Dagmar

Please meet Dagmar. She is a foreign exchange student from the hinterland.

She is enjoying her new home in the Chicago suburbs but misses her pastoral homeland, especially her pet goose. I made her these little pink shoes to try to get her mind off the goose.

But it didn’t work. She still had her head buried in The Story About Ping.

So we decided to take her to the zoo to chase geese with Oscar.

She thought that was a great time but was still a little melancholy when we got home. That was until she got into the Erzgebirge and adopted this little wooden friend. Now she’s a happy girl.

67 thoughts on “Dagmar

1. dawn says:

these little dolls are adorable enough without adding cute stories! but I love it!
    PS package sitting in car for a week now, promise to get it in the mail. really.

2. sunni says:

So not only are you beyond creative with your softies but now you’re a master storeyteller too! How do you do it?! 🙂 She is amazing and I’m so glad she found a little friend to love!

3. Stephanie says:

Mia wants to know, “Is that a doll or a real person!?” You totally made her come alive. The hair is so fantastic. The shoes! Did you end up using one of those Fiskars punches on the felt?

4. lisa says:

She is just fantastic – especially chasing the gooose…hilarious!
    I thought I’d finally delurk too, and tell you your work is fab.

5. alexia says:

okay…amazing…full of life and personality…she is just swell!! way to go hillary! ps e-mail me about that folky cord fabric I’d love to swap or send you a half yard!

6. Melissa says:

I luff her! The hair! The shoes! And hey, I recognize that skirt fabric! 🙂
    The story and accompanying photos are absolutely perfect. Perhaps you should write a children’s book featuring one of your splendid creations and their various photographed adventures!

7. amy k. says:

that photo of her reading the book is priceless-and you will laugh hard when you see my self-portrait tomorrow.
    she is WONDERFUL and I love her name!

8. carol says:

Okay, I just had to comment…I love this doll’s crooked little smile.Truly inspiraitional. I too live in the Chicago area and if I saw Miss Dagmar at the zoo my daughter Penelope (with the help of her older siblings)and I may have had to innocently kidnapped her! Well done.

9. carol says:

Okay, I just had to comment…I love this doll’s crooked little smile.Truly inspiraitional. I too live in the Chicago area and if I saw Miss Dagmar at the zoo my daughter Penelope (with the help of her older siblings) and I may have had to innocently kidnapped her! Well done.

10. abby says:

This doll is amazing! Her hair is too cool for school. I would love to buy a “brother” for my newborn nephew-please sell some!BTW-I am a lurker who just had to comment-thanks for all your great posts!

11. Laura says:

Not like you need my comment but I will anyway!
    The hair, the shoes, the smile, the story, the pictures, you just continue to out-do yourself! She’s precious.

12. suzy says:

i’m de-lurking too! she’s adorable and i love the idea of a photographed childrens book with some of your creations and their adventures – that would be awesome. i always love your site, so many inspirational things…

13. michelle says:

There used to be a Canadian Film Board shortfilm called “Canada’s Hinterland” that the CBC would play when a show ended early. I always think of it whenever it’s the middle of winter and I’d rather not go outside into the barren arctic weather. 🙂

14. hillary says:

Thanks so much for all the nice comments on Dagmar!! I’m so excited about this design and am bursting with ideas for her. Now just how to find the time. I’d love to do a childrens book with my dolls as characters. That’d be so much fun! I need to start collecting doll sized accessories and furniture.
    Tim worked the photoshop magic for Dagmar chasing the duck (of course!) and did an amazing job! I did the posing and took the photographs for the other shots.
    I did use the fiskars hole punch that Julie sent me (thank you!) for the shoes. It worked like a dream on the felt.
    And it’s great to hear from all you de-lurkers. Hello!
    Lastly, oh dear, of course Dagmar is a girl’s name! Its source is dag mar, a Scandinavian phrase meaning “Maiden of daylight.” If Oscar had been a girl that very well may have been his name.

15. JoAnn says:

Hillary, you have outdone yourself. The hair, the shoes, the story. You should be writing children’s stories in addition to your crafting. Are you making some sisters for Dagmar so your mother can pass them out to her friends?

16. Hanna says:

I still think you should do a childrens book like this one! I would buy it for my kids, I promise!
    She must be one of your best, she is so well made. I like the eyes with the buttons and her hair style a lot!

17. debbie says:

I really hope you do a children’s book. You’ve got a great start for one here. And the adorable pictures of your other dolls…it would be huge! I love the buns!

18. Lisa says:

stephanie and i are both impressed with the hair. my lord. we have both been known to wear our hair like that, but with yarn? you are so talented!
    lisa

19. Rachel says:

I love her, too! The colors you chose are really great, especially that shade of red for her hair and that great pink for the shoes. You’re an inspiration — yours is the first site I visit every morning (well, after eBay 🙂 ) and I never fail to marvel at your originality and workmanship! Wow!

20. Felipe Lopez says:

Please could you tell me, what does “DAGMAR” mean the name is cool. I like it. I´m from Mexico Have a nice day jan 26 th 2006