**updated bit at bottom**
This is the project that was a bee in my bonnet. The other night I was reading Corduroy to Oscar and Freeman's illustration of a quilt on the girl's bed caught my eye.
I love the "randomly tossed down squares" look of it and I thought that it'd be a cute quilt to make out of outgrown kids clothes. The old dress quilt. I have a disproportionately large selection of pinks in my fabric collection so these are what I started grabbing to give this design a go. I just cut out (freehand) large-ish squares and started sewing them down with a zigzag stitch. I have no idea how to quilt it or who the recipient will be and I'm not sure how successful the design is but I think I may like it a lot. Maybe it's all the dizzying pinks confusing me. I'll have to live with it for a while and see what kind of a relationship develops. For now it's on to more pressing matters, maybe a Halloween costume for Oscar?!
** thanks for the great input! the size is what I thought would be good for a kid's napping quilt, about 42" x 60". I'm definitely going to leave the border around the edges - not put squares all the way to the edge - that's my favorite part! I'm still undecided about covering up all the green underground bits that are peeking through. and still have no ideas on quilting. I like both suggestions - an overall stipling or 2 different patterns, one for patches and one for the green. I did nothing to finished the squares' edges. I'm hoping the zigzag and then the quilting is enough to keep them in place without too much fraying. Nope, no pocket for corduroy but the finished project may have a button sewn on just in case Corduoy needs one.