Embroidery sites

As promised, here are some helpful embroidery how-to links. I was going to do a little tutorial on embroidery but I’m a one stitch wonder and there are lots of sites out there that already have great instructions and diagrams. For everything I’ve embroidered so far I use a split stitch with half a strand of floss instead of the whole thing so it’s less bulky. Not too adventurous.  When I want to do something crazy, say a french knot or something I refer to my Complete guide to needlework or these sites which I’ve found to be helpful…

– sharon b’s dictionary of stitches here
– and for kids (or those of us who like it simple), The Little Experience How to Sew page here.

and here are some more links from Vicki of Patternbee (whose site you definitely have to check out if you’re digging embroidery!)…

– the DMC site which has printable guide sheets, and other links to interesting things
the Embroiderers Guild’s stitch index

Here’s my latest embroidery project (yes, split stitch, shocker!) embellishing a big footed bunny dress with white on white embroidery – a beautiful idea that I picked up while drooling over this quilt at Pink Chalk Studio (another site you definitely need to visit if you haven’t yet)

Know of any other great embroidery resource sites to add to the list?

27 thoughts on “Embroidery sites

1. jane says:

I like Sharon’s site – I’ve been enjoying the 100detailsin100days group on flickr – it’s the brainchild of Sharon at inaminuteago – she’s posting a new embelishment every day for 100 days… I guess it’s for crazyquilting but I’ve been learning a lot

2. caroline says:

I completely agree with you about Pink Chalk Studio.
    I don’t know of any good embroidery sites but one book I can certainly recommend is Marie-Noelle Bayard’s ‘Embroidery Techniques and Patterns’ it seems to cover just about everyhthing with good clear photo diagrams.

3. libbey says:

I’m just teaching myself some embroidery stiches and am making a little baby blankie, with my own little girl on the front. It is for the baby I’ve been watching and her family is moving I wanted her to have somthing to take with her. I’m excited to pick up one of those complete embrodery books ecspecially for so cheap on amazon.

4. ~ bridgette ~ says:

I tend to use the stem stitch for everything. I simply cannot master the French knot! I’m curious though, you say you use half of the floss when doing a split stitch but half the floss would be three threads. Wouldn’t that leave two threads on one side and only one on the other of your stitches? That doesn’t end up looking too sparse or off-balance?

5. rachel says:

funny, I was just working on some baby blocks for a friend of mine, and was thinking how I could use some stitching references! THANK YOU! By the way, I love love love your website. I check it almost every day to see what is going on.

6. Paula says:

ooh…I’m so sad that I missed the sale of the patterns, but am eagerly looking forward to your fall designs. (My FAVORITE time of year!)

7. Jeanie says:

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by a half strand of floss? I usually use 2 strands for stem stitch-is that what you use for split stitch???

8. sara says:

Kristin Nicholas All the way! She is as bright, wonderful and sweet as her work. If you haven’t yet, check out Colorful Stitchery.

9. Sadie says:

Wonderful blog! I love embroidery and once upon a time I designed patterns for several needlework magazines. Hand embroidery is so satisfying. I have a site for you.
    http://www.needlecrafter.com/ The library section is full of wonderful free vintage designs.
    Thanks for all the inspiration!

10. kathy says:

I love the embroidery on the dress. What a great fabric. I definitely need to do some more of this. Congratulations on publishing the transfers. Can’t wait to receive my set. I want to use them for blocks in a baby quilt.

11. manuela tinoco says:

Thank you for the interesting sites you gave… so many things to explore… I liked the clover page suggested by susana… keep on with the good work,
    manela

12. Kristin Nicholas says:

I love your blog! I have been reading it for a few months and this is my first time to comment. I have been really happy you have been showing so much embroidery – yours are simple, approachable and oh so cute.
    I have two books out now on stitching. The most recent is Colorful Stitchery – mostly projects for the home. The other is Kids Embroidery which is for kids but also great for adults. I know they’re not websites, but if stitchers like to hold something solid in their hands, these are both great for beginners.
    Congratulations on the new patterns. They are adorable.
    Kristin Nicholas

13. Veronica TM says:

Thanks for all those great links! This is not a site, but I really like ‘The Embroidery stitch bible’ book. Here is the amazon link: ttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873495101/sr=1-1/qid=1154708516/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1987701-4557648?ie=UTF8&s=books

14. rebecca says:

as if i didn’t have enough to do on the comp today and you go and add all these great links! yikes! so, guess i’ll add, too. let’s not forget sublimestitching.com
    and i need to ‘second’ the mention of needlecrafter – it has some beautiful free patterns!

15. Nicki says:

Thancks for the resources, i think i may need them. I just had to have your stichettes even though i rate below amateur when it comes to embroidery! They arrived today and are every bit as cute as i thought they’d be – huge thanks!

16. Claire says:

Thanks for all of those great links! I’ve been trying to get back into embroidery (the last time I picked up needle and thread was when I was 12!). I also just received the stichettes from you. (And I’m delurking, so hi!)

17. stacy says:

I wanted to thank you for all of the links, I am just starting out into the embroidery world, and on your split stitch or just embroidery in general how many strands of the floss do you use at a time. Any tips would be great.
    Thanks a million