covers for Grandma

don’t do it mom…

ok, I scrapped my initial, more ambitious, quilt plan for my mom, went instead with something from this book.
I used fabrics I had on hand, except for the border and backing. I
think it turned out ok although I broke every quilting rule in the book
and suffered the consequences. and like every other project I take on, I ran
into a bucket full of problems but I was in the zone man, I was putting out
fires left and right. cutting out rows because the backing was too
small, deftly finishing quilting while I had an inch of thread left on
the spool, etc. of course, I wasn’t very ninja when I used 3 dark red prints
and didn’t prewash. but I’m happy with how it turned out. I like how it looks like a really old banged up
quilt. I used a lot of vintage fabrics and the new ones I used really
got on board with the worn out look after the third time through the
washer to get the running reds out.

sorry for the crappy pictures…

of course, this
is all she really wants for Christmas!

31 thoughts on “covers for Grandma

1. Amanda8 says:

great job! I love the look of older quilts, and that really fits the bill. She will love it. (And by the way, I know what you mean about grandma’s and Christmas – I just come along with the kids these days!)

2. Kim says:

I love it! You even broke the “don’t use more than x% yellow rule” (can’t remember what percent) — I would never think of putting yellow in there but it looks really great. I just love the color combo altogether.

3. roo says:

Oooh, I love how (in the third picture, particularly) you varied and flared the widths of the rows. Elegant and comfy is a hard combo to achieve. Nice!

4. Blair says:

I really love this quilt. You pulled it off brilliantly. The colors flow and the fabrics are perfect together. Its my favorite out of “the book”. Now, in all honesty, how long did it take you to make this quilt? I’m seriously considering making some type of quilt for Emma’s school auction and I’m feeling a little worried I won’t get it done. How much caffeine (or alcohol) is really involved to become a quilting ninja?

5. amy k. says:

oh-this is sooo good! it would be so hard for me to give this one away, even to my mom! (I am bad.) really stunning, and I’m sure the red dye only adds to it’s vintage charm. . .hoorya for accidental distressing.

6. Mom says:

I was good and I didn’t peak and boy did it pay off! The most beautiful quilt ever from my super talented crafty daughter…can’t thank you enough! And Oscar too…what can I say!

7. Marilyn says:

The quilt Birthday Coin and the one for your Mom are beautiful, (all the quilts are). I would like to know if they are your own designs ? or are they from a book? I am a new quilter and with that said I think that I must by every little scrap of rement and therefore I now have lots of different sizes and not any big enough to do alot with. I would love to make a quilt like these. Thank you Marilyn

8. Marilyn says: