our new dollhouse

We picked up this dollhouse and all the contents at a rummage sale for 9
bones. Now I need to figure out what to do with it. Oscar likes it ok. He’ll plop down in front of it and jam all the furniture into one room or drive a car
through the windows and doors but I don’t know if his lukewarm interest
warrants keeping it out for him. I think maybe instead I should refurnish
to my liking and build a little shelf for it in my room. It came with
quite a hodgepodge of stuff. I don’t think any of it is original to the
house. Did anybody have this dollhouse as a kid? Any ideas how to
proceed? It’s by Lundby of Sweden and a quick ebay search makes me
think 1970s decor is in order.

it came with a lot of this plastic molded 40s/50s furniture. more here.

and some fisher price furniture

and quite a bit of lawn furniture. I put this chaise in my craft room for relaxing.

and these are the only 2 people it came with… giant 50s newpaper holding? man and teeny tiny bowl holding peasant woman.

39 thoughts on “our new dollhouse

1. Jen Leheny says:

wow you got such a bargain! I love the sewing machine. We bought a dollhouse kit thing and painted it up for Emma’s Christmas present and she just loves it! We used scrapbooking paper to wallpaper the walls and gave it a “wood” floor. It even has a Mona Lisa painting in it! Have fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. AmericnJewl says:

I’ve always wanted a doll house…after I finish grad school (today) that will be a goal to build my dream house….

3. amanda8 says:

So fun! I have a dollhouse, still at my Mom’s. I look so forward to the day when my daughter can play with it rather than destroy it. That one is very cool. I remember some of that furniture from one that used to be in our church when I was a child.

4. ZippyW says:

Oh wow, that brings back memories! My uncle made us a dollhouse for Christmas one year and we had some of the exact same furniture in it. Especially loving the mustard yellow kitchen set. ๐Ÿ˜€

5. hannah says:

that is so awesome! redecorate, redecorate!!! i can see it now, it will be fabulous. im thinking though that the chaise should definitely stay in the craft room though. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Erica says:

Oooooh!!! I had that very dollhouse when I was a kid. Yours is prettier, though — mine had very 70’s colors — there was a lot of brown and reddish brown and harvest gold, but I loved it so much. Lucky girl, you!

7. bree says:

I had that too when I was a kid, it is still in my mom’s basement! The part I remember the best is that it had real plug in lights and one of them was a chandelier! I think I had furniture for every room, but I don’t know where that all disappeared to. It was all really 70ies, and it had people to go with it, but I don’t really remember what they looked like. They weren’t plastic, and they had real clothes that I think you could change. Anyways, I hope you can find some of the furniture that goes with it – especially the chandelier!

8. maryse says:

i remember that house when i was a teenager and we had moved to france. i really wanted one, but i knew i was too old (i’m not too old now ;))
    anyway — i remember you could purchase all sorts of furniture and lamps and stuff for it.
    that plastic living room furniture was from those metal doll houses from the 50-60’s.

9. Anna-Maria says:

Hi there
    I have *blush* 5 Lundby houses ranging in date from 1947 to 1980. This is late 70s or early 80s because the front trim is white, not brown.
    If you want to be a purist when decorating check out the “Old catalogues” tab at http://hem.passagen.se/dollshouse/ otherwise there is usually a lot of Lundby stuff on eBay (including a replacement kitchen window now and again)
    Happy to answer any questions you have.
    ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Wendy says:

I have the same exact one from my childhood. Someone else already posted this, but I was also going to suggest that you check ebay for the lighting power pack and lamps that go with it. Also, I have an “addition”. It’s another floor that actually adds onto the bottom of the one you have. It had a large basement or family room and a garage. Have fun fixing it up to your heart’s content!

11. Jen Lindsay says:

Yes, I had that dollhouse too, with the lights. It was fabulous when I was 8, but now I think it would be much cooler to have it redecorated in your very own style.

12. Kitty Jimjams says:

I love, *love* the blue recliner in the top left of the first picture!
    What a find, you lucky soul – definitely keep it and redecorate. I imagine it sitting on a quiet shelf, a perfect uncluttered space where you get your own way all the time, and you can escape into it in your daydreams.

13. pip says:

Oh, I crave to come across one of these, perfect and quaint, at a garage sale one of these years. It never seems to happen. I don’t know why I have the desire to have one of these for myself…the toy I never had? My father bought me one to build together when I was 7, but then my parents divorced and it sat untouched in the garage.
    Too much information.
    Congrats on the find!

14. Bettsi says:

I am picturing you recreating all the projects from Todd Oldham’s Handmade Modern into miniature scale! With a few wooden dolls and maybe a little cornhusk doll? Whatever you do with it, I look forward to seeing it!

15. barbara says:

i’m from switzerland and i had one exactly like this when i was a little girl in the late seventies :)however, i dont know if it is a lundby or another make, but if so it is an identical copy. i think it may actually still be in my parents’ loft somewhere with all my old toys. my mother once mentioned that at the time it was quite pricey and i do recall being extremely chuffed to own such a doll house. i remember the wallpaper in the different rooms was very psychedelic and the predominant colours were brown, mustard and orange… the furniture didn’t last though… it was rather flimsy.
    i also wonder what my 2 and a half year old son would make of it, maybe i will go and dig it out, if it survived me and my two siblings it would probably survive one more set of little hands – and their cars!

16. ~mary~ says:

I definitely know that most of the hard plastic furniture is by MARX. I have the Marx metal house and those exact furnishings. I have always loved that little corner piece bookshelf and the radio. Redecorating the house would be alot of fun! I’m sure you would do a bang-up job!

17. andi says:

I had one of these too as a child. I got it when I was about 4 and was still living in Germany and we brought it with us to Australia. It had plug in lights and the bathroom was a single unit that you could just slip into the room. The toilet was my favourite (I’m nuts, I know). The people were rubber with wire inside. It was a great dollhouse!

18. Claire says:

Your description of the dolls made me laugh out loud (giant 50s newpaper holding? man and teeny tiny bowl holding peasant woman–hilarious). It’s funny and charming to think how this hodge-podge of things got put together over time.
    And you also took me back to my own fisher price doll house. I’m suddenly remembering plastic beds with pieces of sponge as mattresses. Gosh I loved that house.

19. melissaS says:

Note to self: 2006 is the year of yard sale-ing. I love this dollhouse.
    And Claire yes….I had the blue cape cod with yellow roof. I really wanted the A-Frame one.

20. Hanna says:

I had a Lundeby when I was a girl, of course, with lots of bought and home made furniture, like a little drawer made out of matchbboxes, home made carpets and so on!
    You can check out the swedish auction site for pictures of what you can get and how it could look, lots of inspiration.
    Here are some other sites I found when searching for dockskp (dollhouse in swedish):
    ๐Ÿ™‚
    good luck, wish I had the time to make a doll house, they are so fun to play with! I’m looking forward to follow you decorating it!

21. Marg says:

My dollhouse is currently in my parents’ basement. My nephews loved to play with it when they were little. Somehow they managed to get ahold of a little bunch of dolls from Ecuador I must have had stored with the dollhouse furniture. They’ve officially moved in and made the place home. Some day, I’m going to restore it beyond it’s former glory.

22. Outi says:

That’s same era dollhouse as i had as a kid, the wallpapers and floors are exactly the same, so it must be from around mid -80’s. Although I don’t have a clue how often Lundby changes the decoration, so it could be early -80’s as well.. After being stored in my parent’s attick for years (and years and years…), I took my dollhouse down a few years ago in order to clean it, repair it (a humid attick is NOT a good place to store cardboard-dollhouses! ;)) and re-decorate it. It still waits for it’s re-decoration, all clean and torn to pieces. Oh well, maybe some day I’ll get back to my Lundby… ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh and here in Finland (where I live) those lighting packs are shamelessly expensive, I hope you’ll make another bargain! Have fun with your Lundby :)!

23. molly says:

I love that dollhouse! and what an amazing find.
    I think I remember your peasant girl–isn’t she supposed to be feeding chickens from her bucket? are there chickens at her feet? Maybe they were a separate piece….

24. Anne says:

I had this dollhouse as a kid, too. I really obsessed over it for a while, and would pore over the Lundby catalog and circle everything I wanted for the house. The working lights totally killed me.
    My mom loved the dollhouse just as much as I did, if not more. One year, we wallpapered the living room. Another year, she made a little Christmas tree for the house out of Tinkertoys (the base and trunk) and some fat, green pipecleaners (the branches), and then she decorated the tree with garland made of thread and little tiny foil circles. Sigh. Now I really want to dig it all out and set it up again…

25. Annie says:

My favorite toy as a kid was my dolls house. I made it out of a cardboard box (How Little House on the Prairie!), but I had real furniture. I made food like fruit cakes (cube of modeling clay dotted with black marker)and milk (water with some white paint mixed in, in a toothpaste cap).
    I also had an unevenly matched couple at the helm of the family. My brother’s Lone Ranger doll, who was twice the size of my little Pippa doll (this was Ireland; I don’t know if you had Pippa here.) They did love each other so though. She loved it when he wore his white cowboy hat and sat on the couch so his feet touched the opposite wall.
    I also had a little girl with red hair who was disabled; I had to scotch tape her legs together, and an infant doll who I would make the teeniest clothes for.

26. sarah says:

that last picture is hysterical. It looks as if there’s been a terrible scuffle and the man is blaming it all on the little woman! LOL
    I definately remember having the fisher price people with those chairs and the table!

27. Andree says:

Hi
    I want to sell my complete 1970’s lundby doll’s house, but I have no idea how much it is worth. It only has very minor damage. I have photo’s I could email you. Can anyone help please?

28. Patricia says:

This dollhouse is from the 1980’s, because the white frame is plastic as is the stair railing—also the wallpaper distinguishes it. Another post said it was an early 70’s, but that is not true: the white-framed ones from the 1960’s and early 1970’s were all made of wood, not plastic, and the stair railing, doors, etc. were all wood. When Lundby started making them with plastic framework, it was brown plastic—later they changed to white plastic like your house. I have all the known Lundby catalogs and I have more than 20 different houses, and it has been fun to see the developement of interior decoration and furniture which actually matches the development of Swedish interior design. Many of the pieces from the 80’s right through 2004 were/are sold in “real-people” sizes by IKEA—-lots of fun!

29. Renee says:

Hi! It just so happens that I deal in Lundby and can tell you a little about it. You bought a “vintage” Gothenburg home, one of the first homes Lundby produced back in the late 1960’s, of course all of the furnishings and light fixtures that go with it are also “vintage” which means 1960’s- to 1979, after that Lundby changed hands and started to produce in Mexico and the quality took a nose dive. The company has been restarted now and there is really “new” stuff available but it does not work in “vintage” homes, it is a little smaller in scale, and the light fixtures are 5 volt, not 4 volt like the vintage. The quality also leaves a lot to be desired! I can furnish your entire house in vintage Lundby if you like! We have a SUPER layed back policy with our business, buy one unit, or a hundred, we treat you the same, so you could furnish each room separately in dribs and drabs, nice reasonable prices too. If you email me directly at rganim@aol.com I can send you a photo of a room as an example. Lundby lights up, part of the fun, but the 4 volt vintage transformers are super hard to come by and you need a dealer like me to get one for under a $80.00, a new 5 volt transformer would burn out all your light fixtures. But enough “sales talk,” I am really not much of a salesperson… I really hope you like your new toy and if you want some help just email!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Renee

30. Renee says:

Hi again! OOps! I see our Lundby expert Patricia posted ahead of me, if she says it is late ’70’s early ’80’s, it is, but fortunately that is still ahead of the Mexico production, so it is still the vintage scale and voltage, so no problem!! ๐Ÿ™‚

31. Colleen says:

This is an old post i know but, that tiny bowl holding woman is actually a chicken feeder, she orginally came with a farm.