dick and dot

who’s the couple most discussed around here lately? not george and laura.
not brad and angelina. but dick and dot, the couple who lived in our
house for 50 years before they sold it to us. dick was a very handy guy
and this house is full of customized solutions; lots of inventive
wiring, hidden fuses, a complicated sump pump set up that according to
the neighbor gives us the ‘best basement on the block’ and lots and
lots of custom built shelves. I had to take a mallet to one of dick’s
most elaborate shelving creations this weekend. their master bedroom is
now my craft room and so the whole multi-shelved closet organization
system he’d set up for them had to go to make room for my shallow
fabric shelves and craft supply drawers. it was not easy! dick was very
fond of anchors. one tie rack in particular seemed like it was going to
take the whole house down with it. but they’re out, I’m in, and today the craft room unpacking begins!

first new addition to the craft room:
mushroom and ladybug thumbtacks that oscar spotted for me at a garage sale this weekend

29 thoughts on “dick and dot

1. Aimee says:

such cute tacks! great find.
    we had some inventive wiring going on in our house too. we are working on the budget to get it fixed since it’s not something we can do ourselves. congrats on the new place, i am sure that you will have lots of adventures while making it your own.

2. carol says:

love it! i’m sure dick and dot were a very resourceful couple and now you guys hopefully can reap the benefits.
    master bedroom as the craft room?! lucky girl!

3. Kerry Vitali says:

We have Jean and George, the prior owners of our house. They built an elaborate garden (we’re talkin flagstone everywhere, pond, figure 8 stone path). And most notable, the bamboo kitchen – wow, those two really knew how to decorate! It’s nice to have that connection with the former owners – it really gives you a sense of the continuity of it all… Congratulations on your home!

4. Lynn in Tucson says:

We bought our first house from a retired engineer…. Too much time on his hands, apparently; we had five doorbells for three doors and the wiring to prove it!

5. Laura says:

When we moved into the ‘Hodel House’ we bought it from the original owners who had been there for 60+ years. Lots of the same – Mr. Hodel was quite the handy man. I took great pleasure in taking out a wall he put in the laundry room one weekend. It’s a quaint and awesome thing to be just the 2nd owner of a home…. or to take over after someone who has been there for so very long. One of the greatest little treasures that the Hodels left behind (they had a lot of stuff to get out of there!) was a child’s wooden block with the letter H on it. I still love it even though I’ve been gone from there 10 years now.
    The tacks are TOO CUTE. How great that he’s watching for good finds! 🙂

6. muffintops says:

i had those same tacks growing up! (although, actually, they may have been left-overs from my mom’s childhood.) i’d forgotten all about them – so cute!
    good luck with the unpacking. it’s so stressful to have everything in boxes – but also kind of fun to rediscover it and to find the new perfect place for it.

7. Kari says:

It’s got to be a good feeling to start spreading into your “new” space! I remember moving (across 3 states,) was so stressful, so to be at the point where it’s almost over, that gave me a lot of relief.
    LOVE those tacks! (May I ask which neighborhoods you hunt garage sales in? I’m way out in Aurora, but I’d almost drive into the city for those cuties!) AWESOME find! Go Oscar!!!

8. Tami says:

I know what you mean about talking about former house owners a lot. When my husband and I bought our home two years ago, we found ourselves talking about the previous owners quite a bit. Especially when we found a box of old pictures that told the story of her first husband and then her second one. Sadly she died just two weeks after we bought the house. The neighbors across the street knew her stepchild and were able to pass along the box of memorabilia. We felt so sad about that. But now the house is really feeling like it’s “our” home now … no longer belonging to Mr. & Mrs. Gray. Good luck with the unpacking!

9. nicki says:

Oh my! Lucky, lucky you – all that space, I can only dream. I’m just about to give up my craft room for the wee one. I’ve been ousted to the laundry!

10. marie says:

Gotta love hidden fuses and creative solutions!!! LOL…love the craft room..it looks like you have tons of light! Am extremely jealous..my room is in a corner of the basement..the space no one else wanted!!

11. Happy Zombie says:

We had inventive prior homeowners too. Though if we ever sell our house, the new owners are sure to blurt out, “she did WHAT?” a couple of times.
    Congrats on your new spaces and new fixes!

12. Sharon says:

Our last house was owned by a handyman too. We had some interesting built-ins made from 2x4s. Unattractive and yet solid enough that they could not be pulled out without significant damage.
    Dick and Dot sound like a new pair of make-a-longs? Grandparents to Olive and Archie? Their names just too inspiring!
    By the way, I love the mushroom tacks! I was eyeing the mushroom and gnome statues they had at KMart the other day! I also saw some mushroom fabric at a quilt store–must be something in the air!

13. Amy says:

Those are the best thumbtacks. Ever.
    I wish you lots of luck in your unpacking/decorating/remodeling. I hope you’ll share with us when it’s all “done”! (It’s never REALLY done, of course…)

14. Wendy Lee says:

I have been in my house for six months and I am still a nomad with my art. I have tried setting up my own craft room but everything gets dragged around the house so I can be in the same room watching my toddler play. I commend you for your organization.

15. Becka says:

Well at least Dick and Dot seemed to love their home and take really good care of it. Maybe too good. May the crafty gods bless your new craft room! Have fun. Love your site and your work. Always the best. ^_^