thrift fix

Sometimes I get all shaky… panicked, knots in my belly. Then I know I have to get to the thrift store quick. I become obsessed with all the dirty musty treasures that are out there for the taking and I’m not taking them. My husband is very understanding of my thrift disease and when I get a nasty bout of it he goes to great measures to help me out. Like going into work 2 hours late or begging rides off coworkers so I can have the car. Even Oscar was cooperative and spent the whole thrift trip gnawing on the plastic ladder of a little fire engine instead of whining and tantruming. Here are my finds.

Some awesome fabrics…

I love the mod black and white pod-like flowers on top of the other bright primary floral

Thriftedfabric1

This will make a very cute doll dress

Thriftedfabric2

I LOVE this one!

Thriftedfabric3

Marimekko napkin

Thriftedfabric4

date on selvage is 1970

Thriftedfabric5

red, navy and white – the color scheme of my youth. I can never resist it.

Thriftedfabric6

Thriftedfabric7

fun decals to send out with packages

Decals

This adorable vintage 70s little girl dress/top/smock has a big green ink blob on it but I thought it’d be so cute as an art smock for a little girl. I originally grabbed it for the fabric but it’s so cute it’d be a shame to cut it up. It’s a size 7. I don’t know kids sizes at all. Stephanie – maybe for Mia?

Smock

Baby girl’s knit dress with little kitty on it. I can’t decide if it is cute or scary.

Kittydress

an embroidery book that has pretty cute patterns. Jen – I thought maybe you’d like it?

Embroiderybook1

Embroiderybook2

Embroiderybook3

patterns I could not resist… crocheted pot holders (I’ll have to find a good home for this since I can’t crochet for crap) and an apron pattern – check out the boy apron – woot!

Patterns

and a little something for Tim

Pitcher

I’m calm and happy. for now.

28 thoughts on “thrift fix

1. Pixie says:

I love the mustard w/ the pink, maroon, & orange flowers! So cool. (I just back from thrifting myself – no fabric but I got two aprons & 3 sewing books!)

2. Jane says:

I just peformed a wee search on the word “cute” and there were 189 matches. Ha! That’s more than “Oscar” or “fabric” but less than “doll”.
    Anyway, the kitty dress is totally cute, not scary, you silly.

3. Susanne says:

Okay, so how is it when I go to the thrift store there is only the navy polyester and old, smelly bedspreads left? Those are fabulous fabrics. What a score! I guess I need to move to Chicago…

4. backtacker says:

Gee… how to you find this stuff? The thrift (opportunity) shops where I live are nowhere near this good. I LOVE the orange/pink/olive floral. Lucky you!

5. amy k. says:

oh-good finds! wow-quite a loot-I’m headed out the door now for my fix, pete stopped working early-
    and red, navy, and white are my childhood colors too-sigh. takes me back to disneyland when I was 5.

6. Stacie says:

Lucky…That’s fun stuff!!!
    I just got back from a thrift store here that is open later on Thursday night. I scored 5 yards of fabric and a huge bag of zip ties for pricing my items. I neeeeeeed more thrift!!!

7. moki says:

Ok you know we need serious help when some of us are contemplating moving to the Chicago area just for the thrift stores!
    Hey and what about embroidering something over the green ink spot? Maybe the name of whatever child you give it to? It would go great with the style and era!

8. Stephanie says:

Great finds! I love it all.
    I think that top is adorable (put an applique on the blob, maybe?) and probably just Mia’s size. Up for another trade?

9. abbyjane says:

How funny that you were just thinking of making Tim and apron, and then you found the boy apron pattern! I love the fabric you found. Have fun with it!

10. Steph says:

I sewed up the very same apron from that pattern about 10 years ago–I’ve since lost the pattern but I have a very flattering apron left over! Good choice!

11. Heidi says:

I can’t believe you find such great stuff at your thrift stores! I rarely find any fabric or pattern prizes! Living vicariously through you!

12. Lia says:

wow, i love all the fabric! the kids shirt is pretty dreamy too, i bet you could easily cover the stain with some neat trim!

13. rachelkates says:

Hey, total score on the boy apron pattern! On my last trek to the thrift store by DePaul University, I found an obviously new XL Ralph Lauren sweater for about 20 bucks. It’s either going to be shrunk in the washer to my size, or taken apart and wound into balls of super-discounted yarn. I love rescuing this kind of stuff.

14. kelly says:

Awesome scores! If you see a potholder or two that you’d like, email a scan of the pattern and I’ll send them your way! I’ve got to get some thrifting in…

15. Hanna says:

I have the same desease! Thanks for explaining how it works, you just have to go with the thrift shop flow right? I like the pink one for doll dresses best! Lucky strike!

16. kathreen says:

i love going to the thrift stores and grabbing bargains, though it seems there are fewer out there these days (in my town anyway), luckily most of these stores have a toy corner to keep my 2 year old happy.