near miss cuties

I had a flurry of sewing activity on Saturday and finished up the doll from Friday. Then I decided she wasn’t right and tried something else which turned into this second gal. Her giant hair is awesome (thanks Lyn for the hand dyed wool!) but her body was all wonky. I could tell at a half-finished point that neither of these was what I was going for but I was bound and determined to finish them up anyway instead of just add them to my growing pile of cast off rejects. Now that I have Maggie I’m more motivated to actually finish up the not-quite-right dolls.

ok, back to the drawing board….

56 thoughts on “near miss cuties

1. amy k. says:

wow-did you do some trick photography?? becasue all I see is sheer rad-ness. what are you doing to me with that hair? amazing and genius.
    they look smaller than your others? are they?? i lurv them! (lurv is more than love, BTW.)

2. Ez says:

These are absolutely fantastic! I too adore what you’ve done with their hair and faces. If I tried my hardest, my “perfect” pieces would never turn out near as fabulous as your “misses.” I think they are divine!

3. susaninfrance says:

oooh I like them, nice smaller size and kinda floppy arms? thought you were working on that. i’ve read the best size for a real child’s doll is the size of their forearm…which is probably not a bad idea. I really really like them, great work. if only my work was as good as your rejects!

4. kate says:

I would LOVE to make one for my 2 year old granddaughter’s birthday soon- is there a similar pattern ANYWHERe????
    HELP!

5. Lotta says:

Love the buns – make yourself a pair of princes leia buns and do something even more fun with husband than sewing on Saturday afternoon (wink wink)

6. macati says:

Hi!
    what can I say after reading all the comments about these dolls… just “idem” I love them, so sweet, so beautiful, so “hugable”.
    manela

7. Louise says:

reject pile, are you kidding??? they are so cute, love the faces and hair. You are being too critical, and from the preceeding comments I know I am not alone in thinking they are great.

8. Rebecca says:

Oh I love them! I can envision them starring in their own book “The Not-Quite-Right Dolls” and they would have wonderful adventures and learn in the end that we are all different in our own ways . . . okay tangent . . . but I love them.

9. maggie smith says:

hillary–ohmigosh, that doll with the bun-hair is the cutest!!!! what a great idea–just love her!!!
    by the way, did you get a package from me?
    xx, maggie