stressy

When does everything go wrong craftwise? When you’re in a hurry of course. I’ve realized the time I have to get everything I want to get done before Christmas is evaporating quickly so I’m really trying to pick up the pace. What have I achieved? A huge glass of black iced tea spilled all over my work table drenching cut out quilt pieces, dolls parts, japanese fabric, sketches. After much bawling and Tim to the rescue I bounced back from that with little permanent damage done. Today I realized that I’ve sewn my latest doll together all wrong. The outfit I’d envisioned for her isn’t even physically possible. I’m going to have to unstuff her (I hate un- and re-stuffing more than anything!) and try to rebuild her. Oh and speaking of stuffing catastophes — went to the Hobby Lobby for my of my beloved Clusterfil and they don’t make it anymore! They’ve changed the make-up of it. Now it’s all bumpy clumpy. Good for "puffin-stuff dolls" or some such thing. I’m devastated. When I get anxious and stressed my mind gums up immediately. I’m totally stumped on all sorts of design issues, quilting pattern, color schemes, etc. And my mind is all flitty, jumping from one thing to the next before I can figure anything out. Christmas – kitchen floor – felting – bills – pumpkin carving. That’s what was going on in my head while I was standing in the middle of the living room with my camera thinking to myself what the hell am I going to post about today. I came up with this. I don’t think I ever took a pic of this very lucky thriftscore. A dark red shadow box, found a day after these little wooden ornaments had arrived from ebay. Now that is something going right!

22 thoughts on “stressy

1. jenn says:

sometimes it does seem that when one thing goes wrong so many others follow. but it sounds like you are on your way back to the “upside”. I feel the same about christmas things. I have about ten thousand half-finished things laying around right now and no idea where to pick up on any of them…

2. Jannah says:

I am really sorry to hear about all your mini disasters, I check your blog often and am always inspired by your sensitive and delightful creations. I deal with creative stress in my profession a lot, sometimes though this helps to spur on an innovative workaround. With your talent I am sure you you will bounce back from this with something wonderful 🙂

3. Sasha says:

Ok…take a deeeeep breath. Whew! That’s better. Don’t forget to take at least a half an hour a day to yourself or you’ll wind up hating the holidays. Take it one day at a time and I’m sure you’ll get what you need to get done done. I’m rootin’ for ya!
    Great blog btw.

4. JoAnn says:

Hillary, so sorry you’ve had such a dreadful time of it. But with Tim’s help sounds like things are getting back in the groove. And I’m sure Oscar keeps you anchored. How wonderful that you have these two men in your life!

5. debra says:

Ooooohhhhh, how I know those days! Right now we have a friend’s family of 5 living with us who were displaced from hurricane Rita. When you add our 4, the cats & the 2 dogs who who have adopted us, you have almost total chaos 24/7! Strangely, I have been able to get lots of projects done despite it. Maybe it is all that energy in such a confined space! Love all your work!

6. carolyn says:

Haven’t tried it, but have heard that wool tops (the stuff people use for needle felting) makes wonderful stuffing. Good luck with everything: your work is amazing, and even stessed and out-of-sorts you are way more productive than I’ll ever be!

7. Nichola says:

Don’t you just hate it when that happens? I was getting myself stressed out because i wasn’t getting everything i wanted sone before the baby arrives. I had to stand back and take a look at my list and sift out the most important things, everything else can wait.

8. amy k. says:

man! crapsville central! that so so lame. I hope you feel better soon. everything will come together and the things that don’t, well, then they can wait.
    maybe it’s time for anchorman again?

9. michelle says:

go to http://www.sistersanddaughters.com …they have a fantastic amount of doll making stuff and I have always had good luck there…I also agree that wool makes fantastic stuffing….and if all else fails…do what I have done in a late night stuffing emergency….unstuff one of your living room pillows….(since I do know…like me….you make those too)

10. kelly says:

Well, I can tell you that you’re not the only feeling the time crunch. Phew – so much to do and the days are flying by… Slow down a bit, and I bet you’ll find yourself even more productive!

11. lisa s says:

i feel your pain…. it’s exactly how i feel… too many things and no where to go!!
    knowing you – you will manage to all get it done and it will all be amazing!!
    keep breathing, right??

12. ~Vicki says:

I always start to worry when things are going a little too well because it usually means all hell’s about to break loose. I’m glad you found the “silver lining”…the shadow box and ornaments are delightful!

13. kath says:

ah, hope it all picks up soon. we just have those days sometimes when stress and anxiety get the better of us. take a deep breath, regroup and start again. good luck