dense

The thing one quickly realizes when trying to cover a wall with doll quilts, even a small wall, is that you need a certain density or it doesn’t work. To that end this week produced a few more additions for the wall. They’re all pretty much quicky specials — three of them I made yesterday.

Pinky here is made from thrift store linens. I ran out of batting so it has just flannel inside and I did a pillowcase binding and a stippling quilt pattern. close up here.

Here’s a little fussy cut number from some folky vintage fabric and orange gingham. I made this one earlier this week and hand quilted it and hand sewed the binding. I like hand quilting when there’s a little gingham grid to follow. Makes me less obsessed with getting my stitches even. close up here.

I found this cross stitch at a thrift store ages ago. I thought this would whip up into a quicky little quilt but it went through 3 different bindings until I found this one, a tiny vintage polka dot binding tape, that actually worked. close up here.

Another fussy one, this one is made from my stash of japanese storybook prints and the yellow dot flannel was Oscar’s crib skirt. close up here.

This one I made from a thrifted kids quilt I’ve been holding on to forever. It had lots of stains and tears but some great big appliques that were waiting to be saved. This little house just needing some binding and it was all set!

I hate to jinx myself but I think the wall may be full. I have one I’m on the fence about. I’ve nailed all but that one to the wall. I need to sleep on it. Now I’m waiting for hand-me-down bedding to arrive in the mail and to get the curtains up and then I’ll have some nursery pics to share 🙂

40 thoughts on “dense

1. Nancy says:

Wow, they are all amazing. All of them are so unique. I really love the folk one and the house from the old quilt. I think the house is so interesting with it’s history & the traditions of sewing and quilting and now that you are in your new home it ties in so nicely.

2. Blair says:

I am not believing what you and your belly got done this week compared to what I got done. : ) They are beautiful Hillary. Can’t wait to see them all hanging up.

3. Jessica Chapman says:

Hi… I love your little quilts. I do have a question about what you’re doing with them… covering an entire wall in a nursery? That sounds amazing… but I’d like to know more about this project! Thanks!

4. Gisela says:

oh, I love the pinky one (the first). I hanged two old patchwork rugs in one of my walls. These were made by my great grandmother. I love how they look and I’m thinking of making some little quilts to put in he wall too.

5. martha in mobile says:

You are so very Creative! I must, however, take exception to the first quilt’s upper right fabric being labeled “vintage.” That was my sheet pattern when I was a little girl and that was only…no, wait…”vintage” IS the right word. Nevermind.

6. amy k. says:

wow-oh wow!!
    I am sort of crazed here, it’s hard to comment on them all (I will go to flickr) but they are such gems! I love the mix-you are sure nesting. . can’t wait to see it all. . .

7. Mary Ann/ca says:

I love the house, a special place for June baby! But my favorite is the cross stitich…hmm, might have to try that! Looking forward to seeing the completed nursery too.

8. Mendy says:

Wow! Just wow! It’s inspiring to see how many ways that you have used thrifted finds to make these beautiful little quilts. I’m certainly going to be looking through a different set of eyes the next time I hit the antiques stores.

9. Siri says:

Looking forward to seeing all of these together. I keep thinking I know which one of these is my favorite and then keep changing my mind since they’re all wee and wonderful.

10. Amanda says:

I’ve been following the story since you first posted about the idea of a wall of doll quilts. It’s been interesting to see how such a trend has been created too. I feel safe to say we’re all waiting with baited breath to see the final product!

11. Drea says:

I cannot believe how quickly you put these quilts together. Each one will bring something bold and unique to the wall. They all look wonderful. I am especially fond of the one made with the folk fabric and orange gingham.

12. Catherine says:

My favorite is the quilt with the house. It looks really nice. Your creations are inspiring; really beautiful. Have a great day!:0)

13. Lotta says:

I adore the house quilt and think that your little pink pillowcase bound quilt is adorable! I say don’t put that quilt your debating about up. You’ll think about it everytime you look at it. Hanga thank you gift for the hand me down bedding!

14. Beth says:

Your quilts are all inspiring! It looks easy by just looking at all the pictures. But I know you have to be really good with color and fabric combos to get it right!

15. jude says:

Hi! OOooooooo! I can’t wait to see what all this cuteness will add up to. I’m eager to see your nursery pics. Finished my second lot of Olive and Archie’s this weekend!

16. Julia says:

Yay, I’m so excited to see how your nursery turns out. =D I’m impressed with how many quickie quilts you’ve made, and they’re all so adorable and vintage-y! Aww.