yeah? ok!

I’ve decided to go ahead and make up a pattern book of my original stuffed toy & doll designs. I’ve always been hesitant to take this on because it means so much work. But sometimes big ambitious projects are the best things to keep you going. And besides it will be fun work! This will give me the chance to work on some new designs that have been floating around in my head as well as make new versions of some of my old favorites. And I get very excited dreaming about all the fun new photo shoots! I was thinking it’d be super cool to print up a set of cards for sale from the toys in the book. Delusions of grandeur? maybe* I’m hoping saying it aloud here will keep me on task. I can post about my progress and exhibit the new toys as they emerge and maybe piss and moan a little. That’s what this blog has always been about – self motivation. Now I just need to decide which patterns to include.

*This week was Oscar’s first week at this magical thing called
‘playschool’. You drop off your kid in this room full of every toy
imaginable with warm friendly teachers and a pile of cute kids and then
you leave. go home. all by yourself. and then you pick them up an hour
and a half later. we’re doing this twice a week so it’s really (with
travel time) only an extra 2 hours of Oscar-free time a week but man, I
can get a lot done in an hour!

95 thoughts on “yeah? ok!

1. j. says:

your website is one of my daily stops, and i haven’t chimed in before, but i want to say that i am very excited about the idea of a book of your patterns! i’m sure it is daunting & a bit scary, but you are profoundly talented and inspiring, and i think you should be so proud of yourself for even entertaining the possibility. looking into my crystal ball, i see this project being a major success. at least you can count on me to buy a couple copies!

2. Siri says:

What to include? ALL OF THE ABOVE! But if you have to narrow it down: the cats, the new bunny, the robots and the bears, and of course, the wee wonderfuls.
    Can’t wait! Thanks for even considering doing this project, and sharing this with us. I’m sure that it will pay off in the end!

3. Jeni says:

The book idea is fantastic. It’s the first craft things I’ve been excited about all year! I know it will be a lot of work, but I do believe it will be worth it.
    My 2 two-year-olds go to preschool 2 days a week for 3 hours. It’s absolutely magical. I love my kiddos (as I know you love Oscar), but those hours are precious to me!

4. carmen says:

all of your creations are great in my opinion but if i have to choose i will vote for the robots and your new sweet faced bunny doll.

5. lindy says:

I’m so excited for the pattern book! Hooray!
    And I want to marry my son’s new playschool and have its baby. But only if that baby could attend playschool free of charge.

6. stephanie says:

hillary! this is so exciting. i would really like a pattern for patchwork robot and your little girls with the dress body.
    good luck and congratulations on your newly-found solo time. i bet it’s great for you both.

7. Kitty Jimjams says:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Can I put my name down for one now, please? The bears, and the kitties, and the bunny, and the dolls… oh and the robot… ack, you could do all or any of them and it would totally fly out of stock anyway!

8. molly says:

Do it! do it! I would love a book of patterns. sign me up. All your things are so cute, I could never decide though…
    I also wanted to tell you that I just started a little mini-swap (one for our children to partcipate in.) I thought you might be interested? Details are on my blog today…

9. Julia says:

yay!! I’m so excited! Thanks, Hilary. And I think cards printed of your softies is not a delusion of grandeur, they will sell great! I always wanted to sew a version of your hot pink cat…I forget her name. This will be quite a resource.

10. michelle says:

please include everything, I love especially the robot on the top row. I cannot wait! What a great idea, a lot of us would love love love some patterns to spread the cute. Of course I know I couldn’t ever obtain the level of cuteness you achieve! Thank you!

11. Bettsi says:

Woohoo! I’ve been hoping you’d share the secrets of point kitty for a long time! Put me on the pre-order list right NOW! Between you and Tim, this is going to be one amazing book!

12. hannah says:

oh my! way to go hillary! of course we want you to use this blog to piss and moan!! how else do you think we can handle the cuteness??? im for any pattern you want to include, as long as there is a chapter devoted to doll shoes, hair and accessories!

13. tanya says:

I vote any and all of them! I have been hoarding fabric for years, waiting for the perfect project to use it up on (I know I am not alone in this). So, if you do the book I can empty out my cloests, under the bed, the laundry room cabinets, the attic….seriously, you would be bestowing a great blessing on us mere crafting mortals!

14. amy k. says:

um-yeah, all of them would be my vote too-but the bunny you just did FOR SURE, the robots, and what about that little basket you just posted? I love the dolls of course-are you going to do 12? 8? more? and the card idea-perfect!!! oh, big projects are THE BEST!!

15. Peggy-Sue says:

A pattern book? Oh yes, please!!! For those of us who aren’t as creative, but yearn to make neat-o stuff like yours, a pattern book would be perfect! I was thrilled when Jess Hutch put out her booklet of knit toy patterns – now my life will be complete! I’ve been dying to make a felt robot for my robot-obsessed boys – and hopefully now I’ll be able to. Yay!!

16. Emily says:

Oh how exciting! I have to say I thoroughly love checking your blog almost daily for inspiration. My two cents: I enjoy the robots and the quilt girls, but everything you make is brilliant! I will definitely buy a book!

17. susaninfrance says:

Super-can’t wait to buy it!! I’m the proud adopted mother of Inez!! She is doing so well, stays up late teaching me how to knit every night now!
    Pattern book, super idea, I know it will work. Please include these: Judy and Fabian, my favs besides Inez of course.
    What about cards with some pattern stuff on the backside, project cards??

18. krista says:

Dibs on 5 copies!!! My dream come true. Seriously.
    You are a daily read and inspiration for this gal, even if I never get much done. I’m finally going to try your Wee tutorial this evening, if the young’uns cooperate!

19. June says:

I’m so excited that you’re going to have a book. Maybe you can do them in volumes (arranged by themes) so you can include them all!
    Let me know when your book comes out. I’m ready to click “Buy it now!”

20. Catherine says:

Oh gosh what a GREAT idea! I’d buy a copy in a snap!
    I would say, one generic doll pattern and then photos of your variations… your cat, your bunny, maybe a robot (again one pattern & photos of variations?) etc ^_^

21. ivy says:

I’ll buy one! What should you include? All of them! If you can’t do all of them, please do include your sweet little kitties in dresses. Those kitties of yours are what got me interested in craft blogs.

22. Melissa says:

Hot diggity dog and whop,whop I am so stoked. Sign me up I am soooooo excited. Congrats!!! If you are making a waiting list put me on it. If we get a vote I would say all, but I really like the new bunny, Oscar’s bunny, Judy, Lilian and marjorie oh, and any robot. Oh should a girl dream. HEAVEN.

23. jessica says:

as if you don’t already have enough comments . . . i wanted to say i hope you include a pattern for the big foot bunny. that one is my favorite. this is a good idea.

24. amber says:

Uhhh… remember that you’re HUGE on this ol’ webby crafty action, and you could probably get someone else to publish it. I mean, I dig the self-published action, too, but just don’t limit your options, eh?
    Also, I’m voting for some old faves: the Perfectly Round Bear and Oscar’s Bunny. The PRB is really, really killer. Don’t pass him by prematurely.
    Thanks, and much excitement for a book of patterns!
    -Amber

25. Alisa says:

I’ll get the book. I’ve been waiting and waiting and waiting for a chance to try some of your patterns. Especially that last big footed bunny. Plus the robots. Plus that cute little polar bear ornament. That one is so so sweet.

26. PJ says:

You asked which patterns to include? I say ALL!
    I am in the process of making my very own Wee One..I will post on my blog when I’m done.
    How fun- for Oscar and you…..treasure it – it goes way too fast!! My daughter will be starting high school next year and I swear..wasn’t I just crying on the first day of Kindergarten? She named my Wee this morning, but I’ll share that later 😉

27. sarah n. says:

yay!! my vote is for bunny + basket (all bunnies need a basket, no?) and cute little buttercup + sunshine for sure! though dagmar has always been a favorite, too. and MR. SQUIRREL!! where is that fella?

28. Amy B says:

Definitely include the dolls!! Really, I don’t think you can go wrong with whatever to decide to put in. The scottie dog from a tweed skirt wasn’t original by any chance, was it? Do you have an original version of it you could include?

29. Eve says:

Where do I preorder?!! I can’t believe this news, we are all very lucky.
    I second Oscar’s monster tuffet. I love everything you do, though.

30. JoAnn says:

Okay, Hillary. I’m getting in line for your pattern book;sign me up. Certainly Wee Wonderfuls’ patterns in my house will bring with them enough karma so that I actually start sewing again.

31. JoAnn says:

32. Cinnamon says:

I recommend using http://www.lulupress.com to do the books on demand printing instead of Cafe Press. The cover quality is amazing, the paper is nice, the binding is top notch and you end up getting more money than if you’d used Cafe Press.
    If you have any questions about them, let me know and I’d be happy to help you through the process. Since book production work is my day job, feel free to use me as a resource if you need it. But good luck. This is a highly adventurous project and I wish you the best.

33. Sara L. says:

I agree, all would be fantastic. If I were to pick favorites, I’d have to go with big footed bunny and the patchwork dolls. Again, this favorite-picking is under extreme duress.
    Congrats on your decision! I love your site, and the idea of a book of your patterns makes me all giggly.

34. shelly says:

hi there! new-ish crafter here, long-time reader. just wanted to say that i think this pattern book is a fabulous idea (and also to congratulate you on child-free time!)

35. tallgrrl says:

Yay for playschool.
    But here’s a word of advice: AIRBORNE.
    Get some for your kidlet. And get some for yourself.
    And your robots are great! They make me want to learn how to sew!!!
    : )

36. robiewankenobie says:

thank heavens. i especially adored that bunny you did for oscar waaaaaaaaay back. i can’t seem to find the link…he was wearing pajamas. you posted it sometime last year…
    not that you asked, but these are my favorites:

37. Carol says:

I forgot to add my vote.
    My favorites are the old school bunny in the pajamas, the kitties in dresses, the robots, and all of the dolls (I can’t pick a favorite between them).
    I’m so pleased to see you posted your first pattern!! YEAH!!

38. Carmen says:

I only stumbled across your website the other day and already the prospect of a pattern book coming out excites me no end! I’d buy one immediately, and then I’d probably buy another one to give away!
    I love all your little creatures, particularly the pointy kitty, and I’m making one tomorrow for my friend’s birthday!
    Good luck with everything!

39. Leah says:

How are you printing them? Do you do it yourself or do you have an online printer or something?
    I love the books though, you’re very talented and your creations are adorable.

40. Nancy says:

Thank you so much for the Pointy Kitty pattern. I loved it and took your advice and added my own touches. Would you have a Pointy Pooch to go with it? I am trying to work out a pattern for one if I get it I will send it to you. Great fun to work with and it will make a great gift.
    Nancy