a quick pop in on the craft room

Back in the old apartment before we moved I would sit around at night daydreaming about decorating and styling glamorous photo shoots of every "corner of my home" with big dramatic results. The reality, as I keep saying (rather defensively) is it’s just an everything-in-a-place-any-place free for all over here. I feel like an ass for not wanting to share my amazing new craft room because it isn’t just so or not wanting to show all the pics of Oscar’s room because it’s "in progress". Especially since this is probably the nicest it will ever look! All clean and spare, before the "craft misc" boxes are unpacked and before I really start working in there. So I tidied up the craft room this morning and decided it was time to peek in. Then of course I realize it’s a bear to photograph because it has really bright sun in the early morning and then is pretty dark (for photo taking but fine for working) the rest of the day. So I tried every setting on my camera and this is what I came up with.

We really lucked out with this house because we got one of the standard 3 bedroom ranches that litter this neighborhood that actually had an addition added back around when the house was built in 1957. So we have less backyard but two good sized rooms off the back of the house. Dick and Dot had three kids so they used one of these rooms as the master bedroom. We decided to make their master my craft room/the guest room. The other room we set up as a playroom and it’s pretty funny in all its wood paneled loveliness, but that’s a photo shoot for another day.

So one wall of the room is all closet and that’s where I’ve stored all the fabric. Another wall faces the yard (with a snazzy space heater in the middle) and that’s where I’ve put my sewing table and work table. Another wall I left open and am using it as my feltwall to hang quilt projects. And the last wall holds shelves, the daybed and some awesome built in shelves (another Dick masterpiece).

the sewing table and some new shelves.

the work table

the day bed

and the built ins. it’s like dick knew I was coming! this is one area I really need to work on. I just threw things up there as I was unpacking. I’d really like to set up lots of little just so vignettes but for now it’s like a softies high rise. close up here.

And that’s my big shiny white craft room with at least twice as much space as I had in the apartment, big fluffy new shag carpet and it’s own bed! I’m a happy girl.

63 thoughts on “a quick pop in on the craft room

1. Stephanie says:

That is so awesome. I’m totally jealous. I don’t have my own craft room..and with 4 kids running amok I doubt I ever will. We live in a little ranch style house as well but lucked out with 4 bedrooms. Then we added a kid. Oh well. Silly us! It looks great though!

2. Anina says:

It’s just great! It looks like you have quite a bit of space there. My craft room would never fit a daybed, so I don’t have a guest room. Crafting is more important than guests.
    I love you window treatment.

3. melissaS says:

Thank you thank you thank you. Your rooms and style are really inspiring. I’m glad you shared it.
    I want that bed for my little girls room.

4. June says:

Congratulations on your wonderful new house and yummy crafting space–I know magical wonders shall appear from this special place.

5. Emily says:

Everythings looks amazing, you!
    I know exactly what you mean about the “just so” thing, so don’t feel bad. I’m sure everyone feels that way when wanting to show off a new place.
    The softie high-rise just made my afternoon. Seriously. πŸ˜‰
    xoxo

6. liz says:

what a wonderful space!
    you are lucky to have such a nice bright spacious room to play in. i love it!
    those softies look right at home in their new high rise, and i just love that painting above the bed.
    keep up the good work – can’t wait to see that junebaby!

7. Anja says:

Oh! That’s the Hemnes bed, right? We just moved and were wondering about that one, for our guest room/craft room as well (funny!) – are you liking it? It looks great in the photo, as well as all the other things. That softie high rise must be heaven for visiting children (and grown ups…).

8. Jen says:

The softie highrise is great. I love being able to see the scale of all of them. They look bigger than I thought they were.

9. manda says:

I totally relate to this post! I haven’t taken photo’s of my new studio yet because it isn’t perfectly finished yet. Even though it’s pretty much finished and I love it – I keep telling myself that I’ll do the big reveal once I’ve finished all the little bits. Of course by that time it will all be a mess again and I won’t want to show it at all. I probably need to stop being such a dope!
    Your room looks wonderful! And the softies look great. I saw one up close while I was in NYC this week and it was perfect!

10. Amy says:

So bright, airy and cheerful. And I was so excited to see what type of sewing machine you use… but I can’t quite make it out. Dang! It looks cool, though πŸ™‚
    What a lovely place to spend time in!

11. sally says:

I just love the wall of softies. They look really cute. That day bed also looks so comfortable. If I were you I’d end up napping and thinking about all the neat crafts I could make – if only I were awake.

12. hannah says:

i think all craft rooms should come with a bed. brilliant addition hillary. now, when is this other addition getting here? early june or late june? i am a 29’er, and i am here to say it is a darn good day.

13. Sara says:

You’re so lucky to have a craft room! I’m currently buying a new house and hope that I’ll be able to use one of the rooms as a studio. Reading your posts has really inspired me to try new things with my sewing – DIOLCH YN FAWR!

14. Caya says:

LOVELY craft room. So clever!!! You have inspired me. My craft room is the former dining room. It doesn’t have anything built in, but I do have lots of shelves. However, your white walls have inspired me. My craft room walls are this sage green- it was trendy when the last owners had it, about 4 years ago. I wasn’t thrilled but I could deal with the it when we first moved in but between that room and the kitchen and the BEDROOM being that color, I’m so sick of sage green- WHITE sounds utterly lovely.

15. Angel says:

Pretty room! I can see why you’re a happy girl πŸ™‚
    I can’t wait for my room to get done, it will be a long process by hopefully by the end of summer I’ll be a happy girl too!

16. Wendy says:

SOOO jealous of the craft room! I’m a dining room table user. I love how bright and airy the room is and that picture over the day bed is perfect.
    I agree that the “softie high rise” would make an adorable postcard,too.

17. di says:

Lucky you! Looks wonderful already, and I’m sure you’ll have fun over time, playing with where things live, and making it just so. I have to say I always get a buzz when I see the bag I made for you pop up in your photos! Thanks!!
    Hope the pregnancy is going well.

18. Melissa H says:

Hey, I have that daybed in my craft room…Ikea, right? It makes a great place to store piles of fabric and the mini ironing board πŸ™‚ Last time my sister spent the night she had to sleep on the couch! You’re motivating me to clean up my once beautiful crafting space. Thanks for sharing.

19. Mary T. says:

Looks fabulous! How do you find that chair? We have the same one and I couldn’t use it to work all day; the rise of the seat were making my legs fall asleep! Great extra chair, though.

20. cece marie says:

Salutations and Congradulations!
    Congrats on your new home! Just lovely! I am so smitten by the painting above your day bed…makes me think of road trips in college driving along in my old convertible bug. Who is it by? I’d love to find me one like that! Merci! Cece

21. hillary says:

The painting above the daybed is by Tim, our artist in residence. Guess I forgot to mention that. doh! I mentioned it on flickr and thought I’d done it here too.
    The daybed is Ikea, the Hemnes I think. And it’s nice but a real bitch to put together. It’s huge and heavy and a gazillion pieces. But so worth it to have a spot to get my nap on πŸ™‚
    Caya – I hear you on the sage. One of the most overdone colors of its time. The white is nice. I really wanted a super plain backdrop. I tried hard not to overclutter. I’m not sure I succeeded. I love that I can close the doors on the supply shelves. That makes it so much less visually over stimulating!

22. Alicia P. says:

I just showed this to Andy and said (pouting), “I want that!” and then showed him the photos of the rest of the house and said (double pouting), “I want that! All pretty and clean!” and he said, “Wellllll, give her a few months. . . .”
    But you won’t mess it up, will you Hillary? No you won’t.
    Writing you later, off to the P.O., where, yes, it is possible to park in front. So I got that going for me. But I still want your shelves.
    Not that it’s about me, or anything. Etc.

23. Sasha says:

I totally get it! I haven’t blogged my craft room yet, either… just tiny corners of it but the “overall” room is incomplete (or so I think) so I find myself holding back! Isn’t it fun, though, to dream about the craft room in progress? It looks like you’re off to a great start.

24. catarina m. says:

It must be a joy to work in such a bright and well organized space! (I keep questioning me – how does this waiting mother of a june baby keeps so much energy to make all this projects happen?)