this same wavelength

I’m feeling the stamp vibe too. I love the look of it so much. So raw and simple. I’ve been wanting to try my hand at carving some stamps for forever but I’ve had no idea what to make. I just had the thought – maybe I could try carving the little icons I drew for the sidebar. (well Tim has just informed me these won’t work. something about good negative and postive space. back to the drawing board)

updated to add: I gave it a try last night and finally dug into the mastercarve block I’ve had laying around. very fun to use but still tricky!

15 thoughts on “this same wavelength

1. amy k. says:

yes-yes-yes!! the bunnies at the bottom are the best. all the images are. yes, carving stamps is one the boards FOR SURE. next week? well, must make small RED CAPE first. (halloween)
    wonderful images!!

2. suzy says:

They are gorgeous! Love the bunny and bird bags. And thank you so much to you and Amy for the cute-off – so many great pictures and ideas, it’s been making me smile all morning. Even here in the land of cute it’s good to have a top-up!

3. ivy says:

carving stamps is really pretty fun, it just takes a bit of getting used to the tools. Start with a good abstract design, the first one I did was a spaceship.
    I’ve found that lino blocks are much easier to carve than erasers or the carving rubber that they sell. Linoleum tools are helpful, but an exacto is really all you need.
    Your cute off is so fun! (and cute)

4. Lucy says:

I love those little images on your side bar! I dream of one day having a ‘proper’ website with cute custom-deisgned images lihe that!
    I think you could carve them out of lino if you simplified them a little. Otherwise you could get them made into rubber stamps… which isn’t actually as expensive as you’d think. I’m not sure in the US, but here I have had simple ones done for around AUS$20… And you can get much more detail that way… x

5. LK says:

I agree with Lucy (and disagree with Tim; don’t be offended.) Photo copy them and then take a pigma micron .07 or something teeny and ink over the main lines, trace this and photo copy. The cat, bunny, girl, and the basket bag would be fine just as they are (except they’d be easier to do a teeny bit bigger!). A Chartpack colorless blender works great for transferring or if you have tiny quilter’s iron, that’ll work. I handcarve the stamps I use to make images and texture in my jewelry and I carve blocks of vintage textile/wallpaper designs to use as background texture for my larger paper works. I use lino cutter tools, although Harbor freight sells a great set of micro carving tools that are wonderful. (I lost mine at an art gathering.) I’ve also had rubber stamps made of certain things and they have cost between $20 and $30, but they were large- 2.5 x 3″ or bigger.

6. michelle says:

me too! I have been carving stamps in polymer clay so when you stamp it make an “embossed” effect in clay, but I can also do it in reverse. It works quite well, I want to try the eraser method too, and lino tools. We will have a dedicated workshop in the new house and I have high hopes of much more productivity!