shaker

Not much going on around here. Craft-wise I’m working on my back-tack project and putting together a bunch of packages. Oscar-wise I’m trying to get used to the new haircut we gave him last night. We chopped it all off and now with the super short hair Oscar doesn’t look so much like my little baby anymore – in fact he looks like trouble! Looks like the SuperNanny should be pulling up to our door any minute. Odd what a difference a haircut can make.

The other thing running through my addled mind today, besides willing Oscar’s hair to grow, is daydreaming about a place to move to where we could actually afford a house. It’s a useless endeavor as I don’t know how we could take this baby away from his grandparents and auntie, but still it’s addictive looking around on realtor.com. It’s amazing how low housing prices are in some parts of the country. What spurred this on is our friends just up and bought a huge beautiful farm house in Indiana for nothing. And they bought a lot of the furnishings along with it. The photos they showed us are amazing, fireplace in every room, wide plank maple floors, etc. Put me in a country mood so I had to go check out one of my favorite sites, Shaker Workshops. These are some of my longtime shaker crushes that I will have to have for the cool mod 70s split level with walk out basement and mountain view for 150K that I’m hoping to find on realtor.com one of these days.

meeting house bench

Meetinghousebench

low shelves

Lowshelves

shaker box of any kind

Ovalcarrier

and of course the cherry spoons!

Cherryspoons

29 thoughts on “shaker

1. amanda says:

Oh, those are just lovely images. The spoons are gorgeous. I do the same realtor.com searches–I’ll go anywhere, I keep thinking, for the perfect old, affordable farmhouse. Ah…dreaming.

2. Stephanie says:

I’m delurking to say: I love looking on realtor.com too! The way the housing market is in our area it’s unlikely we’ll ever find the ‘dream house.’ But like you said, we’d hate to move away from the cousins, aunts, and grandparents that love our sweet daughter to bits.

3. laurie b. says:

I do the same thing with our local online real estate listings… my weaknesses are bungalows. They’d look so nice with some of these fusnishings you’ve found. Especially the bench. It is so pretty — I love the warmth of the wood.

4. stef says:

thank you for sharing your favorite link – i have been looking for pretty pressed botanical prints for a long time.
    i hope you find the house you love soon!

5. Heidi says:

Lovely link–thank you! We torture ourselves everyday on the realty sites, too. We get depressed when we see how many acres we could afford if we would just move out of Southern California. Farmhouse in Indiana, eh? >sigh<

6. amy in az says:

Being an Indiana native and living there the first 24 years of my life, I do sometimes think of the “land opportunities” I left behind in my manifest destiny to Arizona! lol If you are looking for some great shaker pieces, you must take a day trip down to Southern Indiana where lots of that stuff is just in road side litte stores!

7. Lisa says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the spoons! wow. and good luck in your “place to move” search…we’d love to have you in california, but lord is it expensive here…

8. cat says:

there’s the south and the south east too. wide open spaces. cheap, real cheap living. i presently rent a 595 sq ft apt downtown for 550 all utilities included. not a sham. housing is expensive. the best bet is saving up a huge down payment like 20%, while you wait.

9. Kristen says:

I feel your pain…we just (gulp) leaped into the Southern California housing market. For what we paid for our tiny condo here we could probably buy a huge house and acreage in Atlanta or Wyoming or someplace…best wishes on your Shaker farmhouse dreams…love the basket!

10. robiewankenobie says:

i used to work for a shaker craftsman. boy his stuff was great. totally traditional, beautiful woods. too bad he was such a tool.

11. joy madison says:

we just moved from Indiana to Seattle, and although the houses are cheap the economy is depressed also. a) you can’t find a job that makes enough money to support your habits:) b) you can’t sell your house after you buy it. This is just our experience, but we tried to sell our $50,000 house for 6 1/2 months before it actually sold….:( It finally did last month and boy am I happy.

12. Heidi says:

I know exactly how you feel…surrounded by all kinds of architectural goodness that most people totally can’t afford. And the ugly stuff is pricey too. Bah.

13. Stephanie says:

I totally hear ya about the haircut. As you know, Miles got his cut the other day and he looks like a little thug! I love to rub his head though.
    Move to Portland!

14. Jennifer in Tokyo says:

Ah, housing! Here, it’s not the house. Those are dispensable, disposable, and no one ever cares what the house look like. Especially if it’s old–will get torn down immediately, and a house will subtract from the value of the land because of the cost of tearing it down. It’s the LAND people are after. How about spending millions on a piece of land, and then thinking about the dream house? Some people build extremely narrow 3-story houses with steep staircases on tiny pieces of land with elevators built-in for elderly grandparents to use.

15. Mary says:

I grew up very close to the Shaker community in Canterbury, NH, and my dad did a lot of restoration of the houses there. I have a huge love for the simple Shaker design too, and I love hearing other’s take on it. :)

16. coffee-drinker says:

i let my friend Art do the real estate shopping for me, i infected him with my love of Maine & now he calls to tell me about cheap farmhouses up north (always with a barn for my studio!) some friends of ours built a whole cabin from scratch & just bought the local coffee shop in searsport! i wish it was that easy for me, but until i learn how to drive it’s no more than a dream.

17. Susanne says:

I thought I was the only one that wanted to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere! I am as wellin love the simplicity, craftmanship, and style of the Shakers. Thanks for the link, the baskets are great.

18. mrspilkington says:

my first time posting a comment…
    my goodness, those are gorgeous. and thanks for the link! i’m with you on the housing thing. here in nyc, the prices are just…incomprehensible.

19. friendbunny says:

i left boulder, colorado for the easy life here in new hampshire. while the weather may sometimes suck (not worse than when i was in chicago this fall) and it is no eastern ky housing prices, it is pretty great to live here. you CAN pay red state prices in a blue state! sorry, i just think you all should move close. tim could commune computers with colby and we could craft day-long…

20. bellablue says:

We live about 20 minutes from the only remaining Shaker Community. Its at Sabbath Day Lake in Maine. My husband built a gorgeous Shaker table once but our style has changed to Arts & Crafts (Craftsman) and any future furniture will probably be in that style.
    Kepp checking out realtor.com! You NEVER know what you’ll find! Dave and I thought it would be years before we could afford a house but we found a fabulous mortgage woman and it made all the difference.

21. Sarah says:

My husband and I have a ten-year plan to move somewhere we can be outdoors a lot and simplify our lives – find jobs we love or start/buy our own business. I hope it doesn’t just turn out to be one of the never-come-true dreams. We have a big house with a big yard right now, but it’s in the suburbs and we both work for The Man, so nothing’s perfect. Yay for realtor.com!! And that Shaker furniture is absolutely beautiful.

22. kelly says:

Funny, I was just thinking (to myself, last night) and talking (to my boyfriend, this morning) about how the Shaker ‘religion’ really would have been perfect for me. I’ve been to a couple old Shaker communities and dream about them since. Also, the order and cleanliness! Keeping busy! Working hard to enjoy life — or, as they saw it, Heaven on Earth! But, then again, they were celibate…so that part would suck. Luckily, they used to have a sort of ‘open enrollment’ policy, meaning a person could be a Shaker (or, at least, live with them) for a year, a summer, whatever. Yes, I have actually thought this out — how I would live a celibate Shaker lifestyle for a summer.

23. Jason Leary says:

SHAKER
    Those Shaker Revival wooden spoons are beatific in their plain beauty. They exemplify cleanness and the truly well lighted room !
    I hope and pray that you folks find a beautiful house in the country where you can drink water from a deep well , grow crops , and gaze at the stars (far from the noise of the suburbs) .
    I hope to one day have a spacious yet modest house in the country . Say, a prayer that I will one day .
    ‘ And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God’ —
    (Psalm 40:2)