my lackluster knitting and other business

Thanks for all the nice comments on Lotte! Some people were
asking me about plans for the dolls. I’m still planning on doing photo shoots with them for a pack of Patchwork
Set cards. That’s why I’m trying to get them done so fast. I’m hoping I
can finish up the last set this week and then start working on the accessories and hopefully we can start taking pictures this weekend. It’s the peak of Fall around here. I’d love to get some turning leaf action in the photos.

Last night though I had to take a break from the sewing room and veg in front of the tv so I turned to my knitting. I’ve been working on this sweater for Oscar for months and this is as far as I’ve gotten, about 2/3 way through the back.

Oscarssweater

I’m so not feeling this project. Itchy cheap wool and these damn cables around the waist. I’ll never get them to lay flat. I’ve never ever once had "blocking" work for me. I think it’s a myth. Like the unicorns. You know, the unicorns who wear nice flat-laying smooth handknit sweaters. Like the unicorns who must knit these beautiful things by Taule Design.

Tauledesign1

Tauledesign2

16 thoughts on “my lackluster knitting and other business

1. ani says:

ooo! i like those sweaters! and i am comforted by the thought the models are wearing birks. it makes me feel a bit more in style instead of a big, goofy oaf.
    it looks like you are knitting on itty bitty needles. nothing makes me run faster from a project that uses anything smaller than a 9! i’ve inherited the knitting needles my great grandmother used to use that were made out of bicycle spokes during WWII. how she knit with those, i’ll never know…
    btw, i love the series of dolls and quilts you’ve been doing. lovely!

2. sbrownrobie says:

i say frog the sucker. if it’s scratchy and you’re not fond of it now? you never will be fond of it. get theyself to knitpicks and procure something yummy…it’s never too late to start over!

3. Blair says:

I have 3/4 of a fair isle that is almost the same color brown that I never finished for Ian, probably just Oscar’s size. Maybe I should send it to you, if anybody could put two unfinished sweaters together to make something great, it’d be you.

4. lk says:

I vote for frogging! :> If you think it is scratchy, imagine what Oscar and his more sensitive baby skin will think. Frog it, tuck the yarn away for “future use” and choose something new to do….

5. carolyn says:

I’ve never had luck with steam blocking (waving my underpowered iron over the object, pressing the steam button furiously) but wet-blocking works for me. Basically, this is the same as washing the item: completely wet, rolled up in a series of dry towels, then laid out to dry in the proportions you’d like. But then again, I always think a bit of roll gives a handknit joie de vivre.

6. Susan says:

I agree with the poster above – try wet blocking. It works so much better (at least for me). Itchy wool is not fun to wear – scrub the sweater. I raise my hand for a felted bag or two for your dolls. OR – finish the sweater – but line it with a super soft fleece or microfiber – then he could wear it like a warm pull-over jacket.

7. Sara says:

Often a good wet block with (regular hair) conditioner will work to soften wool up so it’s wearable – you can try it with a swatch to see. If it doesn’t soften, I agree with the others – not likely a little one will be happy with a pullover that itches.

8. Cinnamon says:

Sara is right. I’ve seen yarn that looked more like twine turn into graceful, drapey, awesomeness with just a little conditioner and some warm water and a good soak (with an excellent rinse) of course. And if that doesn’t work, then I vote that you frog it and turn it into something that you can felt. It’s a great color, especially for this season.

9. Alison says:

I’m voting on wet blocking with a soft hair conditioner when you finish the back, and see how that goes. If you want to frog, you have a piece of substantial wool fabric to felt, without knitting the entire jumper. Sometimes cables flatten out themselves with wear and don’t need extensive blocking – they don’t NEED to sit flat. Otherwise – wet tea towel on the jumper and then iron over it and it will soften, fluff, and flatten.
    What’s the pattern, by the way?

10. Rose says:

Wow, I’ve never seen those sweaters before! I’m impressed. As for blocking, it does work – you just need an expensive board and scary Japanese special blocking pins (I think Japan must be the land where the unicorns live) – works for me anyway. All wool is scratchy to me (I’m allergic) so I can’t be much help there.

11. Julie says:

I’ve never once had success with blocking either. Of course… usually I’m using acrylic yarn and even wet blocking can’t make a dent in that stuff. Cotton either. I’m learning the rule though – if you want to end up with a nice product, you have to start with nice materials.
    The unicorn comments were cracking me up too. 😀

12. Robin West says:

Hi!
    We are interested in getting one of the Hillary Lang doggy purses for the t.v. Show “The O.C.” Can you let me know where Hillary sells them or how to order??
    Thanks