what’s better than a flat box

my most favorite thing to do these days is to tear the bottom tape off a box and break that brother down! then I stack em and take them to the garage in big satisfying piles. and maybe I talk a little smack at them too. it’s me against them these days and they will not win.

here are a few unearthed items from the last few days…

birdie from alicia that looks like she was made just for the nursery

treasured japanese fabric that matches my new sofa perfectly. soon to be a pillow I think.

a mountain of 0-3’s

and while I’m working on the new nursery one last look at the old one. baby boxcar’s broken down crib and left behind mural 🙁

30 thoughts on “what’s better than a flat box

1. Colleen says:

Looks like you have alot of unpacking to do, its kinda sad about oscars room, leaving it behind and all.

2. Emily says:

Ughhh…every time I see Boxcar’s (now former) mural, it just kills me!
    Tell me that the folks that are buying the house appreciate its greatness?
    xoxo
    PS: What size tee does Boxcar wear these days?

3. Meg says:

Those birds remind me of my father. There are too few of his little drawings and paintings. Oh I wish that I actually knew you and you were painting something like that for my babies.

4. annie says:

I’ve been talking smack at flattened boxes for almost a year now (ugh)- in fact, I just told one off the other day! Feels good, eh? Congrats on the new digs, I’m sure there will be new amazing murals to look forward to!

5. amy says:

what a beautiful mural! i’ve been meaning to paint something similar in my room for the longest time. lovely lovely 🙂

6. Lotta says:

Are the former owners names really Dick and Dot? Is your sofa vintage? I have a whole bunch of flat boxes in my dining room from Ikea that you can come over and “enjoy” with me. Just say the word!

7. Georgia says:

I can’t wait to see Junebaby’s room when it’s all finished.
    I don’t think I’ve seen a photo of that mural before – beautiful.

8. Mimi says:

Oh my goodness. That wall…well, that mural is what I want(ed) to do in my craft room. I have bare walls in a big room. Ideas – they abound!

9. Allison says:

I am dying over your nursery lampshade, so sweet! I have a scalloped-edge thing going in my children’s nursery…please oh please tell me where you found that! Just love it.
    So sad about the mural, it’s just perfect.

10. Allison says:

I just am in love with your nursery lampshade….please, oh please can you share where you got that? It’s so sweet.
    Sorry about that mural, it’s quite amazing. I am sure you are in the works of new and just as wonderful creations in the new home.

11. Barbara C. says:

The lamp, the lamp! They look so much like lamps I got from my mil. I don’t know when she bought them but thought maybe the 30’s or 40’s?
    I’ve given them to one of my daughters!
    Barbara C.

12. hillary says:

barbara – the lamp belonged to my grandparents so 40s sounds about right.
    alison – the lampshade was a gift when oscar was born. I’m not sure where it’s from.
    lotta – yep! and nope, sofa’s from room and board.
    isabelle – thanks, I think I did get it at superbuzzy
    nancy – yeah, my husband painted it.
    we’re sad to leave it behind but have one gazillion photos of it to remember it by.

13. Meredith Schweig says:

Longtime reader, first time commenter! I just have to tell you how much you inspire me. Someday, when you’re taking a little rest from making incredible things and raising lovely children, I hope you consider writing some kind of lifestyley book so that we can mew over more photos of your amazing work. Best of luck with Junebaby!