home on the range

Here’s my apron for Amy‘s tie one on. While I was mulling over the theme – Home on the Range – I saw this breathtaking photo by David J. Nightingale over on Chromasia.

Chromasiasmaller

So my h.o.t.r. interpretation is Big Sky.

Homeontherange1_1

I used the same pattern as I did for the sashiko apron, zigzag’d some mountains and green grass and then embroidered a few sheep. My homestead has fuzzy sheep.

Homeontherange2

72 thoughts on “home on the range

1. robiewankenobie (on lj) says:

that is so inventive and unique. i love how your ideas translate into all of these different crafty directions…

2. Kim says:

Nice! I LOVE how the patterned and solid blue work together. And of course the french knot (?) sheep. Is the apron pattern commercial or did you create it yourself?

3. Lucy says:

toooo gorgeous. What a lovely interpretation… I love that you showed us your inspiration too… it’s so nice to see where the idea came from. I am always interested to see works in progress, preliminary sketches/plans and visual diary stuff… to really see the whole process rather than just the finished piece. Thanks! x

4. kerrie says:

That is just gorgeous, I love the sheep. This is the best thing about collaberations like this, seeing everyone’s interpretations of the theme!

5. Nanc says:

Your apron is truly a work of art! That’s beautiful and amazing and all other sorts of complimentary terms. Really, job well done. Huzzah!

6. sunni says:

Hi Hillary,
    Well I’ve visited about 4 times since last night just to see this lovely apron again so I thought it’d be a good time to say how much I like it! ๐Ÿ™‚ Does your creativity ever end?!

7. kelly says:

Really gorgeous – I’ve always been a sucker for blue and green! It really does capture the peace and serenity from your inspiration photo. Well done!

8. abbyjane says:

Your apron is really stunning. You should put it up on a wee auction – I’m sure it would sell for a nice price. I am also wondering about the pattern. Is this something your came up with or is it a commercial pattern?

9. amy k. says:

ah. what I love about this is how inspired you are by photography and can move this into a textile medium without the “clutter” fabric can add sometimes. lovely. and it captures the mood of the photo so well. also, I love the print you used for the sky, so subtle and perfect!

10. Hillary says:

wow! thanks for all the comments!! It’s wonderful to hear from everybody. My apron feels very loved now. It was feeling a little “well I’ll just throw this together and see if it works” and “it’ll just end up all damp and dingy from use anyway”. Now I’ll feel bad actually using it!
    The fabrics were all ones I had on hand. That solid blue matched the printed blue so well. That printed one I had leftover from a first iteration of my kimono quilt. And the bright bright green is something Giao sent me forever ago.
    Some asked after the pattern I used for the apron shape – it’s the same one I used for that apron from the japanese sashiko book, New Style of Sashiko…
    It’s 94cm wide, 37cm tall with 4 little darts in the front.

11. Julie says:

I love your quilts and your wees, but I think the apron is the best thing you’ve ever made. You could make a career out of creating these. I know the photo inspired you, but I think your immersion in children’s book illustrations has been an influence as well. Well done!