pull me

ok, it’s got wheels! I was up way too late working on this guy last night. I still didn’t put in enough work to satisfy Oscar. He was at me all morning to finish it up. In that especially charming toddler sort of way… is it done, is it done, is it done, can I play with it, can I play with it…  It was actually kinda funny so I got the video camera out. I’m was tempted to put up the desperate pleas but instead here’s a tiny happy bit of the final moment. And of course he was on to something else 2 minutes later!

I started from a little drawing I did of an elephant. Then made up a pattern, crossed my fingers and it worked on the first try. Well sort of, I had to reshape the trunk a bit, still… that NEVER  happens. I use a mints tin for the base and quilted some dotted flannel to batting for the cover. The wheels are hot glued (not all that well) to dowels for the axels and then I secured them in place by sewing twill tape over them. I attached an alphabet tape for the pull and she’s ready to go!

75 thoughts on “pull me

1. Carolyn says:

Precious elephant! You are such a do-er woman!!
    And an even more precious boy asking if it was done and could be play with it! I could just eat him up!

2. Anna says:

You are truly talented!!!!
    That toy is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope you are rpoud of yourself because that elephant on wheels is awesome.
    *The videos of your son are adorable. I love his voice, too cute!

3. whitty says:

I think one of my ovaries just fell out – that video is so adorable!
    Only slightly more adorable than the wheeled elephant, so very cute and clever!

4. hannah says:

if i say i need dirt can oscar come play at my house??? oh my gosh hillary… i mean normally i would be gushing about that elephant (which is just AMAZING) but then you had to go and throw oscar in the mix…

5. k8tykat says:

you are so VERY talented hillary!
    thank you for sharing your creations with us, and thank you for sharing oscar with us as well. he’s very sweet.

6. Tiffany says:

You have single-handedly met my cute quota for the week. I adore the elephant…such a fabulous bulbous booty. And Oscar! Your head must want to explode sometimes from the cuteness!

7. Michelle says:

This is Brilliant! You have probably just spawned a whole new generation on animals on wheels! I love the colours and the fabric, just everything!

8. michelle says:

Wow, that is absolutely awesome! So cute! I want one too! (and I am not a toddler, but I would probably have to pry it away from my 5 year old son first!)

9. Sarah says:

I just showed my toddler the video of Oscar and he wants the elephant now! And he wants to say Bye-bye Oscar. (Guess I better get sewing!)

10. Julia says:

EEEEEEE! I love love love that elephant!!! It’s amazing! what a great toy. Oscar is a lucky (and cute!) little boy to have such a cool mum!

11. Courtney says:

How cute, and loved the video of Oscar. I see he is in the same stage as my Elliot…repeat the same thing over and over until Mommy says it back to you…

12. jenny vorwaller says:

HILLARY LANG!
    *you are so amazing*
    bow bow bow to you!
    and oh my goodness! oscar is soooo incredibly adorable! i love that after alll the time you put into such a perfect, perfect creation…that he gets to play with it! :))
    *gushes* and *beams* :))

13. van says:

“who needs dirt?”
    “me!”
    that is precious! he’s the best… and i never thought you’d sound sound like that, so “mummy”!
    awww… thumbs up for your little family!
    oh the elephant… i should say something about that right?
    … but you guys are sooo cuteee….
    xxooxxo

14. Suzanne says:

No wonder you have SOoooo many comments on this post! Im from Portugal and I love reading your blog and the wonderful things you make! Your Oscar is really, really cute! And the elephant you made him is fantastic! Wish you lots of happy things!

15. Adriana says:

Your elephant is adorable. I really like his shape.
    And Oscar is just gorgeous. It was nice to hear his voice. And yours too!
    Thanks for sharing

16. Veronica TM says:

He is sooooo cute! I love the videos and can’t wait for my baby to play with something I make for her. You are such an inspiration Hillary!

17. Tami says:

Oh sooooo cute … that elephant has the cutest shape. Amazing how you got such a modern, graphic looking elephant from a simple softie technique! Can’t wait to see more softies on wheels.

18. Lizette says:

This is such a cute pattern Hillary. I really like it. Sweet. I don’t like to re-do patterns either but sometimes I don’t have a choice. I have to find me some of that tape too!

19. Rebecca says:

You never cease to amaze me! Can you bottle some of your talent, creativity and energy and send it my way? 🙂 Has anyonw yet said “Best Toy Ever!”? Love it.

20. TCheney says:

Great job on the elephant. I think I can hook you up with a drill & get those wheels attached in a more permanent way so this toy can see some serious play time.
    TC… over in Beaverton

21. Blair says:

That elephant is adorable or genius, but Oscar is outshining big time! He is the sweetest, that voice??!! And we got to hear your voice too, very cool!

22. Paula says:

Dear Hillary,
    I came here a lot, but always so shy to make a comment. : )
    Now I just have to say something, after these wonderful videos and pictures of the most beautiful elephant toy I’ve ever seen.
    Your work is so amazing, thank you for sharing with us.
    Oh, and your Oscar… when I become a mommy, I want one like him! ♥
    Best wishes!

23. amy k. says:

yeah-so oscar so cute-pete actually made a noise when he watched the video. cute! and yes, the toy is awesome-but so is that kid you all made!

24. marietta says:

that is ust the cutest thing ever! i love it – that could be done for Tigerente (german for tiger-duck, from a children;s series by Janosch)
    Just adorable!

25. kimberly says:

What can I say that hasn’t been said before. I love your little creations, I could say you’re amazingly talented but you know that. The elephant is so cute. I loved watching the little movie. How adorable!! I just needed to let you know. Thanks for sharing!