like a polaroid picture

Ok. That was fun. Despite the drudgery of bubble jet set and the agony that is our printer, still so much fun! So this is the fabric design of mine that I mentioned last week for my finish what you started quest. It was one of the  4 or 5 sketches I came up with trying to design a fabric line in one sitting by looking around the apartment for inspiration. As you can see a Shaker Workshops catalog was laying around. Here’s my original sketch. After pulling it into Illustrator and playing around with it Tim thought it’d look cool all jammed up and with more objects. So I did a few more drawings and then Tim monkeyed with it until he got a repeat that works. Again, so handy that guy. And here it is fresh off the printer!

And here’s the little bag I made with it.

It really does feel good to go back and finish up an abandoned project. Now maybe I’ll tackle the 10 year quilt. ha.

58 thoughts on “like a polaroid picture

1. eireann says:

excellent.
    Learning to print fabric has been one of the most fulfilling things in my grad school life. I get really excited about it, dorky as that may be, from the first sketches to arranging the repeats and burning th screens and printing and and and!
    Anyway, this is awesome fabric. I would buy it in a store.

2. christina says:

we were just doing some prints with the Gocco but this is amazing. is the ink even? how well did the ink take to the fabric? i just love this illustration you did.
    as always keep up the wonderful work. it is always so nice to have a partner in crime.

3. jordana says:

oooh. we have been working on designing fabric as well, but dragging our heels a bit. now i am jealous and want to finish ours too. i hope it comes out as wonderful as yours. oh and… i still want to trade fabric scraps, if that is ok?

4. christina says:

oh my ‘partner in crime’ wants to know what type of printer you used and if the ink is pigment or dye? he likes this idea as much and i do and of course wants to know all the details. he is the on that pays attention to detail.

5. Sarah says:

Wow. Just wow. The fabric design is sweet (as in saaaa-weet!, not sweet as in sacharine) and the bag adorable.
    You inspire me and make me want to bang my head against the wall all at the same time. I’ve yet to be able to establish the amazing feat of being able to create (or at least make) without truly neglecting my children or the daily ins and outs of life (or both). I get that you probably have mondo dust bunnies roaming your apartment, or piles of laundry heaped somewhere, or a little boy begging you for some attention, or some other something that’s being pushed to the side so you can do the wonderful things you do. I really do understand that it’s a dance. But still, you’ve acheived a kind of balance nonetheless. I envy that balance no matter how precarious it may be. Your work isn’t only inspiring in a creative sense but also in the sense that it makes me want to try harder to find a balance. It also inspires me to gnaw the inside of my cheek raw because I haven’t found it yet. Ah, life.

6. Toni says:

Really cute. Yes indeed, your hub is very handy! I could never figure all that out.
    Fabric designing is also high on my list of interests. I have started using my Gocco stamper and was pretty pleased with my outcome. I’m really intrigued with block printing too. Now, I just need to scratch out some more time try again.

7. Blair says:

I love that fabric so much! The bag is great too. That husband of yours, I tell ya. I wish Peter would help me out like Tim. I come up with these ideas, start spewing at the mouth, and all I usually get is this incredibly blank stare with maybe a “wha…..”, to which I usually reply something like “come on, throw me a bone here”, and stamp off. killjoy!

8. marybeth says:

alright, i think we have to consider the possibility that you are one of the Brilliant human beings secretly CLONED x 20 by the govt and all of you are are brilliantly creating together!!! =) =)
    AbsoFrickinlutely AMAZING!!
    Love, Love Love the fabric!

9. Alicia P. says:

Wow, Hillary. I had no idea regular people could print fabric like that. Not that you are “regular people” of course — but. Wow how cool.
    Sorry — I’m still kind of stuck in the wow-ish moment. I wish I didn’t hate all computer programs other than Pagemaker.

10. Barb says:

Holy cow (trying not to cuss here, but it’s so amazing). I love love love the whimsical nature of this. The ‘shake it’ totally makes it. Wow.

11. Daphne says:

Oh yeah. An affordable way to have cool furniture in my house, right here. Love it love it love it and hope someone hires you for $1,000,000 (annually) to design fabric for the world. only wait, it wouldn’t be affordable then… Well, you get my drift.

12. julie says:

oh my goodness.
    I have to say I am in love with this incredibly beautiful design. It’s Shaker but it’s also a little Eames-ish. so so cool. and the pink “shake it” is just icing on the cake. oh my.

13. valentina says:

Wow. Fooled me. At first I thougth it was some great vintage fabric you’d scored. Or Japanese, because of the seemingly nonsensical writing. Very cool.

14. Kris says:

Well, I think everything that could possibly be said has come before me. I just say DITTO to all of them. Except for the one about banging my head against a wall. I’m not for that. *wink* You inspire me to figure out how to draw, for 1. Then actually draw something I like would be a 2. Then see what fabric will go thru my printer would definitely be the #3. Anyway, you’ve inspired me to create outside my box. Thanks so much.

15. Bree says:

I just have a couple of questions – does your printer print 11 x 17″ paper? Or did you make the bag with sections that were 8.5 x 11″? And did you leave the freezer paper on the fabric when it went through the printer? I guess so because why would you put it on there in the first place…maybe it helps it run more smoothly through…Anyway, I really like the bag too, of course, I have been itching to make some textile patterns myself. I just have to sit down and do it. I have never heard of doing it this way though…always good to hear about new techniques. The only thing I wish about yours is that the word “shake it” was hand aritten instead of computer written, I like the way you wrote it in your sketch…but that is just me! I love how your hobby is slowly turning into a career – very inspiring…

16. Liesl says:

Hillary, I rarely comment because you always have so many people gushing over your wonderful work already. But I have to tell you that I love your fabric print. You and Tim make a good pair!