my weekend

We just spent two days in Indiana visiting friends. Two whole days away from the tv and I’m feeling a little better. Well, yeah, not really. I kept thinking that I’d feel so much better when everyone was evacuated. The impatient panicky feeling has subsided. But now the reality of how bad everything truly desperately f’ing sucks has sunk in and I feel calmly worse. I’m back to watching tv. I keep feeling like the only thing I can really do, besides donating to red cross, is to bear witness. I think my family is planning an intervention to get me off the tv. I’m not used to being a Mom at times like these. No self-indulgent mopey tantrums, can’t get stinking drunk, can’t watch tv 24-7, can’t stand around the water cooler sharing your shock and awe with your coworkers. Luckily Tim is home this week for vacation. Hopefully we’ll be able to keep our days action packed and fun filled and focus our attention until 8pm (bedtime) on the happy Lang family.

Craft-wise I’m derailed. I’m going to force myself back into it. I found this vintage dishtowel at an antique mall this weekend that I thought would work for this month’s tie one on.

Should turn out cute if I don’t botch it.

10 thoughts on “my weekend

1. amy k. says:

lovely photo and that vintage dishcloth is making me drool.
    baring witness. i know what you mean. it’s like you want to suffer too, so you suffer through the media onslaught. I still haven’t turned on the tv. NPR is all I can take.

2. Aimee Roo says:

what a lovely cloth. i think it will be perfect to get your mind off of things. it has been really hard to watch everything that is happening, but more than anything it reminds me to enjoy what i have while i can… things really can change in an instant.

3. Jess says:

I know how you feel – I pick up the newspaper every day and read about NOLA and find myself shouting at it in rage and disbelief.
    The dish cloth is great – hope it pull you back into crafting.

4. Dawn says:

Re/the linen towel…..I received one of those in a bridal shower gift…ummmm…..33 years ago…
    It is long gone, of course. Thanks for the flashback!! :o) I will be watching for this one on one of your pieces.

5. robin says:

not sure this belongs in the comment box, but here goes.
    sympathies. i’m the exact same way. i rarely watch tv and have been glued to it (before the intervention –they’re kind of nice if you’ve never had one. with all that attention!) crafting is seeming petty -well, not petty, just not as worthwhile as reading the ticker at the bottom of msnbc 1000000x over. i got on the computer once this weekend, to report a typo to msnbc on said ticker.
    a tragedy closer to home caused me to fall apart completely. a close friend lost his son. the hardest thing i had been grappling with was the hugeness of it all. and to have one loss hurt so many people who were able to come together to a clean and catered home. i pray i will never ever have to understand losing a child.
    all this to say, yeah. i understand bearing witness. its where i’m at too. and now, since the tv has been unplugged, all the way behind all kinds of stuff, i am forced to be with my family. and am reminded by every cute thing and all of the mundane things too, not to take anything for granted. and its working, today….

6. Gina says:

I’m right along side you all, over here on the other side of the planet, watching events unfold on Fox News. I was the same with 9/11 until I got so heart sick seeing the WTC destroyed over and over again, that I just couldn’t bear it any longer. And this is just as bad – no, worse. Not just the deaths and property devastation, but the unimaginable pollution problem…It will take years to clean up, if they can do it at all. My heart goes out to you all in the USA – you the people don’t deserve this kind of disaster.