knots

This title could go either way for me. This week my stomach has been in knots over all of my in-progress projects that I just can’t seem to finish. I get very anxious when I can’t cross things off my list. I’m not a very zen, in the moment type of gal…much to my and everyone around me’s dismay.

but I’m going to go the other way with this title…

Tying knots is one of my in-progress projects. I’m very excited about this idea I had for a friend’s baby quilt. I came up with the idea after flipping through a few books on one of my favorite artists, Grant Wood. Besides satisfying my new round tree fetish I was also excited about an idea to tie the quilt off instead of regular quilting. I had envisioned all sorts of different textures made up of knots and x’s and dashes with different weights of floss and yarn and string and in different colors. Something that would evoke the same feeling as the different fields in this painting. I started working on a little test quilt last night and I’m less than impressed with how it’s turning out. The texture I was envisioning was so much more dramatic. I need to hunt down some precedents for this type of quilt. I’m sure someone has realized this idea wonderfully somewhere. Maybe I’ll hunt through Kim’s quilting resources for some ideas. I’m really feeling baby quilts right now. Here’s another one I’m working on. Must be the new felt wall. Or… have I mentioned my sister is having a baby?! We’re all very excited around here! Soon we find out if it’s a boy or girl. I’ve got stacks of fabric lined up for either outcome.

13 thoughts on “knots

1. ellia hill says:

i look forward to seeing your finished projects too!! your fabric is just soooo beautiful!!! green is my favorite color and that top one is just gorgeous!! best wishes on your projects!!

2. melissa says:

I’m loving that middle fabric. Very very sweet. My sister is expecting too, and we won’t find out the gender until it comes out– so I’m waiting at the ready with boy/girl piles and pattern ideas!

3. manda says:

Oh wow! I LOVE the tree quilt! I can’t wait to see the finished piece. It really is beautiful.
    I find working on baby quilts liberating. I love the fact that the size and the recipient allows for bolder more graphic images than a full size quilt. I’m much more prepared to take risks with a baby quilt.
    (thanks for your lovely comments about Bella’s quilt!).

4. Sara says:

What sweet quilts! Congratulations on the new baby. Your interest in textural quilting and especailly the link to the landscape suddenly reminded me of a sister duo here in my hometown who do amazing fiber art seeb here – http://www.lubbesmeyerstudio.com/ – while not exactly what you were talking about, they make amazing texture and motion just through layering. It seems like something you might be interested in seeing.

5. autum says:

I wonder if you combined some quilting with the tying if it would have more texture? Just a thought. I love those fabrics. I can’t wait to see the finished quilt.

6. Laural says:

Sounds like an interesting vision you have, I’m excited to see how you realize it! I can understand what you mean completely about getting stressed out about your project list, I often work myself into a funk about ‘getting things done’ and then I have to take a step back and realize that crafting is supposed to be fun and a break from stress, not increasing it!

7. Sasha says:
  8. mary says:

I love the idea for the quilt. Maybe you could knit some bobbles and tie them onto the quilt for the pattern in the back center of the painting.