Plain Spoken – check!

I finally finished the Plain Spoken quilt I pieced together in February and I have Kim to thank. After seeing her stunning p.s. top for the Modern Quilt-Along I actually turned around and took another look at the quilt that has been hanging over the back of my sewing table chair for 8 months. I just love the bright rich colors Kim used for hers and was wishing I’d gone brighter on mine. Oh, yeah I did. I remember now — I love these colors! Funny thing is I’ve been working on a quilt design to use some of my folky prints and the solid colors I wanted to use were a mustard yellow and a dark dark blue/gray. Oh yeah, those colors are right here. You know when you crave certain foods because your body isn’t getting enough of a certain vitamin or something. That’s what this was like. I never got my mustard/gray fix and was planning new projects to sate that craving. Now I’m all set and can put that other project on the backburner and start working on my quilt for the Modern Quilt-Along, "Book Club".

The quilting came out ok. Nowhere near as beautiful as the tiny little perfect waves I saw on this same quilt pattern at the FunQuilts studio when I took my class, but ok. It’s so difficult to quilt a big project on a home sewing machine that I’m always happy that it turned out at all. This pattern was funny because as I was yanking and pulling the quilt from side to side trying to make those turns I could feel myself making this crazy face — leaning my head to the side and grinding my top teeth back and forth over my bottom teeth. Too bad I couldn’t set up the camera to capture that for SPT!

So I had one little snafu (of course). When you leave a project for 8 months you kind of forget where you left off. I remembered I’d bought thread for the quilting, but I didn’t remember I’d bought 2 different grays. So of course, half the quilt is quilted in dark gray, the other half in light. Sweet!

60 thoughts on “Plain Spoken – check!

1. Anne says:

Hillary that quilt is just BEAUTIFUL!!…Yummy scrummy colours….I can’t stop scrolling back and looking at it!
    I know what you mean about getting a fix on certain colours :o)
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Anne.

2. suzy says:

I just love how the quilting works with the rectangles! And the colours are perfect, cheerful but not glary. You’ve got me itching to make a quilt now…

3. Jill says:

Wow. I’ve been wondering how that was turning out because I’ve been wanting to make the same thing. How many different colors, and how much yardage of each did you use?
    So beautiful!

4. Marg says:

Sigh…. it’s soooooo lovely! So what if you used 2 different shades of grey? If anyone says anything tell them it’s a “sunshine and shadow” quilt!

5. Lucy says:

oh MY
    I am sorry… but I must add to all the gasping 🙂 It is stunning. Truly gorgeous. The colours are inspired… I would never think to put such vibrant tones together like that but DAMN it works so well! 🙂
    And I can’t believe you quilted it yourself. It looks perfect to me. I can’t see any imperfections at all ..
    congrats. Gosh. I will need to lie down and recover now. xx

6. amanda8 says:

Great quilt! I really like the colors, and I think the quilting is great too. How on earth do you manage a whole quilt in a home machine? I want to try that, but I am scared!

7. hannah says:

hillary, your quilt is just as stunning! i loved your narration of your battle with the sewing machine, i know i make crazy faces while i am working all the time. i think this is the part of quilting that scares me the most, the quilting. from the few, very small (one yard!) baby blankets i have done with some “mock” quilting, i cant even fathom how you would wrangle a queen sized quilt under there!

8. heather says:

Wow – that quilt is just gorgeous! You are so talented – I absolutely love checking out your blog to see what fun things you’ve created.

9. kelly says:

I think your quilting looks fab! I know what you mean about wrestling with the quilt… I remember coming home sore and exhausted after my nights of doing free motion swirl patterns on Brynne’s quilt. Just trying to manage the weight of the quilt was almost too much – let alone get decent looking stitches! Phew!

10. stella says:

it’s the most gorgeous quilt i’ve ever seen – the colors are just stunning, all in combination with another. brilliant!! i wish i could quilt (but i have short attention span and am very lazy haha) xo stella

11. Rose says:

Kim’s is great, but yours is just as fine…it’s the main strength of that quilt design….if you get the colors right (no matter what colors) the quilt is beautiful! Wonderful job!

12. sandra lamb says:

Great quilt, going to make one similar for sure. My favourite quilts to make are squares and rectangles, and I have a superquilter that is great for meandering. Love the all the things you do, so talented.

13. Becky says:

I love your style, site, photography, and of course your creations, especially this quilt. Wonderful colour combination. It looks as though it’s been washed since you’ve done the quilting, it has that beautiful texture… Come over and visit me, I have my quilt posted. I’m new to blogland.

14. Cinnamon says:

I love these colors and I love the modern pattern. I’ve got this huge bin of fabric scraps and this just might be the pattern that gets me to give quilting something big a try again.
    You just continue to amaze me, Hilary.

15. Jenny Wren says:

Really? I have NO idea how I got to this posting in your blog but I am totally and entirely in love with that quilt. Seriously. I would divorce my husband tomorrow for that quilt. It’s soooo pretty….the kids are going to be sent to orphanages tomorrow so I can learn how to quilt. It must be done.

16. Paisley says:

Like all the other commenters here. WOW! This quilt looks great. I’ve got the book at the home and this wasn’t a pattern that had jumped out at me. But having seen your’s and Kim’s versions, it may well be added to ever-growing “to do” list.

17. Lauren says:

wow! soo pretty. im starting to make this quilt too and now im even more excited. hehe. ohh i have a question for you…did you use batting? ive never done this before and i cant tell if i really need it or not? let me know if you have time!