Mini Me Apron & Doll for Hurricane Katrina Relief

I just found out about Crafters United on Etsy and would like to do a little something similar here. I hadn’t yet decided what to do with my "Mini Me" apron and doll and this seemed like the perfect thing. They’re up for auction now on the WeeAuction. I’ll pay the shipping costs and the total amount of your bid will go to the Red Cross.

Ok, now a little disclaimer… since this was my first time making this doll-in-a-apron idea what you’re getting is a prototype. She’s a little bit wonky & uneven and, more importantly, she is very untested for play. I was initially thinking of sending her on to one of my friends with daughters so they could test her out. I’m not sure what age little girl this would be best for and what level of play the doll would withstand. That said, she is soundly made. I’ll shore up her seams and I’m sure she’d make some little girl pleased as punch.

Thanks!

18 thoughts on “Mini Me Apron & Doll for Hurricane Katrina Relief

1. Katherine says:

Wonderfully thoughtful of you Hillary. Your site is great, I found your site via Loobylu. You lend inspiration with the talent which is reflected in your projects and that is held in your heart. I love the things you share here: patterns, ideas, nice big smiles!

2. Philippa says:

An inspiring apron, but even more inspiring is your donation – and not just of the profits but the whole amount! And not asking anything of the winning bidder for postage is kind and thoughtful and generous again! Ooh, ooh, I like your style! You’ve just made me think how I, too, can contribute from all the way over here in Australia. (Pssst, I’m here via Flickr.)

3. carol says:

What a great thing…I agree, 7 is perfect. my daughter has never shown interest in dolls until her 7th birthday. She now has a lot of tea parties and loves to change her clothes…yea, little girls being little!

4. carol says:

5. persephone says:

Hey Hillary…
    Just wanted to let you know, MY MOM CALLED ME! I was so relieved to hear her voice. She is well, except she has no more trees in her yard or shingles on her roof. Her cell phone will let her call out, but I can’t call her. 🙁 I’m so glad to see so many people willing to donate their beautiful crafts for the sake of everyone (including my family and friends) who have had their lives devastated by this storm.

6. Rachel says:

I’ve got a 7-year-old … 😉
    One of the things I like about you and your site, Hillary, is that you seem really generous with your talent — (I’m thinking of the shrinky dink tutorial, and other things on your site that show your willingness to share your inspirations, your sources, your patterns, etc.). This is another great example of that open-heartedness. Good for you.

7. elizabeth says:

hillary, i just wanted to say that the thoughtfulness of this wonderful crafty community brings tears to my eyes. where i live is where katrina hit (i just got electricity yesterday) and the devistation here is unfathomable. so what all of you gals (and guys) are doing makes my heart swell.
    big hugs to all of you 🙂