making right along

Is it embarasssing to admit that while working on projects for make-a-long I make up words to the Moving Right Along song from the muppets? I’m getting pretty good at making up songs on the fly because Oscar is always making requests, "sing a song about my dump truck", etc.

I’m working on the designs for the next set of make-a-long patterns. Here’s a sneak peek at the sidekick. Now I need to work on the kids’ sized version. This guy is 7" tall.

What I really should be doing is cleaning the house. My in-laws arrive tomorrow and what am I doing? Stepping over laundry, ignoring the kitchen floor, putting blinders on through the chaos so I can get some crafting done while Oscar’s preschooling. I have just a few things I want to finish before the weekend. Like my primitive Halloween decorations and maybe a new pincushion design? I was asked to contribute to a pincushion book but I can’t decide whether or not or which or when. I’ve got a soft spot for these first pincushions I made but too simple?

Shop news tomorrow, including specifics on the stitchettes!

chugga chug chugga chug

50 thoughts on “making right along

1. Melissa says:

I LOVE the pin cushions – too cute! I’ve been wanting to make one lately in the shape of a miniature dress form. Heaven knows I need somewhere to put my pins other than the floor!

2. rachel says:

You should definately use these pincushions. They are actually what first drew me to your website months ago! I agree with mijk…it’s all in the simple beauty of them.

3. vegasandvenice says:

Seven Feet tall??? Wow that is big! Oh, inches.. oh silly me! Love the kitty and the cushions!
    I think your song making up is perfect! I am an avid lyrical improviser also and it is always nice to find a kindred spirit!
    Hugs Hugs Hugs!

4. TracyAnn says:

I may just try the make-a-long for that kitty–too cute! I am pretty new at creating by sewing, but I’m getting hooked! I’d love to make something so cute as this!
    I really like the pincushions–very charming in their simplicity!

5. emily says:

oh, that cat kills me!
    and those pincushions are perfect in their mod simplicity.
    I’m expecting “Ask Hillary” to return. And soon. I’m concocting elaborate Jerry-Springer-esque scenarios to inquire about as we speak…

6. kristina says:

Ooh! I love the kitty and the pincushions. Will be on the lookout for the update tomorrow. And I loved the ‘Ask Hillary’ feature 🙂

7. June says:

Sometimes the projects we feel are the most simplest and not worthy of inclusion are actually the best thing to do. I love finding new projects but sometimes I just want to make something that is cute or pretty or just plain fun and not have it so over-worked in design that I’m intimidated by it. I think your “simple” pincusions are fabulous and would be a wonderful inclusion in the book.

8. myra says:

Oh my gosh, I love that cat! And I really love his thick tail. Can’t wait to see him show up in Olive and Archie’s adventure.
    BTW does the make-a-long have a title?

9. Lori says:

I love the Muppet Movie and the Movin’ Right Along song! Your new kitty is adorable.. I love the grey felt. The pincushions are perfect and not too simple.
    Lori

10. erin says:

Ok – I must be daft! I thought the animal above was a squirrel, but everyone is calling it a kitty….
    As for the pincushions – I really love the flowers. I like that they are simple – it gives them lots of charm!

11. Brooke says:

The pincushions are perfect. I would even buy the pincushion book just for those. They would make such dandy little goodies for on top of packages!

12. risa says:

i am the queen of making up songs on the fly. it may be one of my favorite activities ever. i think it’s a wonderful thing to do, and not embarassing at all!

13. molly! says:

The pincushions are so cute! And I love what you wrote about “Moving Right Along.” Ever since I got a car I have been listening to/singing that a lot to the dismay of most of my friends. It’s a good song! Take care!

14. Sasha says:

Those pincushions are delicious like candy. Complexity is not what makes good design, it’s about visual appeal and functionality, and those succeed quite handily. I wish I had a big bowl of those for decoration, they are fabulous!

15. Lotta says:

I adore those pincushions. I think a big jumbo brandy snifter of those would look cool on a shelf. (After I write this I see someone else though the same thing!)
    I have actually been debating asking you how to make those. I know it’s likely so simple that I’m gonna kick myself. But I just think they are so sweet.
    By the way. I could see you outsourcing some of this work to sell on Etsy. Those pincushions for example. Next thing you know you’ll be living in an Oak Park mansion!

16. sara says:

I love the pincushions. Simple or not, I think they’re absolutely adorable, as is the kitty.
    Have those little backpack patterns gone out yet? I suppose I shouldn’t ask since it sounds like you got plenty on your plate, but I don’t want to miss a thing!

17. susaninfrance says:

ilove the kitty and can’t wait to see the next stichettes…i’ve actually done two of the 4 girls! first craft project in over 8 months! And i love the pincushions–they totally represent your style, clean, pure but a little funky/retro with an clean edge…well that is how i think of you anyway.

18. Dawn Castro says:

I love the pin cushions they are just to sweet!! I can’t wait for the kitty!! I think the kitty needs a dog for side kick!!! Can’t wait for the kitty pattern. I just love all your cuties!!

19. Dannielle says:

The kitty is so cute! However my mind is running circles trying to come up with a plausible explanation for his armlessness. It’s a bit too late and all my stories are either unbelievable or morbid.
    Just kidding. 🙂 Really I’m just assuming that “sneak peek” meant “so far…”
    The pincushions are charming!

20. Charmaine says:

I LOVE those pincushions and need to get cranking on Christmas presents myself, but my project room remains one of the last spaces in my home to be organized and I too have house-guests this weekend. I think that calls for a late night tonight! Thanks for the much needed inspirtation, as usual.