make-a-long story: chapter one

It’s here! The first installment of the make-a-long story is up. Click here to read the story and that will lead you to the first make-a-long pattern for Olive & Archie.

I can’t believe we actually made our Sept. 15th deadline! I’m a little nervous. Three days straight on the computer and my brain is a little addled. I’m saying my prayers to the technology gods that everything will work smoothly. I hope y’all like the pattern and it’s clear and easy to follow. This one is a little trickier than the put-together book but not too bad. I hope. My testers survived at least. Huge HUGE thanks to Laura, Erica, Sasha and Brooke who just floored me with their generosity, energy and intelligence. You guys saved me so so much time and caught stuff I’m sure I wouldn’t have seen if I’d looked at it a hundred times. Thank you!!

And for those of you with a good memory, I’m putting the kybash on the ‘special perks for early adopters’ plan. After spending the past week consumed with this project I realize how long it all takes and trying to make ‘extras’ might just kill us. There will be freebies and fun things and they will be available to anyone who buys this first make-a-long pattern. I’m excited to get working on freebies and fun things. I’ve had my fill of html, illustrator, dreamweaver, blah blah for awhile. I haven’t even been in my craft room since vacation. Ok, enough jabber.. make! a! long!

63 thoughts on “make-a-long story: chapter one

1. Charmaine says:

So cute!!!!! The download was so simple and I love that the pattern pieces fit onto single sheets of paper without overlapping or enlarging! I’ll be busy this weekend.

2. Amber says:

Love it! It downloaded with no problem. Can’t wait to make. Do you think your story would be done by Christmas? I was thinking Christmas present for my girls. With book and dolls it would just be darling. But now is probably not a good time to ask after all that hard work. Just a thought. I absolutely loved it!

3. laeroport says:

I just printed out my download – no problems – and it looks great! Arughhhhhh! I have no time to start making these until next week!!!!!! Hmmmm… can I be “sick” tomorrow and take the day off to sew????

4. Liz says:

So cute! I just bought the pattern… Of course, I somehow managed to miss the download part. Glad I’m not the only one. I guess I’ll e-mail my receipt like Nancy. Sorry bout that!

5. Barbara C. says:

Hilary,
    Thank you for downloading the Make A Long today. Tomorrow at the crack of dawn I’m going to Ireland. I was so worried about my dtr checking and ordering. I knew she’d have a difficult time figuring it out.
    The dolls are terrific.
    Barbara

6. Melissa says:

Hilary –
    I just got your e-mail and can’t wait to download the pattern. From the response so far, I think there will be a lot of little Olives and Archies in the world.
    Thanks for saving me the headache of wondering what the heck I’m going to give to all the little girls in my family for birthdays and Christmas.
    GREAT job! I wish I had a quarter of your creativity!!

7. Sasha says:

Hillary, thank you! I had so much fun making my Archies! I will post a picture of them on my blog this afternoon. You are so talented, this is all fabulous! Love the pictures with the story!

8. van says:

Great story! It looks amazing but still, i’m hoping you turn it into a “real” book somewhere in the future. As a doll maker myself i shouldn’t buy the pattern to avoid future “inspiration” but it’s quite simple and apart from the body and leg size everything else looks very like mine so i’m all good. i like to collect these things anyway, i hope in the future baby Lilo will enjoy the collection of patterns i’ve gathered for her, i’m sure she’ll make a bunch of Olives. Humm… maybe my 7 year old cousin gives it a better use than me. yep.
    thanks again for that story, you rock!

9. caroline says:

Oh Hilary you’ve done it again – created wonderful adorable, irresistable characters. I have just gone and got my PDF and can’t wait to get cracking. Thank you so much.

10. Nicki says:

***YAY! for you***
    I got it and i’m soooo excited, although depressingly i know it is likely to be the New Year before i can make a start on this due to a scary number of crafting projects to finish for the kid’s birthdays and Christmas.
    Still, it’ll be something to look forward to in the January gloom – can’t wait :o)

11. Beth says:

I just love the book and the patterns. I think I will be busy (and have to figure out the legs thing). My daughter will love Olive and Archie and this will keep her looking forward to what comes next! Great Job!!!!

12. kathy says:

I know what I’m going to be doing this weekend. I can’t wait for Leil to get home from school (3rd grade, how cute is that!)and read along with the story. You’ve really done good my dear. This is fabulous! Congratulations on getting it launched.

13. lla says:

This is just brilliant! And I am just thrilled that Olive and Archie are 3rd graders. I am quite partial to the third graders… 🙂

14. kristy says:

hello. i only just found you a couple of weeks ago and completely fell in love with archie the first time i saw him. i can’t believe that now i can make him myself! thanks so much hillary. i can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

15. Emma says:

Wow! They’re so cool! And what a cliffhanger! Sorry for the gratuitous use of exclamation points. I was wondering why my wee bunnies looked so small compared to everyone else’s and after reading the pattern instructions for this, now I know. I must have resized to fit on A4 paper, which brings it down to 99%. Not a huge difference but probably enough. Anyone know where to get US letter sized paper in Australia?

16. Jennifer says:

Thank you thank you thank you. What else is there to say? I understand why you’re nervous, but this is a rousing, wonderful success. Congratulations!

17. Adriana says:

Thank you! Just got my copy and absolutely love it. I can’t wait to find the time to get sewing.
    Congratulations! All that hard work made for a lovely story/pattern

18. hilde from belgium says:

Me and my kids are such great fans of you and your dolls! I can’t wait to start making your dolls! I promised my kids i’ll make one for each of them, luckily I have 4 kids, so I’ll be busy this weekend!
    thank you – thank you -thank you – thank you – …
    greetings from over the ocean

19. NessieNoodle says:

I just downloaded my pattern! I can hardly wait to get home and sew (yes, bad girl I am- downloading and blogging at work. it’s friday! what do expect!)
    thanks for making this so much fun…
    and for all your inspiration- I just made my first toy last week- my own pattern and I am in love with playing on my machine now.
    keep it coming!

20. Bettsi says:

So cute! Thanks, Hillary! The download worked great. I’m wondering if the book will be printed up and available when everything is done. Your mad photoshop skills slay me!

21. Molly says:

Thanks so much for this story! I have been stalking your site for a week now waiting for the release! I managed to flub the download somehow, but emailed you my paypal receipt, too. Sorry for the user error.
    I was hoping you would re-release The Stitchettes since I missed that and I am sure you could sell out another group of them!
    You are such an inspiration.

22. kylie d says:

oooops…I didnt download the patterns.I have just sent you an email with my receipt. And Ive blamed it on my kids..(as you do yeah??). Im dying to see what they have to do, to be big kids and get into that playground!

23. vera says:

i just love you ideas. i have been looking forward to getting these patterns since you announced it. i bought mine the first chance i got and look forward to sewing them up the first chance i get. i look foward to continuing their story…thanks so much! :0) x

24. Madeline says:

Congrats! I went ahead and bought it even though I’m a novice. I would love to have a set of these dolls for my kids one of these days. Your wee bunny was the very first thing I ever sewed so I’m hoping this will get done too!

25. Kay says:

Am excited to get back home and make these. I just lost my father due to an extended illness and this will be a great project for me. I did make a kitty for him from your pattern book and he was able to see it and hold it before he passed away on Thurs. What a brillant and talented lady you are. Thanks for sharing. Kay

26. Francesca (Stuntmother) says:

I only just found you (via SouleMama) and have already succumbed to your wiles and bought the pattern for Olive and Archie (although I think in our house they will be known as Helena and Daniel and will have many many adventures, including travel to Jupiter, a destination de jour, for some reason).
    I am glad to have found you — for here there seems a small oasis of sweet simplicity, which we could all use more of.

27. Kirsty Campion says:

My real little boy is called Archie. We’ll be sure to follow the story together. Archie would love it if he was the Hero and save Olive from the big kids !!! Hope I haven’t given the plot away LOL

Comments are closed.