This is what I’ve got for red for Saturday’s colorweek entry – a quilting project gone awry.
gah, even the photos are bad. (more here and here) I had plans to write the big long saga of this quilt but I’ve decided to cut my losses with the entire thing and I think that includes blogging time. How about the whole story in one big long run-on sentence? Make sure that when you think you’re clever and can get all Gee’s Bend with the ubiquitous red shirt section of the thrift store that one, you buy enough shirts because otherwise you’ll run out and end up with half the front pieced with red gingham sheet you’d picked up for the backing and two, you have a single big enough piece of batting so you’re not basting overlapping bits and pieces of batting so they don’t slide right out of your pillowcase binding and three, you don’t try to combat the ‘I wanted to make something beautiful out of thrift and all I did was make something that looks like it should be discarded at the thriftstore’ effect by attempting a very cool skinny stripe machine quilting because if you have a sloshy, ill made pillowcased quilt it will pucker and gather and end up a discarded ball of effort on your craft room floor. I am not discouraged though. Next time I’m at the thrift shop I’m going to hit the green shirt section and give it another shot!