As a present to myself for sticking with this weblogging thing for a whole year I made myself a queen sized coin quilt from some of the fabrics I’ve used this year for wee wonderfuls. The fabrics are ones I’ve used in projects or have bought/thrifted or received in the mail this year. Ok, let’s do the game first and more on the quilt after.
GAME OVER: Ok, ok, Tim was right – it may have been a little too hard. Games should be hard though right! I hope it was still fun. I have our 5 winners – Jordana, Kim, Kelly, Shanna and Julie – who is in Singapore and set her alarm to wake up and play!
Thanks everyone who played! Please feel free to add flickr notes to the other fabrics now. I think it’d be fun to have them eventually all identified.
Ok, let’s see who has been paying attention this year! Over at flickr are close ups of the quilt. Some of the squares have notes on them (when you mouse over the photo they will appear) which have questions underneath. There are 12 questions. Note: to view a larger version of the photos click "all sizes" which is an icon listed above the photo. The first 5 people to EMAIL (hillarylang at gmail dot com) me the correct answers win a wee pincushion. And it is first come first pick on who gets which wee. Please don’t leave answers in the comments on flickr or here. And please don’t add extra notes to the flickr photos until the game is done. Don’t forget about the search feature on the site. That should be helpful. Thanks for playing! I hope it’s fun!!
So this was my big project. The one that my Bernina pooped out halfway through. I’ve been wanting to make a coin quilt for a while now and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to do it. I love the idea of having one big keepsake that reminds me of all the projects I’ve worked on over the year. The construction was really easy. I followed this example that I saw over at Be Be Bold quilts. My rectangles were 7" x 4" and the finished measurements are something like 85" x 90". For the quilting I just in the ditch’d it down the long vertical sashings and then horizontally across the edges of every rectangle. It was surprisingly easy – a queen sized quilt I can actually quilt on my home sewing machine. very cool! The biggest problems I ran into were running out of things, my sewing machine running out of time, running very low on white fabric so in the end I had to sew together a stack of 20" strips to make the binding, running out of thread – I used up the ends of about 5 different spools of white, and running out of patience sewing on the 20 miles of binding. But I’m done now and super happy with it. Now that it is all photographed I can put it on my bed where it is going to live. I’d definitely make a quilt like this again. Although next time with more coordinating fabrics. For this one I had to just let go and accept that it wasn’t going to be a cohesive design but rather just a hodgepodge.
And now for a little mushy birthday bit. I just want to sincerely thank everybody who visits wee wonderfuls and comments. I wish I could make everyone a pincushion! This weblogging thing is so much fun and has been so fulfilling. It has so amazing to connect to a community and meet so many great people, especially now that I’m stay-at-home-momming. thanks!