the hair

the first thing out of anyone’s mouth when they meet phoebe is ‘the hair!’ then they look at me (gray masquerading as blond), then tim (reddish brown), then oscar (blondie) and try to figure it out. our best guess is it’s my baby hair. I had dark spikey hair for about 4 months my mom says. then it was all pushed out by light brown curls. it’s so hard to imagine phoebe without this dark hair. I just love it so much. there’s an outside chance it’s my mom’s dark hair or tim’s grandpa’s dark hair but most likely she’ll be looking a lot more like part of the family by around 4 months.

38 thoughts on “the hair

1. Cheryl says:

Oh I love the sweet hair! Gorgeous baby. I love your blog and your designs, by the way. I’ve been popping in here for months and months but never comment. But I recently started my own blog and LOVE it when people comment! So I thought I’d tell you I’m here quite often and am so enjoying you, your blog and you sweet creations. Hugs to you, sleepy mama….

2. katie says:

i know what you mean about the hair! I’m a blonde, my hubby is dark brown (whats left of it) and i have a red head son and a browny blonde haired daughter – we get some very odd looks when we go out!

3. manda says:

Bella’s hair was exactly like that. We were so shocked when she was born and then my mom dug out a baby photo of me and I had the same hair too.
    I really wanted Bella to keep her hair but it all fell out when she was a few months old (it was a very bad hair month that month!) and has grown back in very light brown and very curly.
    Phoebe is so beautiful! Love seeing photo’s of her!

4. Lor says:

Phoebe is just gorgeous – makes me very broody again! Both my children had mad dark hair when they were born and are both fair now – I quite enjoyed making mini Elvis quiffs with their hair!

5. Liesl says:

I was the same way, Hillary, and I fully expected Tsia to have a full dark head of hair. And instead? Nothing. Ms. Baldy for nearly a year!
    You’ve got yourself one beautiful baby there!

6. Leah says:

What a beautiful girl – and beautiful hair, too :). My son started out with hair similar to hers, but it surprised us and turned blonde.

7. lisa says:

Nobody else in my family has it, but my daughter was born with a headful of lovely auburn hair, and she still has it four years later. The only difference is that it started out straight and it’s all boing-boing ringlets now. So you never know – the dark hair might stick!

8. Kim says:

My first two had full heads of jet black hair. We called them our little gorillas (in the most affectionate way possible). Didn’t fall out but grew in a much lighter brown with black tips. Very punk for such young ones 🙂
    My most recent is still a baldy at 18 months. I hope this doesn’t portend a receding hairline later in life (Dad has a full head of thick strawberry blond hair).

9. Jude says:

Lily had hair like that too. People would peer into her pram and say ‘Oh what a lovely…head of hair!’ One women chased me around Kmart telling me not to be upset by people commenting on Lily’s hair – her baby had lots of hair and it used to upset her when people would go on about it. She stalked me around the store so long I started to feel a tad worried. The thing was – I loved Lily’s hair! It was so cute and I was glad she wasn’t one of these bald babies with a vieny head! We bought little tiny hair clips (barettes?) and put them in her fringe from about 4 months old.

10. Jennifer says:

All 3 of my girls had hair like that and I loved it! Only one of them stayed dark headed. And now we have a little blonde boy! Hair is a crazy thing, isn’t it?

11. Karissa says:

My husband and I both have dark brown hair so when I was delivering my baby and they told me they could see a dark haired baby on the way I held onto the image of a dark haired girl for the rest of the labor. And what did I get, a “conan” haired little red head. Now she has lovely blonde hair at 14mths. I do miss that distinctive red hair though. Your baby is adorable and I am filled with wonderful newborn memories when I see the new pictures of her. Congrats.

12. Erin says:

We had the very curious hair mystery in our family too. I’m a dark blonde, my husband is almost black, my son is bright red (very curious) and my two girls are burnettes. People always ask “where did he get that red hair??” You just never know what your going to get with that gene cocktail. 🙂
    Pheobe is a sweetie pie! Love your blog!

13. Erin says:

Phoebe is a sweetie pie! Love your blog!

14. Susan says:

Baby is hair is the best! No, wait – baby hands are the best – no wait – baby feet are definately the best – no, the smell – no the tiny mouth…
    Ahhh – with a little as lovely as that who can say!
    love love love the hair! So soft!

15. Beth says:

I just love her hair.. and you never know. Emma had the same hair.. I am a blonde, her father is a blonde (what he has of it left) and Emma came out with hair 2 inches long and coal black. I kept waiting for it to fall out.. nope, never did. Just got lighter. Now her hair is this chesnut brown with blonde and red natural highlights (with blonde baby hair). SO.. you never know. I hope she gets to keep it. I just love it when they come out with this Sid Vicious hair that is way more cute on babies than it ever was on him : )

16. susaninfrance says:

i had the same hair for a few months…my older cousin called me a porcupine and i was forever teased by her whenever those early baby pics came out…thank goodness it was replaced later (much later–2 years later) by wispy (wimpy) blonde curls!

17. Kylie says:

Yes – the hair the hair. Amelia had a full head of jet black hair as well and people used to look at us with odd looks! But alas she now has almost BLONDE hair. She did not loose any – it just got gradually lighter and lighter!

18. cindy says:

That precious little angel! Yea, my oldest had that hair. It was like Heaven to touch it, smell it, feel it! Then, one horrible morning it started falling out. I was so sad, then her real hair came in. Beautiful, thick ringlets. It was all better! 🙂 But I know you’re enjoying that fuzzy softness. 🙂

19. nora says:

Wow a lot of hair comments. All well and good but I just wanted to say I really like the little dress you whipped up for your wee one! She is lucky to have such a lovely and talented mom! Take care and get lots of rest.

20. Debby says:

Our first child went through 3 hair color changes, dark curly, bright red, followed by dark auburn. Next kid dark blonde, last kid med. brown. Dad dark brown and I blonde. Very confusing to all, even eye colors are all different. So kids are just plain interesting…

21. Michele says:

My daughter had the same amount of hair when she was born as yours..and everyone said..the same thing..wow..look at that hair..she is almost 2 now and its super long!! i love it!! but most people think she is so much older because of it!!