waiting for spring

Despite the wintery mix yesterday we ventured out for yarn hair so I could work on styling during the Oscars last night. I don’t know how far I’ll get with this plan but I’m so happy to have one doll done for the new patchwork set. She’s bundled up, waiting patiently for a spring photo shoot.

Thanks again for all the great stitchette suggestions. I’ve been reading through them and sketching and trying to narrow all the goodness down to just 4 designs. A lot of really fun suggestions unfortunately don’t lend themselves to the nature of a stitchette. Mud soaked clothes for example – how cute – but really hard to depict with outline only. And lots of the big action ones, kites flying, the maypole I wanted, biking, tree climbing, etc are too sprawling for the limited space of a stitchette. And then there are the tiny things, bugs, specific flowers, butterflies, even glasses (although I’m going to keep trying) that are just too detailed to render with a half strand of floss. Of course there are plenty of wonderful springy details that will be work out perfectly and I’m excited to work on flowers, birds and raindrops. Especially since I just turned around to look out the window and it is snowing… again!

Oh, and since I’m on the stichy subject, the Summer Stitchettes have been restocked and are ready to go.

33 thoughts on “waiting for spring

1. kristina says:

Ooh I am so in love with her, too…the sweet hair and those gorgeous blue eyes. And belated congratulations on your two big events! Woo hoo!

2. DML says:

I skim read all the ideas – a lot of people liked Katie’s Kite – maybe she doesn’t need to be flying it? Just walking along carrying it under her arm, ready to go? Of course, I’m biased as I have a little red-headed Katie…
    Only just found your site, but was trying to think of ideas. I’m from the UK, so I do think of spring showers – maybe John Jumping in puddles (with wellingtons on and an umbrella?)
    Ok, grouchy husband is around, so inspiration is lacking while he’s nagging… Take care and good luck.

3. mary says:

Not sure if you saw Sundays Chicago Tribune but there is an article on doll quilts and the Winnetka Antiques Show that is featuring antique quilts and doll quilts.
    The new doll is adorable, maybe she will bring on the spring.

4. Karin says:

Hi,
    just wanted to let you know that I got the three existing sets of stitchettes and was really pleased with how fast they got here (Germany). Now I just need some time to stitch them… Actually I might wait for the spring ones and then do them all and make a quilt from the kids.
    Karin

5. Annie says:

Her hair is so Sienna Miller at the Golden Globes. The critics lambasted her for it, but looking at the comments, she may have been onto something.

6. Amber says:

Man, you and Angry Chicken Amy should work together to make a maypole design. Really. Cross-stitch and embroidery blow-out. Could be so so so fab.
    Also, for a Z name, someone has surely suggested Zeke, and there’s the increasingly popular Zach/Zak/Zack, but don’t forget Zelda.
    Wow, house news is so exciting! Best of luck with moving (the trauma of the massive amount of work plus having to touch and make a decision about every single item you own… best be with you).

7. jodi says:

What a cutie! Love the blond braids.
    Good luck with the Stitchettes. I think going fishing would be darling — maybe just holding the rod and a bucket of bait. Or perhaps doing cartwheels!

8. Amy says:

OMG!!!
    How did you do that hair?
    Is there a tutprial somewhere that you learned from? a book maybe?
    heck I don’t even know what I would google to look….
    You are a great inspiration for beauty in everyday things.
    Thank you!
    Love and Laughter,
    Amy

9. Michelle says:

Oh I love her little face! I posted her on my blog and linked back to you, I hope you don’t mind. I love your little wonderfuls, thanks for the inspiration.