still have my hand but not my wits

Well all went smoothly and we have ourselves a house! And I still have use of my right hand. I was all ready but really there was an unimpressive amount of papers to sign. Our lawyer said due to new ‘regs’ there are a lot less papers these days. Fine by me. So we forked over all our money, promised to give them any money we will ever have and now have ourselves a house to raise all these babies in!

Of course we also bought ourselves rooms full of wallpaper to be removed, dirty carpet to be replaced, a bumpy patchy lawn, some oddly painted doors, a kountry kitchen, etc. I feel my mind splintering. It’s going to be a crazy few months.

I thought I’d get some wee wonderfuls homework out of the way so I can go back to staring drooling at the chaos with a toddler smacking me on the leg for attention.

A pod flower pincushion tutorial….

First, go over here to this awesome tutorial by futuregirl.com to learn how to sew felt things together.

Then get yourself some wool felt (see faq’s for suppliers) and cut out two bigger circles (4ish") of the same size, a smaller circle (2.5ish") and two leaf shapes of the same size.

Sew your leaves together around edges.

Sew your smaller circle to top of a bigger circle.

Sew your bigger circles together leaving gap for stuffing.

Cram it full of stuffing and then cram in some more until very firmly stuffed. Sew opening shut.

Sew leaf on bottom and sew button on top.

Voila! Someday I’ll add some pics and gloss it up a bit, but really future girl covers all the hard stuff beautifully and it’s a very simple little thing to make. Have fun!

32 thoughts on “still have my hand but not my wits

1. Tammy says:

Thanks for the pattern! And good luck with your new house – besides feeling overwhelming, it must also feel really wonderful.

2. madmommy says:

We just learned we have to relocate in the next couple of months (not too far at least). So I feel your pain in the buying and selling. And just imagine, when we bought the house we’re currently in, I had to sign all the papers twice, because I was doing the buying using power of attorney while my hubby was overseas, and the mortgage company wanted it done differently after I’d already signed all 80 pieces of paper!
    I can also relate to the toddler patting! lol

3. Stickchick says:

Good luck with your new house!! If you’ve had wet weather like us, that bumpy lawn will quickly go away with some quick seeding!! One “easy” chore to knock out. (I say this cause I have bumpy lawn issues too, yuck, and will be seeding like crazy tomorrow!!) My poor neighbors on each side of us work for landscaping companies and have me- bad lwn family- smack in the middle!! EWWWW!!
    Thank you for the tutorial!! That was dang speedy seeing all the busy things you have going on now!!
    I love the line “cram it full of stuffing…”. Bet I’ll never see that in a pattern book! (darn it all, that would be awesome).

4. Anina says:

Congratulations on the house. It sounds like a lot of wonderful inspired things will come out of all the renovations you have to look forward to.
    Thanks for the tutorial. That was VERY quick!

5. Maureen says:

Thanks for the pin cushion directions. I’m going to make some for a swap.
    Congrats on your new home. It is such a great feeling to have your own place. Someone told me that you don’t buy a house–you buy a project! But a wonderful, happy project! Best wishes,
    Maureen

6. chelle says:

Congratulations! Remember, there will ALWAYS be things to do to your home – no matter how new it is or how long you live there. Feel free to live with some of the old wallpaper. Let some things go. I remember when I bought my first home, and spent a summer stressed out over the yard work. My mother told me: don’t be a slave to your house – it’s supposed to be a joy, not a burden – and stop stressing. I’ve followed that advice a little too well… Anyway – have fun, it’s your very own (and the bank’s, of course).

7. Laural says:

Congrats on the house! We just moved into our new house yesterday. It’s exciting that its ours, but man, stressful too. There’s already a leak in the basement so we have to learn all about drainage and foundations and plumbing. And all I want to do is unpack my boxes of fabric 😉

8. Kathryn says:

I LOVE YOUR SITE!
    I just wanted to point out that it might be better/easier to sew the button on to the top of the flower before sewing the pieces together, no?

9. Purgui says:

Congratulations!!!! It’s always very difficult to find “the” house. And good luck with the renovation, I’m already looking forward to the changes. Cause, maybe you’ll send some before and afte pics, no?

10. erin michelle says:

woo yay house (and pincushions). it’s pretty amazing moving from apartment to a real house and for all the headaches in the world, totally worth it. good luck best wishes etc etc!

11. Elisabeth says:

Congratulations on your big purchase! Of course you know we’ll all be expecting plenty of before and after pictures as you refurbish the new place. I can’t wait to see your car/truck quilt too, it looks so cute so far.

12. Corey says:

I can relate to your life quite well right now! We just moved into a “new” house as well- with yucky carpet, wallpaper, and the works. And I did it while 7 months pregnant and taking care of a 15 month old! So I feel your pain! Don’t stress- it will all get done sooner or later- my baby’s now 2 months old, and life is starting to feel back to normal again… Good luck with it all!

13. cindy says:

I love those. They would look good scattered all over the house spreading their cuteness! 🙂 Oh, and congrats on the house. Have fun making it a HOME! 🙂