Look what I found!

Anyone remember when I posted about Cars and Trucks, an old Golden Book with illustrations by Richard Scarry? And there was this page that stuck out like a sore 70s thumb in the middle of an all 50s book.

I found a picture of the original page on ebay!

Thatgoldenbook

Dad smoking a pipe reading a book, mom inside the trailer doing the dishes and the boys outside playing with hatchets and guns.

28 thoughts on “Look what I found!

1. susanne says:

a little more pc huh? i love how the newer one shows the dad taking care of the baby while the mom kicks back. much better than the original 🙂

2. dawn says:

I love the original! I know the new one is pc but honestly… What I love the most is that they updated just the one set of pictures. How odd.

3. evelyn says:

that is awesome! for a minute i actually thought that was a woman in the trailer in the 70s version, which for a moment made it a lesbian couple. 2500 reprint of the book, maybe?
    you’d think that when they frankensteined the reprint they would have faked it a little better so it wasn’t so obvious.
    it makes me really happy when you post about children’s books. but then, i have 4 tattoos of children’s book illustrations so i am a biased sample of your readership.

4. Jennifer in Tokyo says:

That is so interesting! You’d think they could just edit out the gun and “cowboys and Indians” bit changing the whole thing. Very funny how the car got a groovy facelift, but the kitty stayed the same. What a find.

5. Miz Booshay says:

I wonder what the editor objected to the most in the original??
    The smoking?
    Tbe children with weapons?
    Or the mom being domestic?
    Really interesting! Thanks for sharing!
    Donna

6. Leslie says:

I don’t know what amazes me more: the fact that you found the missing page or the fact that the page changed!
    I LOVE comparing the two illustrations. It absolutely cracks me up!!!
    Good job, eagle eye! 🙂

7. Hil says:

Hi :-). I thought you might be interested in a similar illustration, this time by Tibor Gergely from the Little Golden Book ‘Houses’ by Elsa Jane Werner. I’ve put it on my blog, entry for May 4th. I wonder if this illustration was updated in the 70’s as well?

8. Melissa says:

Dear Hilary,
    Recently in a very tiny quaint second hand book shop in the country I found a Richard Scarry Golden Book called ‘Brave Cowboy Bill’. I thought the cover looked cute so I scooped it up with all the others I wanted. When I got home I was so surprised at the words though and it is hidden in my studio! If you’d like to see any pictures I am happy to post them on my flickr.

9. Hanna says:

Haha you and Myra are into childrens books and gender roles today! I like the lazy mom better but the older picture is nicer made. But strange that they just took the old one out.

10. Jo Ann says:

What a keen eye you have, great catch.
    I love that the 70s politically correct update is so void of character compared to the original.

11. Bettsi says:

The baby in the playpen is what caught my eye too. By the 70’s that was a big no-no. So instead we have this: See Daddy handle the baby. See baby crawl under the trailer. See the dingo eat the baby!

12. Hil says:

Thanks for the link about Scarry, Rosa. I hadn’t realised until reading this thread and your link that he had done so much before his later animal character books.

13. Amy says:

I am new to your site. I love it. I also bought that book for my son and found those pages to be quite awkward. I am so glad that you solved the mystery.

14. Mary says:

The original “Brave Cowboy Bill” Little Golden Books are going for $250.00 on abebooks.com and that is WITHOUT the puzzle that came with it!
    With the puzzle it’s going for over $350.00