for the PDF pattern because they look awesome for boys. I’d love to make them *something* for Christmas–even though I’m going back to work and will have less time for crafting.

18. rosalind says:

Love the look of the wheel toys. So cute. I have a lot of four year old horse mad girls I would love to sew for. Will you consider a horse pattern in the future? Thanks! Love your blog!

19. Heather says:

Your list makes my usual ‘To Do’ list look so dull by comparison. Perhaps you can make a tutorial on how to make an exciting ‘To Do’ list that makes your blog readers drool? ~H

20. Amy says:

All of your creations are charming, and Buttercup and Sunshine are particularly precious! (My two youngest kitties are Violet and Sunshine.) I’d love to order that pattern when you get to it. Good luck with your to-do/wish list!

21. Abby says:

OMGoodness! The toys on wheels! I will be anxiously awaiting that pattern book.
    and if my vote matters at all – PLEASE do the pattern for the kitties. I have been head over heels in love with them from the moment they were posted! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! (I’m not above begging!) 😀

22. Darcel says:

I have oogled Buttercup and Sunshine ever since I came across Wee Wonderfuls!!! PDF patterns would be a dream! They are adorable!

23. Lori says:

That happy little pig and that sleepy fluffy sheep will make my farmer friends squeal & bleat with delight!, b/c really they’re all softies at heart, hee hee. Between teddies or kitties, my vote is teddies. It’s not easy finding a cute non-furry teddy. ps.good luck with preschool!

24. June says:

Quite a list of inspiring ideas–I keep going through notebooks wherein I list all the things I want to make. I love the picture you posted–it makes me smile seeing your little dolls peeking through the window and wanting to remind you not to leave them out.

25. Andrea Heinz says:

In light of all of the problems with toys imported from China, we have decided to go with handmade and wooden toys this year for xmas. I am thankfull that you offer these great toy patterns. I am exited for the wheelie pattern and I hope that you end up making one for the teddy bears too! Thanks!

26. Jeanie says:

I want it ALL! All your patterns are so well written and fun to make. My son snuggles his robot every night:) I can’t wait for those super cute toys on wheels, the continuation of the make along, the bears…… I will be one of the first to click buy! Thanks-see you soon!

27. Elise says:

Yes, please, to the toys on wheels and the bears. Your patterns are so wonderful, the directions are always clear and easy-to-follow.

28. yasmin says:

I agree, I would love to see you make them all. I have been hoping you would
    do buttercup and sunshine, and the bears.I,m so excited!

29. susaninfrance says:

can i vote for buttercup and sunshine–those have been on my favorites for so long–i actually covet them!! can’t wait–actually i’d love anything, you know i’ll buy it! I’ve got the handsewing guys cut and am going to try to make them with my kiddos–I hope it is not too challenging for them!! your stitchettes are now being sent to the 4 corners of france to all my stitching in laws!

30. Amber says:

So will there be big kids for the make-a-long patterns? I hope you make it into a book. My girls would love it! How do you get the pattern for the sleeping bags which pattern is it with? I hope you have time to make all the patterns because they are all so sweet.

31. Pamela says:

Ooh, that elephant is lovely. I hope you include it in your make-a-long.
    My handsewn pattern cards arrived safely here in England, by the way. They are so gorgeous, thank you.

32. Juli says:

I’m w/ several other “post”ers here in that I’m near desperate for a pattern for Buttercup & Sunshine. I practically salivate for the want of one of those kitties for my 6 yr old. She recently lost her favorite “teddy” (who was actually a kitty made from washcloths, given to my husband 38 yrs ago) When he was lost, Teddy had been carried by Charlotte everywhere & was in shreds so she is truly in need of a lovey.
    Around the same time as the loss, I found some vintage doll dresses in the barn. They were made from fabulous fabrics by my great aunt Thelma. These dresses need Buttercup or Sunshine. Please help us!

33. Sara says:

I think, though not to put too much extra stressors on your time, I and many other people would be greatly aided if you took a few “during” pictures while you stitched on the hair, so we can see what happens close to the scalp when it doesn’t look so clean and brushed. Do you tie knots? Just stitch tight? Back stitch? Loopies? No extra explanations, I don’t think, but a few “middle” pictures might help, if you’re willing… and have time. lol.
    But as for all of your projects, to be honest, I think I’m most excited about the reprints of the Patchwork set cards. I need them to be framed in one of my rooms. Yesssss.

34. brandy says:

Yes please! It would be lovely to have patterns for the cute toys on wheels (lots of toddlers that I know would love one for Christmas) and I really want a Buttercup of my own.
    All your stuff is so sweet!

35. Amy says:

WOW! I love this post! You answered all the questions I hadn’t gotten around to asking and few I didn’t even think about. Thanks so much for sharing your thought process with us.
    Love and Laughter,