Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy

We rented the new Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightley one) the other night so I was looking for a in-front-of-the-tv project I could work on. I have a lot of baby gifts to make so I thought maybe I’d try to embroider something. Very Regency of me I think. I came up with this little embroidered doll. Jess’ excitement over this type of drawn/embroidered doll and all the beautiful embroidery Maitreya have been doing lately got me all fired up to give it a shot. (speaking of excitement, have you seen Jess’ latest knitting project – love it! can’t wait to hear what it’s all about).

This may be my most successful embroidery outing yet. Hooray! Lots of things I would improve on but not too many flubs and I think she’ll make a cute baby gift. Ok, enough with the crafting, on to the Pride & Prejudice review. I had to watch it twice — in a row — because that’s how one watches Pride & Prejudice. I pretty much agree with all Claire has to say on the subject. A dreamy new Mr. Darcy (Collin Firth really alright, almost killed it for me with that Love Crap-tually) and it is such a good story that it can stand to be reinterpreted over and over. I liked a lot of the casting. Jena Malone was perfect. I much prefer this Mr. Collins. And the scenery was gorgeous! But in the end it just doesn’t ring true the way the BBC version does. And I’m just not even going to get started on Miss Knightley. I’ll always be a Jennifer Ehle devotee. And um, "Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy". What the heck?! Kinda has a ‘whatever you do, stay alive, I will find you’ ring to it don’t you think? Suffice to say I’m halfway through the real Pride and Prejudice and feel all purged and clean again. Maybe even ready to start another embroidered doll.

49 thoughts on “Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy

1. Amy says:

I just watched that version of Pride & Prejudice the other night. That Mrs. Darcy stuff was horribly painful. If you want to be totally scarred, check out the book “Darcy Takes a Wife”. I think it’s time I watched the Colin Firth version of P&P again. The LOOK more than makes up for Love Craptacurally and that leather trouser try-on montage in What a Girl Wants.

2. molly says:

don’t get me started on the great things on BBC–love it.
    Beautiful, beautiful doll. Your embroidery is exquisite–her hair especially…my embroidery skills are something i really want to improve.this is quite motivating!

3. lisa says:

i am so in love with your embroidery designs and talents. oh, that i could do what you do. and i got your package. i love everything in it so much.

4. emily says:

Agreed, agreed all around! I do think this Jane was better, too…she’s so lovely and looks like a blonde Audrey Tautou, and is actually pretty (the BBC Jane looks like a wierd giraffe). I think that the hair spectrum (Darcy’s mullet and Mr. Bingley’s crazy-surfer-punk look) was also pretty incredible.
    Your doll is wonderful!

5. jess hutch says:

I love the embroidered doll, lovely work! P&P (the book and the BBC version) always get me in the embroidery mood. They also make me want to dance around in formation and take long muddy walks. Hmmm.

6. Alex says:

Your doll is charming.
    Like the embroidery very much.
    By tha way, last week I bought the spring/summer issue of “stitch idees” (ISBN 4-529-04238-3), a very lovely, much inspiring book.
    What Amy wrote about “Darcy Takes a Wife” is true, it’s awful. Couldn’t finish it. Went to get a copy of the real Jane Austen version to recover from this horrible experience.
    Don’t know if I manage to watch the new movie since I just love the BBC version. Watch it over and over, no matter how much Jane looks like a weird giraffe (which I don’t think) and especially because of Darcy’s love crappyism…

7. Creative Kismet says:

The doll is amazing! Beautiful stitching!! Totally and utterly adorable!!
    P & P is one of my most favorite books and I’m terribly frightened to watch the Keira version. We’ll see.

8. rose says:

Sweet little dolly! I just watched the new P&P too, I liked it, on the balance, as much as the BBC version – but for totally different reasons. If you could just mush the two together….but you’re spot on about the end – yeesh!

9. Emma says:

It is a lovely doll. Here in Australia we had the UK ending of the film at the cinema. It ended with Mr Bennet saying “If anyone calls for Mary or Kitty, by all means send them in. I’m quite at my leisure”. When we got it out recently on dvd we watched the american ending. It was just ack,ack,ack. Some things are best left to the imagination.

10. marybeth says:

I am relieved to read of your dislike of the newest version of P*P. We just watched it for 3 long hours( or was it 6?) last Saturday and I was disappointed on all fronts-yuck!–2-thumbs down, I almost fell a sleep, -and yes I’d like my 3.99 refunded as the sound track was difficult to hear and the ” made for wide screen” version was annoying as h- e – double tooth picks, – on my “not so wide” screen T. V.
    The dolly is adorable =)

11. Heatherica says:

I love this little doll! She is so sweet :)
    Oh, I have never seen the BBC P&P!! I guess I should then! I liked this one, but Kiera Knightley sort of annoys me and the ending was dreadful.

12. Chris Howard says:

Wow, I must be a total freak, because I loved BOTH versions of P&P, and even kinda liked the schmaltzy ending of the new one. Perhaps I was just more caught up in the moment? I have to say I liked the design aesthetic of the new one much better. It seemed to play less “flat” to me, and I found myself captivated and watching the backgrounds, the lighting, the scenery, etc.
    Actually I’m writing here to ask something. What is the “Colin Firth Love Crap”? I’ve long been a fan of the 90’s BBC P&P (I rewatch it at least twice a year)and am curious as to what part you are talking about.

13. hannah says:

im with chris, i love both versions for what they are. when i want to relax and poor over the whole story, its bbc all the way. when i just want a quick romantic fix, the new one is perfect. granted, i got the dvd right after having birthed my third child and watched it at least six times in two weeks. i love the new darcy, and like claire am in the process of watching spooks. pretty good, definitely something to do projects while watching.
    your doll is splendid, and ever so regency hillary.

14. valerie says:

What a little darling! I especially like the bow.
    I have this love/hate thing with Jane Austen. Some days I am virtually COMPELLED to read one (or more) of her novels, the whole time wanting to throw it across the room because I don’t like any of the characters… I have no idea why. Yet I’ve read P&P at least 6 or 7 times.

15. Viv says:

Despite myself (for I am no fan of Kiera Knightley, although she has grown on me) I like both versions – and prefer the “British” ending, without The Kiss. I have to say that the recent KK P&P is more true in that it recreates the circumstances of the Bennets much more truthfully than the older P&P where they seem pretty nicely off, all in all. The more recent one really seems like an old painting in its detail and chaos and cheek-by-jowl living arrangements which do indeed seem lowly compared to Mr D’Arcy and his ilk.
    No two ways about it though, your dollies are sweet.

16. carol says:

What an adorable doll!
    I love seeing how your other creations translate into this “sort of 2-dimensional” design. I think working on projects like this can be so satisfying and pinned to a sewing machine.
    I think I need to pick up my embroidery hoop and floss and get going…to the back yard, park, zoo, a coffee shop…wherever!

17. sarah says:

I watched the Kiera Knightly version of P&P last night and must say I liked it quite a bit, though I have to admit the BBC version is not fresh enough in my mind to compare it to. What was up with Mr. Bingley’s Ronald McDonald hair? And why did he act like a complete moron the entire movie? Watch out, Jane, you’re marrying a fool of a court jester! Mr. McFadyen, on the other hand, was ravishing as Mr. Darcy. (Colin Firth? Ick!) And who doesn’t love Kiera Knightley, even if she is a spoiled brat? Allright, maybe I’m just jealous. . .loved the music, too. Makes me want to read this book all over again! : )

18. filambulle says:

I was kind of liking Keira Knightley before seing this P&P. She was kind of cute in the “love actually” movie. But as an Elysabeth? I hated her! That hair! That stupid gesture. Those stupid and irritating gigglings. Yuck yuck.
    I must go back to the BBC version to wash my irritation, now that I remembered it again.
    I liked that Jane though.
    But only her.
    Oh, and I discovered recently the US ending. I am very sorry that someone could think imaginable to add such a stupid scene.
    I know, I know. But stupid is really the word.
    Your embroidery is fun and nice, though.

19. samantha says:

P&P is only the BBC for me, and you can not watch it too many times. I love your little regency darling. If you love Jane Austen, you should get you hands on a copy of “The Jane Austen Book Club” which is a great novel, with some interesting takes on Austen.

20. Karen says:

BBC Version – All the way! Keira just annoyed me in the new version. She seemed so insipid whereas in the books, she’s this wonderful, strong, stubborn woman which Jennifer Erle portrayed perfectly. And why wasn’t there more of a Wickham storyline? I totally needed to watch the BBC version after watching the new one.

21. Caitlin O'Connor says:

OMG, I just about BRAFED when I saw the American ending for the new P&P – I loved just about everything else about it – especially the ORDINARY dresses they mostly wore (not the tizzed up all the time things of the BBC!). But WHY the director thought the Americans needed that extra bit tacked on the end?!?!?

22. katie says:

Matthew McF is a great Darcy, unlike Colin, I felt I could see him falling in love with Lizzie and mastering his feelings then giving in to them – I never understood why Colin’s Darcy did – he seemed to be just as crusty at the end as he was at the start. The sets were perfect – unlike the BBC there was real dirt! But having the luxury of watching in the UK, I didn’t discover the alternate US ending until I got the DVD. What was that about?

23. Alicia P. says:

I liked both versions — though I never know exactly what anyone sees in the petulant Arsy Darcy myself.
    Your little embroidered darling is absolutely beautiful, sweetie!

24. rebecca says:

In full agreement that the BBC version of P&P is superior, although I definitely prefer the more recent mr. darcy–so melancholy! I can’t get over Keira K’s WIG, though! Horrible! With the little tufts sticking out of the bottom. I guess you could say it was as tacked on as the ending.
    Love the doll, by the way, especially her little rosebud lips.

25. --erica says:

Somehow you overcame “Mrs. Darcy.. Mrs. Darcy..” and still did beautiful embroidery!!!
    I own the old one and now the new…. but always favor the old. The new is lent out.. somewhere and I’m finding I don’t miss it.

26. amy k. says:

P&P can wait, plus I am no help here becasue i am behind in veiwing either one!! and I haven’t read it in years-need to catch up on all this
    -i can’t get enough of your dolly!! I love her so much!! please please please keep doing these-I love the shape with the stitching on top, like a soft fabric outline of a doll, with the stitched details-lovely. maybe next a little house to go with her? or a mushroom!! i am hoping for a mushroom.

27. Shannon says:

The dolly is wonderful! There is something about the A&E P&P that always makes me want to embroider also. I’ve finished some of my favorite projects during a veiwing of that!
    The new P&P definitly had it’s drawbacks but I must agree that with scenery and costume, they were much more realistic (i.e.- the not-made-up look of the younger girls, the crowded style of Longbourne, the DIRT!). I also have to say that I LOVED Judy Dench’s Lady Catherine; but really, how can you not like Judy Dench, lol!
    The book will forever be my favorite version though and it has one very decided advantage, you can imagine everything just as you like it!

28. Simmyb says:

I must say you started something here with your comments about P&P. Firstly, I just want to say that I’m a great admirer of your work and this embroidery is beautiful. As for the film I didn’t even go and see the the new version as Keira Knightly pisses me off too much with her (seductive) pouting. (She pouted the whole time in Dr Zhivago – yuk). I love the BBC version and also watch it a couple of times a year. Mrs Bennet is great as is Mr Collins (they make you cringe everytime they open their mouths) and I have loved Colin Firth ever since I saw him in Another Country.

29. Lily says:

Oh my goodness you struck a chord with fellow blogsters on your critique of P&P. I totally agree with you and nearly choked on my Weeties when I heard Keira Knightley had been nominated for an Oscar for her turn as Lizzie Bennet. I too had to watch my BBC DVD again to feel wholesome and pure again!

30. Lucia says:

I am also big fan of Jane Austin, and I love BBC’s version of Pride and Prejudice, mostly because of Colin Firth.Å, he’s sexy…but I am also looking forward to the new version.

31. Flavia says:

No conosco la versión BBC pero leí el libro y luego vi la película, en realidad, me encantó, no solo las actuaciones y repartos sino también, el sonido, diseño, producción, fotografia, vestuario, paisaje, etc.
    Será porque no he visto la otra versión antes?
    No será que los demás por a ver visto otra versión de BBC ya no les gustó esta nueva?
    Es realmente mala esta versión nueva? Para mi no lo es, aun que, me reservo comentarios hasta ver la que todos dicen ser la mejor…
    Hasta pronto.