fall like things

Thanks everybody for the commiseration on the house thing. I’ll be on the lookout for that ‘you’ll know it when you see it’ thing. The weekend cheering up plans worked pretty well. We had a busy Saturday, starting at the Farmer’s Market which is so much more fun in the Fall. We picked up some tiny pumpkin action to kick off the holiday deocrating.

Then we made the pilgrimage to Ikea/Mitsuwa. I actually found someone to help me at the cutting counter at Ikea for the first time ever. Very exciting. Some new Fall pillows are in this bag somewhere.

Mitsuwa. Hmm. What to say. I’ve been there a half dozen times this Summer and not found anything inticing enough to buy. This time was no different. I bought a magazine I’m not all that excited about just out of sheer desperation. I really want that new japanese craft book high. I haven’t been able to recreate that for quite some time now. Maybe I’m over them? What?! No. Maybe. Let’s just say if you’ve seen 10, er 20,  you’ve seen them all. Maybe that particular bookstore just isn’t getting the good stuff. Actually that might be the case. I haven’t seen anything new there in a long time and then this weekend learned that they’re closing (!) on Oct. 29. There’s a new bookshop opening up in the mall but I’m worried. It’s a very tiny space they’re moving into. Guess it’s a good time to kick the j.c.b. habit. The one thing I did find at Mitsuwa has made me very happy, these beautiful little sauce dishes.

Today we’re off to one of those farms. Those holiday, halloween, pumpkin, apple picking, harvest festival farms that are all crazy busy busting at the seams with kids this time of year. Got my fingers crossed for no field trips.

32 thoughts on “fall like things

1. Brandy says:

That tiny pumpkin/gourd sitting in the footed sauce bowl is the sweetest thing I’ve seen in ages! Or at least since the seal pup on CuteOverload recently…

2. maerlowe says:

Oh, I’m so jealous of your farm day — I wish it were autumnal enough in the southwest to go to one of those. I could use a pumpkinpatch and a petting zoo right about now.
    (I didn’t say anything about your house shopping ordeal the other day, but maybe I’ll give you hope, not depress you. We found our house on the first weekend we looked, and four days later we had a deposit in. For us, it was the 10 foot wide limestone fireplace. One or two great things can make the decision so much easier.)

3. hannah says:

we hit the cider mill this weekend too. umph. lots of kids. but i have to say it was worth it for the dozen warm apple donuts that i ate, uh, shared with the kids.

4. emily says:

lucky duck!
    I miss those pumpking farmy-hayride-apple cider trips from being a little girl so much! Mr. O is going to have a lovely time.
    I’m happy to see that everyone is getting into fall-time with such full effect.
    now I need some wee pumpkins…

5. Amanda says:

Glad you are happier. The house thing WILL work out. I have been there. We have gone as far as putting down earnest money and having it fall through. A few months later you consider it a blessing.
    Good luck with the farm!

6. carol says:

smart girl to go to a farm during the week. i would like to go sometime this fall, but really resist going on the weekend- leaving out 2 of my kids during the week. oh well, I suppose that’s what they get for growing up!
    You aren’t going to Sunny Acres are you?

7. erin says:

I am guessing that you are probably pretty safe going on October 2nd – my kids’ schools don’t hit those places until later in the month. Hope you have a great time, some yummy cider and some crisp apples!

8. *jenny says:

I am so loving that sheep! What is it about sheep anyways? And good luck with the house hunt, its exhausting. You’ll find something perfect, think positive!

9. Hildy says:

beautiful grouping of the pumpkins,sheep & new footed
    dish.very peaceful feeling. hopefully your day will be like that! best of fall to you!

10. daria says:

that white teardrop pumpkin is amazing, & those little dishes just might be better than a new j.c.b.
    here’s hoping you get a field-trip free day!

11. Stephanie Cullison says:

Hopefully it will be too early in the season to be swamped with field trips. We are members of a CSA that does the pumpkin patch thing as well. We were there on Saturday and there were only a few people there. We got to take an hour long hay ride since he took the scenic route around the farm for us since there wasn’t anyone else there. I hope you have the same luck!

12. Diana says:

They sell fabric at Ikea?!?! They don’t have any at the San Diego store.
    We don’t have farms like that around here. We will have to go to the pumpkin patch at the mall soon though. Everything is pretty commercial here. Even our lakes our man made.

13. michal says:

our local burbank (CA) ikea doesn’t have fabric either (or maybe they do and i just can’t make myself go there for another few months? maybe). that’s cool.
    i wonder if the japanese craft book industry isn’t going through some dry times, because my LA kinokuniya hasn’t served up a good book in a couple of months either. interesting.

14. Francesca says:

I’ve had a similar experience with the Kinokuniya in LA, but found that the one in Torrance has a much better selection of j.c.b. The choice of books is up to the individual store buyers, so selection varies widely from store to store.

15. Jodi says:

Which farms do you recommend? I have been living in Chicago for a few years now, but I still don’t feel like I know where to go for activities like that.
    I usually save my pumpkin patch and apple orchard visits for when I head back to Madison (Eplegaarden, Elegant Farmer, etc) or out to Michigan. It would be great to find a couple neat places in Illinois!

16. k8tykat says:

oh. the bean’s was begging me to take her to the pumpkin patch yesterday but i can’t bear it on the weekends. super crowded famrs aren’t my idea of relaxation and a good time. maybe later this week i keep telling her. maybe!
    happy fall!!

17. samantha says:

i only love the trips to the farm that include fresh kettle corn… we had some in oregon last fall. i ate kettle corn for DAYS! delicious!
    and i LOVE ikea textiles, they are the best, and i laughed about finding someone at the counter… i cannot remember a single time when someone has been at the fabric counter!
    i also like to buy the tapestries from urban outfitters and use them as fabric.

18. Anjali says:

I was feeling the same way about the JCB selection this summer — and I live in Japan, so I couldn’t chock it up to one shoddy store. But I visited a couple bookstores this weekend and saw a lot of cute fall books, so hopefully they will be arriving in the U.S. soon!

19. Jodi says:

Thanks for the email, Hillary! Maybe heading north to Wisconsin for farms is the best idea after all.
    Have you ever been to Monches Farm just outside Milwaukee (near Colgate, in view of Holy Hill)? It’s really cute — they sell tons of perennials, gifts, etc, but no produce. It’s also a hobby farm, complete with heirloom variety sheep and chickens, some of whom have those feathery legs so they look like they’re wearing pants. Monches was featured in Country Home a couple years ago.

20. amy h says:

Aw, I wish I had known that Mitsuwa even existed before now! I was just in Chicago this weekend, and did an IKEA trek on Sunday. I never get to see any Japanese craft books, so I’m still in the enamored stage. 🙂 Oh well, maybe next trip if they are still around!

21. Ryoko D says:

Don’t worry. Mistuwa is NOT closing, and the new bookstore is moving into the lot where Asahiya Booksotre is now… I know their craft book inventory has not changed much fot a while at Asahiya but there are so many new books and magazines out there in Japan. Whenever I go back to Japan I literally drool over them at bookstores (and end up buying many of them)!