easter in a box

Easter decorating is new to me. Every year I think this is the year I’ll really get on board. I eyeball the egg trees and plaster bunnies in outfits and can never quite pull the trigger. I’d love to do a whole vintage Easter Cody Foster, Jennifer Murphy Spring extravaganza but I haven’t started any collecting so this year is a bust. I did search in earnest for an Easter egg tree. I wanted something wooden and chunky and Danish and white. Maybe a candelabra? Couldn’t find anything. This weekend at Ikea I had my eyes peeled for something that might work and found the varmeljushallare.

I love this box so much I would have bought anything that came in this box. Luckily for me it was something that looked like eggs would fit in it.

Oscar and I dyed up some super bright blown out eggs to put in each of these candle holders. Didn’t really like how it looked though. Too much like big fat Christmas bulbs or something. Maybe just too much color. So I’m easing into Easter. I put together this little set up with our new favorite Playmobil bunny playsets, a branch from the backyard with some origami paper blossoms (blossoms idea from this month’s martha stewart) and some cut up thrifted placemat (more on this over at thriftcraft). Don’t worry Easter bunny — a few of the eggs are still hanging around.

27 thoughts on “easter in a box

1. Jane says:

Whew! thank God I can breathe again; a respite from the white-hot cuteness overload.
    Hmm, I love those paper blossoms. I am totally doing that.

2. Angela says:

Oh dear. This is so cute. I’ve been eyeing that playmobile set for awhile. I love what you did with the placemat and the blossoms are such a cheery touch. Hello spring!

3. vegasandvenice says:

While this is incredibly cute, I appreciate that you made an attempt of some sort (although a poor one *smile*) to give us all a little time to catch our breaths and let our heart strings relax (but not very much I see)! Sooo cute!

4. Kim says:

I SO love IKEA, though I’m not big on the holiday decorating other than Christmas. I would have liked to have seen the eggs, but the grass is cute too! I’m amazed how you keep coming up with ideas and ideas and ideas…

5. Edwina says:

Ok, Ok, now you have twisted my arm. I love your understated yet elegant cuteness (not sure if those two words usually go together) you have inspired me to find some bits and pieces and jump into Easter decor! Thanks!

6. mo says:

What a nice balance of easter happy and chic. I saw that bunny playmobil last week and just love it. I think the easter bunny will be bringing one for me-oh , I mean my daughter! Beautiful as usual!

7. roo says:

I haven’t seen the playmobit here. My little girl will LOVE this. I have to go and find it. AND the origami blossoms are such a good idea. I have to go fetch a branch from the garden now.

8. nancy says:

You beat me to it! I was going to try the MSL branch/paper blossom idea, oh well, I guess it doesn’t matter, since you don’t know me anyway!!
    Looks good and I like the “grass” in the candle holders.

9. Mama Urchin says:

I saw that Playmobil bunny set over the weekend and was trying to figure out how I could buy it and not share it with my three year-old. Super cute display – I love the flowers. I let my MSL subscription expire but I’ve seen so many great projects recently I might have to renew.

10. heather says:

it might not go with your fresh look/feel above, but just spray painting the eggs metallic gold is v simple and pretty, and makes them fun for a hunt (gold ones can be ‘worth’ more).

11. laurie says:

i love simple and you’ve done it very well. i can never get into easter decorating (it’s too “cutsie” rather than nice simple “cute”) but i think i could start to love your version. ♥

12. melissa says:

Okay. Let me just obsess over the trim a minute. So white and nice and perfectly painted… Gads, chair rails… so great.
    (oh. the egg cups are good too.)

13. Sandrine (alias Didine!) says:

I have the same !! I have the same !! And I also know something you don’t know yet about this tea-light holders !!! As I’m working in Ikea (Belgium) I learned that these light-holders are made in a factory that also makes porcelain fuses !! Don’t laugh, it’s true !! Ikea asked them years ago if they wanted to add a product to their production to make more money !! And do you want to learn another thing about Ikea ?? These famous armchairs called Poäng are made by a factory that also makes ski !!! By the way I adore your decoration ! Have a very nice day ! Smooches

14. Bettina says:

I am lost at Martha’s website, I simply cannot find the page where these wonderful blossoms and this great idea is shown – can anybody guide me in the right direction?
    Have a great day,
    Bettina from Denmark

15. maia says:

hi hillary–very nice display! love the paper blossoms; the playmobil bunnies are a great collection! the kids’ stuff that can double as decor is a sure plus! we’re liking the haba seasonal/ easter games as our default decor!

16. joanne S says:

Thank you for the paper flower idea. I’m doing it for the library–too cute.
    In europe I used to just get a branch from outside. and you could spray it white and hang some bunnies and eggs. Pastels might be good? I even drew designs of graphic florals in black ink on brown eggs and put them in a black painted basket with brown paper “straw” for a raffle. Very popular.

17. Joy says:

oh, that is wonderful! i have that same set from ikea of votive holders and i have never used them. thanks for the inspiration and reminding me i can do something else with them!

18. Hannah says:

I love your elegant easter blossom tree. I like to decorate the house for spring, we already have 2 easter trees and now I want a blossom one too! do you think 3 would be too many??? – I have even just ordered some origami paper yesterday too.
    Oh, I am de-lurking too, I love your blog and have been reading for well over a year, Yours was the first blog I ever saw. Thanks for all your inspiration