hobbibot

These are hurried, hectic modern times we live in. Stressful, chaotic, overscheduled times. Running to and fro, errands, classes, work, activities, groups, outings. How is one supposed to find the time for relaxation, for recharging, for hobbies. Introducing the Hobbibot 2006. No time to knit? Don’t worry. Go ahead and work right up til bedtime. Wash all those dishes and do one more load of laundry because the Hobbibot will knit that baby sweater for you. This new deluxe model does it all, gift knitting, fashion knitting, even the very relaxing and therapeutic afghan knitting. With turbo buttons for intarsia, cables and socks you’ll never have to pick up a knitting manual again. The latest model even includes a research function which will hunt around for hours online for cute designer patterns and then automatically recalibrate the patterns for cheap yarn substitutes. The future is now.

yarn dispensing pack

working on a previously abandoned baby sweater

control panel (stitch markers by maize hutton, here.)

oh wait! missing a few things. ok, now the knitting can begin…

** also, if you’re the nosey type you can check out Amy giving me the third degree over on whip up. thanks Amy!!

90 thoughts on “hobbibot

1. fillyjonk says:

That is so cute and so funny!
    I love all the detail – especially the mouth made to look like knitted stitches and the “…k1…p2..” “readout” on his (?) chest.

2. Daphne says:

Hillary. You are going to have server problems soon. That is all I have to say except me, first. The only only only problem with him coming to live at my house is I might try to take away his sweater. Or use his row counter. I’m in love with a robot!

3. hannah says:

i guess i am nosey because i clicked through. thanks for the peek into the team. that robot? too much. so good. i cant even think of what to say.

4. Folkcat says:

Okay, you got me to comment. That Hobbibot is just too freakin’ cute! I don’t know that I want mine to take over the knitting itself, but it would certainly be nice to have someone who could fetch me the size 7 needles that I think I need instead of these size 6, or pick up the stitch markers that dropped on the floor, or search and collect the extra skein of yarn I need because I miscalculated. Or just calculate for me in the first place to avoid that altogether!

5. Snowbear says:

u sew good–I suspect a bit of scrapbooking was used to make those metal hangers though–am I right? Never say never–those guys got all the cool tools.

6. molly says:

wow, he’s even programmed to bring wine and chocolate? perfect.
    this just reminded me–when we were younger, my mother would give us her credit card to buy her a christmas present.(what WAS she thinking?) one year we bought her a large blowup robot carrying a plastic tray. it was remote control, and I honestly (in my middle school mind) thought this was going to be the end of me doing chores and tasks for my mother. I thought this robot would handle it from here on out. obviously, it didn’t work out so nicely and we ended up getting rid of it because it would turn on by itself and race around the house whenever an airplane flew overhead.
    yours looks much less dangerous, but all business!

7. Corinne says:

My first look at this was…so cute.
    Then the more I looked, I laughed and laughed! Love the details! Stitchcounter on the head….the double points, at a ready grip! He looks ready for battle. SO great.
    Then the final picture…ahhh, I think I relate a bit too much to it! (I love my wine and late night crafting!)

8. myra says:

Since I will probably never learn to knit, I must have one of these guys, actually 3 would be even better. Gotta get them started on Christmas presents!
    Too cute!

9. Jane says:

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
    I so want to walk around with a yarn dispensing pack on my back. It would beat all the local tourists with their backpacks (in an English town??) at their own game.

10. Jennifer says:

Oh. my. god. I love the ‘bot! Now if I just had time to make one for myself… Funny, I’d probably have to knit one, since I find it much easier to find time to knit than sew. 🙂

11. lla says:

ack! Every detail about this is just dead clever!
    Don’t we all need a hobbibot???? (or at the very least our very own KI…P2 LED!)

12. hvm says:

too hilarious. i love the row counter on the top- excellent touch.
    thanks for making me nearly pee my pants laughing on a really bad day. you rule.

13. Kari says:

This is why I voted for Robots & space toys for your next booklet! I knew you’d ROCK our socks off with them! Hobbibot is amazing, I LOVE the stitch markers, and row counter atop! I’ll be waiting (on baited breath!) for the robots book! LOL

14. sarah says:

hillary, you are just an amazing legend type person, and you and amy together in one post is just too much fun!!! (finally getting mmm on the way to you today, sorry it’s taken so long)

15. Amy says:

That’s hysterical. Hmmm – I didn’t realize you could drink, eat chocolate and knit altogether (I’m not a yarn person – perhaps I need to be!) Kuddos on yet another fantastic creation.

16. Katie says:

Oh, Hobbibot is so great! I can see it now: Hobbibot and I relaxing on a summer weekend, each knitting one of pair of socks, so that we don’t get second sock syndrome; Hobbibot weaving in the ends on my knitting projects and also retrieving them after I’ve thrown the project across the room in rage.

17. Jillian says:

I’m sitting in my office trying to contain my snickering – I love him! His wee hat… the yarn dispenser… just gorgeous!

18. Maritza says:

That is the best! I totally love hobbibot! Great details – I especially love the little hooks holding the stitch markers and the little socks. So cute, so clever – love it!
    Great interview on whip-up, by the way.

19. kimberly says:

I love hobbibot, but then I love all your ‘bots. I’m also relieved to hear I’m not the only one with parents who took disco lessons!

20. Shelly says:

I also love the wine and chocolates in the background of the last photo.
    I love robots. This one is really terrific!
    You were wondering which patterns to do? My vote: robots!

21. Delphine says:

I love it, it’s so funny !!! and all the other things that you make (sorry I’m French and I speek very bad English 🙁 ) are really marvellous !!!
    Thank you for the free pattern, I hope I’ll soon have enough time to try … see you soon surely on this blog 🙂

22. JanetinPortland says:

This is fabulous! Thank you for inventing hobbibot for all those knitting projects that I will never have enough time to do.

23. vegasandvenice says:

Oh incredible! That is a lot better than my idea of keeping your knitting needles in a pocket on the back of your panties and you balls of yarn in your bra for some on-the-go knitting!
    You amaze me!

24. BM says:

I must have a knitting buddy…NOW! Where can I get one? You made it? Of course… and now I have to drop everything and make one!