The Patchwork Set

Given the kind of girl I am, it’s no surprise that I’ve been wanting for a long time to do a modern update on the Holly Hobbie doll. When this last package of wonderfulness came from Jen in Japan I was so inspired I jumped right in (abandoning the group of dolls I was working on) and gave it a go.

Here’s the first member of The Patchwork Set. Her name is Henny.

I’ve got 4 dolls planned, each with her own patchworked quilt and pinafore. Tim and I are working on props and set-ups and if all goes well, hopefully, fingers crossed, there will be Patchwork Set cards for sale before the holidays.

Here are some closer shots of Henny. Her top is the gorgeous pear fabric Jen sent, the skirt some Kaffe Fassett stripes that matched perfectly and her pinafore is made of muslin, the embroidered kitty ribbon Jen sent, patches of Japanese & quilt shop fabric and one of the wooden kitty buttons close it up in back. (the other 2 kitty buttons tie up her ponytails)

For the quilt, like the pinafore, I tried for a modern, clean interpretation of a traditional patchwork pattern. I’m pretty happy with how this one turned out, especially the zigzag quilting. I think I may need to make a larger version of this for myself. Anyone know how well muslin would weather multiple washings?

Here’s the backing of the quilt, a fabric renmant I bought from Repro Depot at the Renegade Craft Fair. Look how perfectly it matches! The fabric stars were definitely aligned for me on this one.

Now to start working on a color scheme for the next one…

55 thoughts on “The Patchwork Set

1. sunni says:

hillary that is amazing! beautiful and as always the details are just beyond belief! i can’t wait to see the others and what props you and tim come up with!!

2. claire says:

You have outdone yourself Hillary. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of the girls from the Patchwork Set (brillian idea!) and the card set.
    xx

3. Marie LaStrange says:

she is gorgeous! reminds me of the dollies my mom used to make for me as a child. i am so eager to get a transformer for my sewing machine, so I can start sewing again. i really really miss it. 🙂

4. amy k. says:

holly crap! I LOVE this dolly and the whole concept! the matching quilt is perfect as is the name for the group and the cards- I can’t wait for more. (and her hair is perfect) I’m not surprised this came together so easily for you, it’s obviously what you are really supposed to be doing right now-fabric starts alligned indeed! (and i think muslin is fine for multiple washings)

5. megan says:

Soooo cute! Love that Henny looks so autumn-y, too! And how cool is it that all your great fabrics and ribbons go together in such a fun way? Thanks for showing us!

6. Jennifer says:

It is so gratifying to see what you dream up with the things I send. Just two weeks ago, I was looking at the wall of buttons in the fabric store, debating about which pack out of a dozen or so to get. And then you go and use them so creatively, like with Henny’s pigtail holders. Aren’t mini quilts SO much fun to make? And yes, it’s all about those pears. 🙂

7. Fiona says:

What a great idea, and so beautiful. My little girl would love (with a capital L) to play with something like that, but of course she’d have to fight me for it!

8. Lori says:

WOW! Your selection of colors is brilliant. Your style is amazing. Your workmanship is exquisite. And your idea for this is awesome. You are, of course, incredibly talented.

9. Stephanie says:

Just beautiful. As usual, I am taken with all the details – the way the fabrics work together, her lovely side part, the construction of her pinafore, her modern quilt, and, of course, the shoes. I love how you can create dolls that are nostalgic, but modern, not hokey or old-fashioned.

10. jen says:

i just have to say how in awe i am of the incredible SPEED at which you produce such quality, stylish stuff. i mean didn’t you just get those fabrics a few days ago – and then this!?? you are a craft jedi knight or something – tapped into the force!!! gotta get me some of that.

11. Laura says:

I’ve heard people say (and I say it too) that their yarn and fabric speak to them.
    Girl, you’re speakin’ their language. For you to put this together SO fast and SO great, it’s definitely your calling. Or the stars are in perpetual alignment for you. Maybe that’s just it. 🙂

12. kyrie says:

this is just incredible, from detail to detail. it’s the type of thing that makes me wish that i had your brain! and btw, i made a baby sling out of muslin and it holds up great through lots of washing.

13. JoAnn says:

Hillary, you’re just too good and soo fast. I’m with Jen…a Craft Jedi Knight. It’s gotta be magic. There’s no other explanation!

14. filambulle says:

Wow you are a queen!
    Does some nice crafty doll queen (like you?) would like to teach me how to do such nice hair to dolls? (The hair of my doll-in-progress are OK, but it has taken me more than two (three?) evenings)
    I like the patchwork idea and realisation. I confess I will probably steal it soon! Bravo Hillary

15. carrie m says:

oh i love, love, love it. i was such a big holly hobbie fan — i actually just bought an old carrie hobbie doll off ebay. patchwork is so calming, isn’t it?

16. Blair says:

She is absolutely the cuteness doll I’ve ever seen…and being a girly girl myself in my younger days (and now, I guess) I’ve seen plenty. Will you write a tutorial on exactly how you find the time to do all these wonderful things…so quickly?!? I need tips for time mgmt and speed over here! I’m in awe. You have amazing talents.

17. hillary says:

yay! thanks everyone for the great comments! I’m so excited about these new dolls. Blair to answer your question, excitement! that’s my time management tip. I spent a lot of late nights working on this last week because I was so eager to see how it would turn out. maybe the force was with me 😉

18. Sally says:

Hi Hilary – I’m a ‘lurker’ (sounds so sinister!)
    Loving your work – you are very clever.
    How did you mark out the zig zag quilting lines? They are perfect!

19. Laurie says:

Wow that is amazing! I love the work you do and have been lurking here for a while just watching your projects. I wish I was as crafty as you. Amazing amazing! Had to let you know.

20. kelly says:

Wow! Can’t say I was ever much of a Holly Hobbie girl myself (too much of a tomboy!), but your interpretation could certainly change that! Love your ever-present detailing and the addition of the quilt – so fun!

21. Holly says:

Wow… I love the things I’ve seen on this site. I love them so much so that I feel like who ever is running it is not from the us. We don’t have things this cute here. Maybe in NY, i dunno. (: Anyhow awesome stuff too bad their not for sale! Where are you guys from?
    Holly