copycat

I spotted this great tote bag at Old Navy last week. I can’t find it online unfortunately. It was huge (which I desperately need in a bag) and such a cute shape so I knocked it off. This is my version…

Copycat

It turned out really well. I didn’t have enough of the fabric that I originally intended to use so that’s a bit of a disappointment but I’m happy to have a big bright green cheerful bag.

Oscar and I are collaborating. We might add some buttons…

Copycatbuttons

To finish this bag I had to lug the sewing machine into the kitchen to be near one of our 2 precious a/c units. My craft room is a disaster because I cannot bear to be it’s stiffling heat. The week’s weather forcast for Chicago shows no little relief. I’m beyond crabby about this. I’m very tempted to pack up all our belongings in my big green bag and check us into a hotel!

21 thoughts on “copycat

1. arc says:

love that bag. there’s nothing like a big bright green bag to brighten your day … great work. try to stay cool out there, mav is in the midwest right now and she said it was crazy hot.

2. Sarah says:

That bag is awesome! My sister has been asking me for ages for a big travel bag, so I’m collecting ideas. I must add this to the list!

3. lulu says:

Super cute bag! I wonder what you lined it with? I can empathize with you about the heat…I don’t have any aircon here in Michigan…it’s hard to get crafty when you’re dripping with sweat 🙂

4. kelly says:

Really cute bag – I love the fabric! When we get too hot out here (which I know is not nearly as often as you…), I sometimes take Brynne to the mall where there is AC and a playground! It’s heaven for her, and tolerable for me, but you have to have something portable for crafting… (crochet, knitting, etc.).

5. maryse says:

just a couple of weeks ago, everyone in new england was complaining about the nor’easter we were having and how cold it was. except for me. because i knew it was just a matter of time before it would be stifling hot. and it is now. give me 50 degree nor’easter weather over 88 degrees and high humidity any day.

6. amanda says:

Love the bag!! That fabric is just adorable–perfect match with the shape. And it’s too funny–I’ve been beating the heat today inside making a tote bag myself! Hope it cools off your way soon!

7. Siri says:

Nice bag. I’d love to see the other fabric you really wanted to make it in, too. If you think your weather is bad, come out to Montana. Maybe something in the middle, like 70 degrees would be best? I’m not happy once it hits the low to mid 80s either.

8. debbie says:

Look at you!! That bag is gorgeous and you just put it together in no time at all!! You’re amazing! And the picture with Oscar and the buttons, too cute! It looks like he could fit right in the bag! An overnight adventure to a hotel with AC and a swimming pool…..not a bad idea!

9. elizabeth says:

you are totally my newest form of inspiration! girl you rock. you look at a bag at a store and then go home and make it?
    luv the bag and luv the design that oscar has for it 🙂
    oh and about the weather, its better than worrying about a tropical storm getting ready to hit (which is what i have to worry about for the weekend…yuck!)

10. Jennifer says:

Very clever bag! Remember that it takes a smart cookie to make a great knock-off. Better than Old Navy any day.

11. carly says:

WOW double wow…the eric carle museum is on my list of things to do!!! I teach about him and his art in my classes…how cool would it be to take my students on an excursion there (when I win the lotto)
    ps I made a monkey with some of the fab fabric you sent me 🙂

12. Hillary says:

Amy – more pics…
    If you want I’ll send you the tissue paper pattern I made.
    Siri – fabric I wanted to use…
    Lulu – you can see the lining in the picture above. not that exciting, just a green that’s a little off. I used it because it’s this cool slickery fabric that you can wipe off. good for mom’ing around.

13. Alexis says:

I have been looking high and low for the exact bag you are talking about however I have not been as lucky either. I would so love to know how you made it as I am a sewer too but have not made a handbag/tote before. Great job its exactly the same.